Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Season 9 really off to that good of a start?

Plonkett

>clicks on Moliminous’s Sparkle’s Seven review
>hears him talk in a forced edgy way
>insults writers
>uses “autism” as an insult
>claims Spike is mostly despised because he’s a reflection of male brownies in general
Spoiler

>takes Applejack’s white lie of her alter ego seriously :huh:

>leaves

Yeah, that was a mistake. Act like some elitist, ableist punk, you don’t deserve to be taken seriously.

And he’s wrong. Season 9 is off to a good start. While it took last year a little bit to get off the ground, they got the ball rolling early this time.
  • Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:
>clicks on Moliminous’s Sparkle’s Seven review
>hears him talk in a forced edgy way
>insults writers
>uses “autism” as an insult
>claims Spike is mostly despised because he’s a reflection of male brownies in general
  Reveal hidden contents

>takes Applejack’s white lie of her alter ego seriously :huh:

>leaves

Yeah, that was a mistake. Act like some elitist, ableist punk, you don’t deserve to be taken seriously.

And he’s wrong. Season 9 is off to a good start. While it took last year a little bit to get off the ground, they got the ball rolling early this time.

OK. He may have his own opinion but using autism as an insult breaks all respect I have for him. Being an actual autistic person myself , this is very unprofessional for him to even think of. I used to use his channel to watch S6 episodes as they first air with no commentary after my family lost access to Discovery Family. 

How shameful.

EDIT

@Dark Qiviut 

Also thanks for pointing out how he 

Spoiler

takes Applejack’s white lie of her alter ego seriously.

As a white lie, it's allowed to be taken either way.

Edited by Will Guide

It's off to a way better start than some other seasons in the past. I thought every episode besides 'Uprooted' was better than average and even that one was passable(mostly because of Silverstream's singing). 

The Beginning of the End was a very dramatic start, moreso than what we've seen since probably season 5. So because of that I think it's only increased everyone's hype and expectations for big surprises and exciting developments. At least that's a feeling I've noticed in myself.

Spoiler

Honestly it's what I've heard about some of the upcoming episodes that worries me more.

While Season 9 is off to a good start, I'm still waiting to see the return of characters.

If anyone remembers the Diamond Dogs, their first and only appearance was in A Dog and Pony Show, dating all the way back to Season 1 and have made no further appearances in any other seasons. Same with Babs Seed, as I've yet to see her official cutie mark. It was mentioned in Crusaders of the Lost Mark, but because the previous voice actress left the show, it's been left completely ambiguous. Same with Blueblood, who also made his only appearance in the Season 1 finale of The Best Night Ever. It'd be interesting to see his origins and see if he has reformed or retain his snobbish behavior. And lastly I'd love to see Scootaloo's origins regarding her past if she's orphaned or if she had parents before, and an in-depth explanation of her inability to fly normally (yes, Rainbow Dash counts as a sibling, but they're not biologically related).

Yes, this has been mentioned before, but, just needed another mention to hopefully Hasbro (or Allspark) get the idea and include them in future episodes.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:33 AM, PathfinderCS said:

I'd be careful about letting a reviewer or critique influence your view on an episode. I fell into that same trap years ago with the likes of DigiBrony and Tommy Oliver. No offense to them, but they were quite critical of many episodes around the season 2-3-4 era and it made me question why I liked some episodes that were flawed. Took me a while to realize that flaws or not; I don't need deep reasons to love an episode or not. It's why I appreciate some of the current reviewers like Silver Quill, Firebrand, and Dr. Wolf for their more measured approach; even if they are critical.

As it stands; I think season 9 has had an outstanding start. Both the premiere and Sparkle's Seven were great, and while Uprooted wasn't fantastic it left me quite satisfied. :)

And to think others called me a shallow, uncritical loser for, as you said, "not needing deep reasons to love episodes."

(edited)

I know that everything that Moliminous says about the show should be taken with the grain of sarcasm. Doesn't mean I don't agree with him sometimes.

Edited by R.D.Dash

Molinimous is Molinimous. Is Lily Orchard the next credible source on the checklist? :maud:

Season 9 had a fantastic premiere, a decent Student Six episode, a great 200th episode, and a good Twilight/Spike episode. And tomorrow's episode has every reason to be good to honor a returning celebrity character going through a hard time in his life. I know that it all depends on who you ask, but I don't know anyone who is still committed to the show and the franchise that thinks that this season has thus far been bad.  

