Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Like Episode 100 or Episode 200 More?

EpicEnergy

I like episode 200 more than episode 100; however, I also think both episodes are still very amazing, episode 100 is actually one of my favorites in season 5.

So which episode do you like better?

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 1

Episode 100 was "thank you" to the fans while episode 200 is "thank you" to the voice actresses so they were handled very differently and therefore are not really comparable. Episode 100 meant to be chaotic with as much references and fan service as possible, episode 200 is more grounded with a better plot, a combination of the VAs ideas for the characters. 

However,if I have to choose, I enjoyed episode 100 slightly more because it was nice to finaly learn more about the background ponies and everything in that episode just blew my mind.

200 because it actually felt like a celebration of the show and its characters. I never cared for BG ponies, fanon or fan memes, so episode 100 not only felt obnoxious, but I also felt left out because these weren’t why I liked the show 

• Brohoof 10

200 was better imo, because it focused on the core characters rather than background ponies I really did not care about. Even if I think episode 200 wasn't quite as good as it could have been.

• Brohoof 3

The 200th was better because it had a far better story and focused on characters we are wayyy more attached too. As I've said, the 100th episode is a slog if you have no investment in the background ponies, imagine being a child watching that episode and being unaware of all the fan references because that's effectively all the episode was. Remember that random changeling at the wedding? Good luck making sense of that one by yourself.

• Brohoof 6

I liked both about the same. 

I've always said that 'Slice of Life' works just fine as pure absurdity, and most of its ideas are pretty funny in their own right even without the context. I can't say for sure, but I suspect it actually doesn't work nearly as well if you know all the references, because then you don't get the full WTF factor. This would be the one I would pick if I had to choose, because it's just so crazy. 

I don't really think 'Sparkle's Seven' feels any less like glorified fan fiction, but it does have a more straightforward plot; its ordinariness isn't better or worse than the earlier episode, it's just different. It's a little more satisfying on the emotional front, because I care about Spike more than I care about the background ponies, but I don't think one is funnier than the other. 

• Brohoof 3

I always thought 100 was a bit odd. (The Lyra and bon bon scene was wonderful though.) I enjoyed every minute of 200. Zepher breeze, apple core comeback/fairwell concert, LUNA!!!! This was the best Luna action since the tantelous. 

• 4 weeks later...

200 was a messy hodge-podge of clashing ideas and executions - things happened because the plot said so, not naturally like in 100

It's a milestone episode, but beyond that, there's not much to it.

Episode 100 was a "here are your references, now shut up" to the fans while episode 200 felt like it celebrated the actual characters. The fact that the voice actresses each had a hand in making the episode that they've been wanting to do, makes it that much more special. Plus, we got to see baby spike which was adorable. It was a simple story that gave Spike some character development and allowed him to shine.

• Brohoof 5

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I thought episode 200 was *a lot* better than episode 100 because I felt like more care was put into the story of "Sparkle's Seven". 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Sparkle's Seven is beginning to become my favourite episode in the series to be honest :please: Very funny humour and faces, cute callbacks, a well-paced story, and amazing characterization from everyone, no matter how big or small their role was. It celebrates everyone I love about MLP, and more.

• Brohoof 1

While I personally liked 100 more, I don't think them to be all that directly comparable. Since 100 is more a love letter to the fans of the show, and 200 is more a love letter to the voice actors of the main cast.

So in what each wanted to do, I think they did it wonderfully.:squee:

• Brohoof 1

I prefer Slice of Life because it's more successful in doing what it wants to do. The entire episode is over the top fun and that helps it to stand out. There's always a new joke or crazy idea being thrown at you and it makes for a very memorable and entertaining episode.

Meanwhile Sparkle's Seven goes for a more grounded story. It's still fun enough, but not necessarily memorable or really good. The jokes take a back seat to the story and the story itself isn't anything special. The stuff with Spike is underdeveloped and the heist story is pretty basic. I guess this episode could've been better if it either went all out on the jokes and crazy concepts or if it had one of the best stories of the show. Instead, this episode kinda blends in with a lot of the other "good but not that good" episodes.

(edited)

As an episode, 200 was far better. The overall story was more concrete and it's also a great celebration of the VAs. Episode 100 was enjoyable in its own way, but I wasn't really knowledgeable on fan memes and stuff, so for the entirety of my first viewing, I was basically wondering what the fuck was going on.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 1

200 - cause it feels more connected to the show and we gotta see the characters in a way the VAs always wanted to do! That's just beautiful! Episode 100 was just a buncha fanpandering - fanpandering that I don't really agree with. 200 felt more fanpandering towards me and some others!

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna have to go with Slice of Life. Sparkle's Seven isn't bad per se, but Shining Armor was WAY out of character until the end. He's a loving affectionate big brother, not a jerk that rubs his victories in Twilight's face.

Episode 200. Some of the jokes from SoL won’t land quite as welll without knowledge of the fandom. In Sparkle’s Seven, every joke works.

However, that takes nothing away from Episode 100. Slice of Life is one of the best episodes of the whole series. Sparkle’s Seven being great doesn’t make this merely good or less.

• Brohoof 1

Episode 100 hasn't aged well at all, not that it was good to begin with. It was honestly the MLP equivalent of some 80s film with dated pop culture references, watching it back when it was new was annoying because the substance is overshadowed by the constant fan pandering but watching it now is honestly kind of painful. Haven't seen 200 yet.

(edited)

I think episode 100 was more driven and fueled with inspirations. It feels like they had to cut it down just to match the 20 minute running time. They clearly seem to having fun, and they nailed the one thing they were aiming for, to celebrate the whole franchise and the fandom. The conclusion matches the theme perfectly.

200th episode feels more like a continuous story structure wise, but it is nowhere near impactful as the 100th episode, and it feels less driven. The conclusion feels less emotional, relatively speaking. Ironically, the 100th episode feels more like about the Mane Six, when it's about mostly anything but them.

Canterlot isn't even comparable to Ponyville as a background.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

I would have to go with episode 200.  Mainly that it has better emotional pay off due to focusing on characters the audience actually gives a crap about, instead of background characters and memes that if you are not part of the fandom, you wouldn't understand.

• Brohoof 1