Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E06 - Common Ground

FlareGun45
Message added by Jeric

Be forewarned there will be spoilers ahead

Common Ground  

93 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I feel like Wind Sprint like how she felt about Quibble (Bleh)
    • It tried too hard (Bad)
    • I miss angry Quibble (Meh)
    • May the buckball be with you (Good)
    • D'awwww happy family! (Great)

Title: Common Ground

Airdate: May 4, 2019 CE

Written by: Josh Haber

Synopsis: Rainbow Dash's old pal Quibble Pants needs help with bonding with the daughter of his special sompony, because like her, she's a sports pony!

1344577099_RD2C_Fluttershy2C_Pinkie2C_and_Quibble_on_the_buckball_field_S9E6.png.1eeca60f47aa59ad3f54f66aa57397f6.png

Watch Live and chat with us on EquestriaTV in the CMC Clubhouse 

Bingo Thread: 

This episode features the return of Patton Oswalt as Quibble Pants again, making this episode one of the rare times a special guest star returns to the show! The special somepony and daughter are voiced by Patton's 2nd wife, and Patton's biological daughter! So somehow, this story does Patton's family life in reverse! 

THIS JUSTIN: The daughter is named Wind Sprint, and the special somepony is named Clear Sky!

740979788_ClearSkies.png.dfc22c0a1510f2664a39222a12653dd1.png

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 6

• This topic was featured and pinned

I’m really looking forward to seeing this one. There is some background in Patton Oswalt’s life that makes this all the more poignant. Several years ago his first wife died suddenly and unexpectedly. Patton posted perhaps the the most accurate depiction of what that sort of grief is here. He has since taken down that Facebook post. Since 2016 he has taken life one step at a time, finding strength in his daughter to continue on. Eventually he fell in love again. Here they are, on this show again, his daughter and him showing that life continues. 

Oswalts discussions on grief have been plentiful over the last few years. They helped me in unmeasurable ways. I’ll be looking forward to watching him and his family. 

• Brohoof 10

6 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I’m really looking forward to seeing this one. There is some background in Patton Oswalt’s life that makes this all the more poignant. Several years ago his first wife died suddenly and unexpectedly. Patton posted perhaps the the most accurate depiction of what that sort of grief is here. He has since taken down that Facebook post. Since 2016 he has taken life one step at a time, finding strength in his daughter to continue on. Eventually he fell in love again. Here they are, on this show again, his daughter and him showing that life continues. 

Oswalts discussions on grief have been plentiful over the last few years. They helped me in unmeasurable ways. I’ll be looking forward to watching him and his family. 

Makes ya wonder what happened to the special somepony's first husband - this could be a touching subject this episode might give!

• Brohoof 2

Looking forward to this, it is not the first time the show has taken on a mature subject so I am sure they know how to handle it. I didn't think they will bring oswalt back, but its a pleasant surprise and I can't wait to see how he and his family play it out especially because the story in the episode is reverse to what happened to him in life, so I am sure he took it as seriously as possible and they all gave their best.

One of the episodes I've been interested, simply based on everything Patton Oswalt's said about it, but Jim Miller has also said that it's a great one

• Brohoof 2

When Patton Oswalt announced he, his wife, and daughter recorded an episode last year and why, I became interested. Given his painful history of losing his first wife unexpectedly, voicing an episode about family strikes a personal chord to many. Also, check FIM’s celebrity-episode history; traditionally, they’re one of the best of the season, if not the best.

Can’t wait! :yay:

• Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, Jeric said:

I’m really looking forward to seeing this one. There is some background in Patton Oswalt’s life that makes this all the more poignant. 

Not trying to offend, but even with all of that sentimentality it does not mean the episode will be of good quality. More emotion doesn't equate to better execution.

I'm skeptical about this one. There's precious little time left for the series and there's plenty of unanswered questions and unresolved issues still to be addressed. This is a waste, regardless of how poignant it may be for the actors involved. Plus I wasn't very impressed with Quibble Pants' debut. The subject matter would probably be more appealing to me if it were centred around a character I had invested more time in.

But it could be really good. Season 9 hasn't had any really disappointing showings yet so maybe the streak will continue. We shall see.

• Brohoof 3

I am really happy that a little girl gets to voice her own OC in the show, (How many of us can say the same?) and her mother's character is an OC too, but that's beyond the point.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Roughshod said:

Not trying to offend, but even with all of that sentimentality it does not mean the episode will be of good quality. More emotion doesn't equate to better execution.

It didn’t offend at all. It does give me a reason to go into what I enjoy from the show. I rarely go into technical elements when it comes to this show since it isn’t why I watch it. I actually watch it for the cute and the smarmy, so I framed it that way. On other internet haunts where I discuss lit and film I tend to apply a different filter related to application of the inciting incident, the subtle nature a film’s theme and transitions, etc. I watch most non-genre films with a different eye than I watch pony. 

I think that there is this strange element to the internet where people sharing their feelings on anticipation of some property tends to be shared conversationally, while some readers consume the content and process it through their own filter. I don’t want to break down my anticipation or enjoyment into an algorithm. That said, knowing the respondent quandary we face, I try to choose my words carefully by implying when something entices me due to a personal connection rather than the functional elements of the story, acting, writing, and directing.

The reason for saying, “I enjoyed that episode quite a lot” is ultimately different than, “I feel that episode was quite good.”

”I’m really looking forward to something”, is remarkably vague but I tend to use it to discuss ephemeral reasons over the technique and elements of style. Otherwise I would say, “I’m expecting a solid performance and story.”