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Many of the points made are terrible and reek of an "intellectual" YouTuber who is critical for the sake of being critical
I will say this once; Being overly nitpicky and analyzing and picking apart every detail of an episode doesn't make your critique more valid, it makes you look like a cynical twat who watches things for the sole purpose of ruining the enjoyment for others. At the same time, he also has a ring of sarcasm to him that might just mean he is being purposefully...annoying. Either way, I don't like it :)

Let us compare, I would say the first 5 episodes of s9 are greater than the first five of seasons 8, 6, 3, and 1. About on par with 7 and 4, and worse than 5 (though the premiere of 9 is my favorite overall)
keeping this tend it would still end up one of my favorite seasons, except after this week and next week every episode has a super exciting synopsis with tons of potential. 

The Beginning of the End was fantastically well done, the writing quality was fantastic in the way it covers plot threads and elements differently than other two-parters while still feeling familiar and even calling out the shortcomings of previous large scale episodes. Lady Writers are fantastic and are some of the best writers in western cartoons right now, and I hope they are in charge of every major arc centric episode this season.

Uprooted was a simple slice of life episode that cleverly uses the students rather than the mane 6, it would be OOC if the mane 6 acted this way but the students are still open to mistakes, it also shows that the spirit of the tree lives in some ways and that will likely be explored in detail later (tree=gusty anyone?) Also was just wholesome fun

Sparkle's Seven was really fun as well, tying into the narrative and continuity quite well with the lackluster performance of the guards, here we see a really fun celebration of the main cast and FINALLY Shining Armor in a good role instead of being too far into bumbling brother territory like with some other appearances he has had. Dude's a badass and I wish the show would..show it more.

The Point of No Return was good, not great but good. I feel like people have a really high bar for every episode and complain when the episode is just middling in quality. Point did a good job by not exaggerating Twilight's worries until she thought she had gotten somepony fired. She wasn't really twilighting before then, she was just nervous is all. It made of a funny episode that helps teach her not to shoot for perfection all the time, some would say this is retconning Fame and Misfortune where Twilights whole point was that they weren't perfect. Not the case as accepting you aren't perfect doesn't stop you from shooting for perfection anyway.

Common Ground seems like it will be...okay, a heartwarming episode but not memorable or great
I am fully expecting to not care for She's all Yak, seems kinda...awful
Frenemies and everything after I am 100% looking forward to.

The show is ending, just enjoy the last ride ffs.

Edited by RyanMahaffe
  • Brohoof 3

On 4/28/2019 at 11:00 PM, ShootingStar159 said:

I think it’s going really well. I’m not a big fan of all the attention the students are getting, but that doesn’t really detract from the seasons quality, so... yeah, it’s good so far.

In the first 10 episodes of the season...2 of them are exclusively student-centric

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Molinimous is Molinimous. Is Lily Orchard the next credible source on the checklist? :maud:

Lily Orchard credible? Must be a joke. They're as biased as they come. I trust them as much as I trust MrEnter and that should say something. :mellow:

I've only gotten through 3 episodes and I have to say I'm not sure. It had a fantastic premiere but Uprooted was pretty mediocre, literally only saved by the song being good.

Overall, I am aware this is the last season, so that sadness is colouring my opinions somewhat.

First episode(s) - not sure about dragging out an old pre-gen bad guy as the final season "threat from the past" and/or resurrecting (literally, in one case) the threats from previous seasons, but hey, its their show - a "supervillain dream team" is cliché, but they could get it to work. Keeping an open mind, and the hope that something more lasting will be done to Chrysalis (although given the return of sombra, apparently nothing is too perminent in ponyland)

Cliche is such a bad critque, it has no substance behind it it's just a buzzword. Everything these days is cliche, it has all been done before, most of what we see has been done many times.

(edited)

Compared to other seasons first 6 episodes its average. The premier was my favorite 2 parter and one of the best episodes overall, episode 200 was great, CG was really good and the point of no return was good too. Only uprooted wasn't good(mediocre if I'm honest), so far its the only episode that brings this season down a bit. season 2 had the best first 6 episodes in my opinion(on average I mean), season 3 up until episode 8 was great(I loved all of the first 7 episodes, the second half was significantly worse), seasons 5 and 7 had good starts too with the worst episodes still decent while having great ones as well. all these seasons had great starts, so season 9 does not really stand out however it had a much better start then seasons 1 and 8 which started slow(although both seasons starts were still alright). Over all, the first 6 episodes were kind of average compared to the first 6 of all seasons. So, so far other than the premier its average, which is good(the show has very high standards, a good episode ends up as the average).

Edited by Rushing cash