Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Electricity? Candles? Science?

Caramel Shower

I was wondering why do the equestrians use candles? Do they have electricity? What about that dam in "The mysterious mare do well" was it hydroelectric?

This is all way over analyzing the show I know. But still I cant help thinking about it.

They have minor electricity as seen in Feeling Pinkie keen. The dam didn't look hydroelectric to me. They may or may not have lights, I don't remember if they did in the fashion show or not, but maybe lights aren't invented or are very rare/unneeded/expensive. And unicorns wouldn't need it. Now that I think about it, Photo Finishs camera had a flash bulb.

Edited by THEj

The way I see it is that ponies have electricity. Its hydroelectric, so it's clean. However, electricity is expensive, and mainly used only for special events, or the wealthy. And since unicorns and use magic to light places up, and candles are still in, electricity isn't in high demand.

• Brohoof 2

May I point out the construction site which was also present in Mare do well? :P it would be safe to assume they use electricity for the machinery aswell. but I guess it is only used for that or special events as Tom the Rock mentioned. and seeing as they have a dam I agree it is probably where they get their electricity from, unless it all is driven my magic. if it is nonmagical electricity hydroelectricity would be the safest bet seeing as it is the leastr intrusive. some dams are even beautifull. compared to windmills or rigs which is always complained about.

WINDMILLS AREN'T PRETTY??? Classic style windmills are the stuff of paintings!

Classic windmills I will agree on but they arent exactly the most effective when it comes to electricity :P

The way I see it is that ponies have electricity. Its hydroelectric, so it's clean. However, electricity is expensive, and mainly used only for special events, or the wealthy. And since unicorns and use magic to light places up, and candles are still in, electricity isn't in high demand.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I was wondering why do the equestrians use candles? Do they have electricity? What about that dam in "The mysterious mare do well" was it hydroelectric?

This is all way over analyzing the show I know. But still I cant help thinking about it.

I would think it is a mixture off all if the above.

They use candles, but also have some things that run on electricity.

They have... computers!? Wait what?

In which episode do they use a computer???

Well I was referring to whatever machine Twilight had during Feeling Pinkie Keen.

Looks like some sort of computer...even gives data.

Well I was referring to whatever machine Twilight had during Feeling Pinkie Keen.

Looks like some sort of computer...even gives data.

Yeah, but it looked like a computer from the 50s. It sure was big enough! Pony tech probably isn't as advanced as we think it is.

Edited by Tom the Rock

Very true. I forgot about the computer thing in "Feeling peachy keen" But I haven't seen any metal Like the crane in "the mysterious mare do well" Is made out of wood. so no copper, no wires.

As far as the windmill in ponyville could be converted to an electric generator. But I think its just a flour mill.

I dont think you should completely toss away the probability that Twilights computer is ran by magic. Afterall, it is Twilights machine. and when it comes to the cranes again in Mare do well. if they are driven by normal electricity the wires might be magically put inside the wood for estetics or something.

or maybe we are all wrong and they are the most advanced society the world has ever seen and have cordless electricity. and the candles are really driven by electricity but made to look like candles :ph34r:

Hmm... I've been meaning to bring this up FOORREVERR ago, but never had the time! :)

Hydroelectric power seems very probable as well as windmills. Though I do like the idea of magic being an energy source in itself that could be harnessed!

They probably don't have many uses for human technology since they're always busy!

Think about it when a pony get's their Cutie Mark that's their talent and job for life! And the whole world quite literally depends on them doing their job since weather and animals seem to be completely controlled by Ponies. (Example: If the ponies in charge of the rain don't do their job they will have a drought!) Since the world is more dependent on their jobs they simply don't have time to sit around and watch tv or get on the internet therefore they have no reason to invent it! Plus with everypony so busy there really aren't any ponies to sit around and invent things (well unless their Cutie Mark was some sort of atomic symbol then I'd assume their talent is Nuclear Physics/Chemistry and therefor must invent it if the Ponies need it, not sure why though)

Plus they (Unicorns specifically) use magic. If humans had magic they'd probably ignore science and engineering.

Ponies don't need vehicles since they're horses, Unicorns can learn to teleport, Pegsuses fly.

They don't need to invent weapons since they are a peaceful race!

So in technological advancement Ponies would be EXTREMELY slow. If it took humans all the way to the early 1970s to invent the internet, Ponies would probably invent it in the 4000s or 5000s if really at all since humans had much more need for such advanced technology and therefore would develop it faster!

So there you have it! They are much too busy, eco-friendly, magical, mobile, and too peaceful to develop a need for technology!

Some other bits of technology are Sewing Machines, Lights on the CMC talent show and an electric fan.

Though one technological marvel that disturbed me at first was in Sisterhooves Social Sweetie Bell uses glue... wait a minute GLUE! Now I know that "Send er' off to the Glue Factory" is a negative stereotype about how glue comes from horses since glue can also come from other animals such as rabbits and fish, but still that first thought scared me! Also since Ponies are so eco-friendly where did they get glue from? They don't kill animals, they have absolutely no need too since they're herbivores... Wait Fluttershy... where are you taking that bunny? :(

Then again I'm over analyzing things again?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Now that I think about magic as an option I'm fairly sure it can't be magic because how would the non-unicorns use the things such a fans, lights and sewing machines. Unless of course they have some kind of magical power plant filled with unicorns.

It also seems that even the simplest magic is very hard for them. since Twilight is skilled in magic it's self, and still has truble doing most things.

But another thing I just thought about is that maybe there machines are all clockwork and run off springs, gears and pony power like the snow plows in "Winter wrap up"

Edited by Caramel Shower

Yeah, but it looked like a computer from the 50s. It sure was big enough! Pony tech probably isn't as advanced as we think it is.

Well it's definitely advanced, it may not be pocket size but if it can read what's going on in a pony's brain then it's pretty advanced.