If was able to analyze this show the same way I do Breaking Bad or GoT, my comments would require a jar of mayonnaise to read — they would be that dry. 

• Brohoof 1

Guess the episode should be interesting. I'm not going to look too much into it so I don't spoil myself entirely.

I also want to say that sometimes the people behind a thing fascinates me. Knowing a little about their life experience can help crack open a door into small nuances than color their skill and performance. It’s not often that someone is so open about their emotional process and journey in real time. When it happens it can be enlightening. 

I have no idea if the episode is going to be good or not. I suspect it will be a cute little SoL romp for me rather than a comedic phenomenon. 

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

It didn’t offend at all. It does give me a reason to go into what I enjoy from the show. I rarely go into technical elements when it comes to this show since it isn’t why I watch it. I actually watch it for the cute and the smarmy, so I framed it that way. On other internet haunts where I discuss lit and film I tend to apply a different filter related to application of the inciting incident, the subtle nature a film’s theme and transitions, etc. I watch most non-genre films with a different eye than I watch pony. 

I think that there is this strange element to the internet where people sharing their feelings on anticipation of some property tends to be shared conversationally, while some readers consume the  content and process it through their own filter. I don’t want to break down my anticipation or enjoyment into an algorithm. That said, knowing the respondent quandary we face, I try to choose my words carefully by implying when something entices me due to a personal connection rather than the functional elements of the story, acting, writing, and directing.

The reason for saying, “I enjoyed that episode quite a lot” is ultimately different than, “I feel that episode was quite good.”

Fair enough and well said. I believe it's important to be able to appreciate the varying aspects and layers of this show as well as other forms of media content on multiple levels. In what ever form or fashion that takes place is up to the individual of course. I may be using a different filter or the same ones but to differing degrees. I like the cute-smarm as well.

With such a strong connection that the people on these forums have with this show and the time they've invested into it(seriously, when do you sleep? lol), your position is not surprising and pretty understandable.

But the conflicts of experience I see in conversation are what makes things interesting(provided it doesn't get too out of hand).

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

”I’m really looking forward to something”, is remarkably vague but I tend to use it to discuss ephemeral reasons over the technique and elements of style. Otherwise I would say, “I’m expecting a solid performance and story.”

Fortunately for this fandom those expectations are rarely ever missed.

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

I also want to say that sometimes the people behind a thing fascinates me. Knowing a little about their life experience can help crack open a door into small nuances that color their skill and performance. It’s not often that someone is so open about their emotional process and journey in real time. When it happens it can be enlightening. 

If I knew more about Patton Oswalt and were a fan then naturally my interest would be higher regarding the background of the episode. I don't have anything against him but I'm just less compelled about the relevancy of that information I guess. But I can relate to the feeling of having a celebrity you appreciate appear on the show as I(and I think almost everyone else) was amazed at seeing Weird Al Yankovic as Cheese Sandwich.

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

I have no idea if the episode is going to be good or not. I suspect it will be a cute little SoL romp for me rather than a comedic phenomenon. 

For what it's worth I hope it is. I'm not predicting it will be completely awful and even if I did think that I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

That being said, if given the choice between this and meeting Scootaloo's family I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

Edited by Roughshod

12 hours ago, Jeric said:

There is some background in Patton Oswalt’s life that makes this all the more poignant. 

Oswalts discussions on grief have been plentiful over the last few years. They helped me in unmeasurable ways. 

The more I thought about this the more I recognized how much I can empathize with this point and in my own way with his experience you detailed. Like I said I don't really know the man very well but if his return encapsulates the kind of matter you've described I will be very interested.

Edited by Roughshod

It will be quite interesting to see how the show handles the topic of a step parent, but I also appreciate the fact that Oswalt's actual wife and daughter voice the characters. It might make it all the more emotional

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 4:45 PM, Will Guide said:

Well, I wonder how the character interactions will play out here.

I agree. The episode would not be very exciting if only Rainbow Dash interacted with Quibble's family.

Maybe we could get a Daring Do appearance.

Edited by FirePuppy

I love the fact that this is a special project of sorts behind the scenes with regards to Patton Oswalt.

• Brohoof 4

Some dude is gonna teach his future stepdaughter how to play with balls, but being a complete amateur himself, he asks his spunky mare friend to show him all the moves.

There. Now it almost sounds interesting 3Y6uKBJ.png

@FlareGun45 USA Today has a two minute sneak peak of the ep if you want to put it in the op:

Also as an add on to that sneak peak:

Spoiler

Oswalt as Quibble is in top form, and I am already loving his interaction with Rainbow Dash and Clear Sky.

However it's interesting to note that we've got some implications brewing with Clear Sky putting Quibble's actions over that of her own daughter. Hope this gets addressed as that is definitely a huge factor in the child not accepting the thought of a new parent.

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

@FlareGun45 USA Today has a two minute sneak peak of the ep if you want to put it in the op:

Hide contents

Oswalt as Quibble is in top form, and I am already loving his interaction with Rainbow Dash and Clear Sky.

However it's interesting to note that we've got some implications brewing with Clear Sky putting Quibble's actions over that of her own daughter. Hope this gets addressed as that is definitely a huge factor in the child not accepting the thought of a new parent.

Spoiler

This is already looks like an amazing episode, with a deep meaning. I'm sure the writers and oswalts family put a lot of effort into this. Can't wait to watch it tomorrow! 

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

Hide contents

I didn't think the sneak peek would matter to be posted on top cause we're gonna see the whole thing tomorrow anyway! :P