Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Exotic Foods

Fluttershutter

So what unusual foods have you tried and what do you want to try?

I've had alligator(didn't taste like much), bison(like beef but more gamey, not as good), goat(was good and cooked spicy but a ton of bone), recently tried duck for the first time(not terribly different from chicken).

I also once tried toasted ants. They didn't even taste bad, kind of nutty, but not especially good and you get little legs stuck in your teeth. :eww: And it pretty much ended my interest in eating bugs. You're basically just chewing on exoskeleton with a little bit of guts inside. At least with crab and lobster you take the shell off.

I'd like to try lots of stuff but especially goose, kangaroo, and lamprey.

• Brohoof 1

I try to eat as many unusual foods as possible, I see it as a hobby of mine. I've had quite some unusual meat; zebra, camel, snails, alligator, python, rat and many more. I occasionally also eat parts of 'normal' animals that are considered weird here, such as chicken hearts, stomachs or feet.

I've also had quite some bugs when I was in Asia; scorpions, millipedes, spiders and many others. They basically taste like wet potato chips with legs:-P

I would definitely consider myself a 'fruit hunter', trying as many fruits as possible is definitely one of my biggest hobbies. I'm basically always looking in unusual shops or online for new fruits (usually tropical) and whenever I'm in the tropics I spend most of my time looking for new fruit at markets or in the jungle itself. I've also made quite some connections with people who have been able to get some of the hard-to-get exotic for me. There are waaaaay more fruits than you can find in a normal supermarket. I am keeping a list of fruits that I've had and I've currently had about 200 kinds of fruit, most of which are completely unknown to most people. I also try to grow most of these exotic fruits. Despite living in a rather cold and cloudy country, I have had quite some success with that! 

• Brohoof 4

I am often in cologne in a restaurant called Mongos (a mongolese restaurant) who have a lot of exotic food like crocodile, ostrich or zebra. And off course, I tried everything of it. Besides this, I often eat some exotic dishes from different parts of the world (but mostly from eastern asia). It is always interesting to try something new.

I've cooked up my own snails before but that was gross. Most exotic meat I've had was Ostrich. My experience with Bison and Duck were very different. It's been some years but I remember Bison being larger in muscle grain and oddly enough sweeter, which has been the case for all the alternative red meats I've had, which is very peculiar since a diet of corn and other grains should be sweeter than grass so I don't know what's been going on there, but this has definitely been the case for me with Elk. Duck was very gamey, I've had it two times and both the meat was completely brown :laugh:. I've had rabbit, didn't much care for it. Tried eating it like chicken but there's way more tendon. Most exotic fruit I've had was Prickly Pear. I remember it not having a whole lot of flavor but being quite juicy. I had one cut up, sitting in the fridge for months in it's own puddle. Nothing happened to it. It was very red, like beet juice, so I thought I might try dying something with it, but I ended up throwing it out instead.

Wow, people consider duck and goat exotic. I guess in some parts of the world they might be, but I eat duck regularly, and used to eat goat and drink goat milk when I was a kid.

Nowadays the most exotic things I eat are probably fruits like rambutan or feijoa, but again, they are only exotic where I live.

Probably most exotic thing I can think of that I've had was deer pepperoni. Not really too weird but still.

I’ve had alligator, kangaroo, goose, duck, venison, rabbit, bison and elk.  I can’t even begin going into exotic dishes and stuff like that.  If you do get a chance to try kangaroo, I highly recommend it!

Quail meat I suppose, or rabbit meat, or snails.

As for fruits, I really like dragon fruit, passion fruit, and lychees (though those peels fall off everywhere...)

Also had chips made with “cricket flour” once :P Don’t remember what exactly they tasted like... 

I've had escargot, toasted cricket (which was cheddar bacon flavored but otherwise just dry and tasteless), Alligator jerky, tripe, czarnina (Polish duck blood soup), frog legs (yes, they taste like fishy chicken) and some pretty nasty casseroles. But I like almost everything as a rule because it's an adventure just trying new dishes.

I want to try Ostrich and Shark. I've heard that they're both very tasty and rich.