Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Season 9 really off to that good of a start?

Plonkett

Granted, so far I've like episodes 1-2 and 4, and thought 3 was ok (if not random). But recently I've seen Moliminous's reviews of the episodes, and I think he makes good points.

All it did was make me think of the state of the show's writing quality. It's not often that people in the fandom acknowledge the flaws of the episodes and would just blindly praise it. It also makes me think that the episodes this season really are mediocre and we just don't realize it. What are your thoughts?

Edited by vgmaster9
  • Brohoof 1

I'd be careful about letting a reviewer or critique influence your view on an episode. I fell into that same trap years ago with the likes of DigiBrony and Tommy Oliver. No offense to them, but they were quite critical of many episodes around the season 2-3-4 era and it made me question why I liked some episodes that were flawed. Took me a while to realize that flaws or not; I don't need deep reasons to love an episode or not. It's why I appreciate some of the current reviewers like Silver Quill, Firebrand, and Dr. Wolf for their more measured approach; even if they are critical.

As it stands; I think season 9 has had an outstanding start. Both the premiere and Sparkle's Seven were great, and while Uprooted wasn't fantastic it left me quite satisfied. :)

• Brohoof 5

Overall, I am aware this is the last season, so that sadness is colouring my opinions somewhat.

First episode(s) - not sure about dragging out an old pre-gen bad guy as the final season "threat from the past" and/or resurrecting (literally, in one case) the threats from previous seasons, but hey, its their show - a "supervillain dream team" is cliché, but they could get it to work. Keeping an open mind, and the hope that something more lasting will be done to Chrysalis (although given the return of sombra, apparently nothing is too perminent in ponyland)

Sad that they destroyed the tree and elements, but I can see the symbolism - we are moving from the "mane six" generation, and that feeds nicely into the idea that the young six were summoned to construct its replacement. That said, I did feel they nerfed the development of the young six badly so as to pad out the middle of the show with their petty bickering (but yeah, if you have a 10 minute show idea but need to fill it out to 22, that's what happens). Would have preferred that there be some significant obstacle they had to overcome as a team, rather than what happened here, but maybe too much harmony is a bad thing?

But also -

cutest.

Rock

EVER....

And finally, the crown mcguffin. Seriously? yeah, it is great to see an episode that doesn't nerf spike for cheap plot points, but the crown came far too much out of left field for me on this one, and what could have been a much stronger episode felt weaker for it.

Still, roll on this weekend and E5 :)

Edited by CypherHoof

Personally, I liked the first two episodes, I think they are among the best season openers in the history of the show. Episode 3 was OK, maybe Student Six fans liked it better than me. Episode 4 was great for many reasons. So, all in all, I think the start of the season was pretty solid. As for the reviews, I try to avoid them, because reviewers tend to overanalyze everything, nitpick and sometimes criticize for the sake of criticism.

I think the season started in a good way, the premiere was one of my top 10 favorite episodes, and sparkles 7 was a very good and enjoyable episode as well while uprooted was the only one that wasn't good, not bad but dissapointing. So compared to last season its an improvement. We only saw 3 episodes so its too early to even judge the first half of the season, we will see how the rest goes, but so far I enjoyed every season I'm confident its going to be good.

Some critics just love to point the flaws in the show, even if its not really a flaw, they don't try to understand it, they see something that requires some dip thinking they just point it as a flaw, I am not saying they can't, but they don't want to. That's how I see it, of course not all critics are like this.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

I'd be careful about letting a reviewer or critique influence your view on an episode. I fell into that same trap years ago with the likes of DigiBrony and Tommy Oliver. No offense to them, but they were quite critical of many episodes around the season 2-3-4 era and it made me question why I liked some episodes that were flawed. Took me a while to realize that flaws or not; I don't need deep reasons to love an episode or not. It's why I appreciate some of the current reviewers like Silver Quill, Firebrand, and Dr. Wolf for their more measured approach; even if they are critical.

As it stands; I think season 9 has had an outstanding start. Both the premiere and Sparkle's Seven were great, and while Uprooted wasn't fantastic it left me quite satisfied. :)

I quite agree with you about the reviewers of Digibrony. Some of them got too critical for my tastes.

Personally, I would just want to enjoy the Final Season, both the good and bad.

• Brohoof 1

Also, OP, I dunno what fandom you're in but I've seen more people on this and other forums act overly critical of the show.

The Premiere was a misstep and a ridiculous mess, the third episode was mediocre and uninteresting characters and story wise. I liked the fourth episode. Before watching the forth episode, if the episode wasn't gonna be good, I was gonna lose hope for the whole show because I thought the first three episodes was that bad.

I also find lots of people are overly negative and sometimes even scared of criticisms towards the show. And being critical is vary important for being a fan. If there are two extremes : someone who likes whatever the show does and someone who hates whatever the show does, I think they are both equally wrong. We should think about why we like or dislike the show.

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I also find lots of people are overly negative and sometimes even scared of criticisms towards the show. And being critical is vary important for being a fan. If there are two extremes : someone who likes whatever the show does and someone who hates whatever the show does, I think they are both equally wrong. We should think about why we like or dislike the show.

I find more people overanalyzing the show and being too critical of it than people instead of just, y'know, watching it and having fun. I also highly recommend not listening to a popular MLP youtuber to get insight on episodes, and letting others think for themselves.

Yes, I would say it's off to a good start. I don't think taking an opinion from a no-name pony YouTuber really matters at all.

• Brohoof 1

The only episode of the season I didn't like so far has been Uprooted, Sparkle's Seven was desen't just not really deserving of all the hype it got but I loved The Point of no Return. Its ben decent so far not the best season or anything but every season has its duds,