Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming City of Heroes: Resurgence

Quinch

So... a few weeks back, some news broke, to put it mildly, and it turns out that despite the assassination attempt, the rumors of the superhero MMORPG's demise have been somewhat exaggerated, although certainly not in a way most of us believed.

Needless to say, I've been frantically trying to catch up on seven years' worth of freem and curious, well, how everyone might feel about this whole development. Have you played CoH? Have you heard of it? Are you curious about it, now that it's out in the open? Would you roll your OC as a superhero, be it as an anthro pony or EqG version? How about canon characters?

Quick reminder, though - while this is a thread to discuss the game and the nature of its return, please no posting of links to the actual servers. I'm not sure how well or unwell that would jibe with the server rules, but let's not tempt fate. A quick search or question would answer any questions in that regard anyhow.

1843511158_2019-05-03(2).thumb.JPG.eaa2ac910c339e2db24ced1023028395.JPG

And yes, I had to make Principal Celestia. Not sure why, but it was something that just had to be done.

Well, you already know I had a lot vested in this. It really hit me funny to see this come out. I felt like I was in another world.

A lot has changed in my life since back then though and I doubt I'd ever have the time to be fully dedicated to an MMO again. There's just too much else going on.

If there was enough interest though I wouldn't mind taking a group of ponies into the sewers.

Wild Claw runs again!

I used to play City of Heroes constantly back in the day. I had a stable of toons on Virtue and Victory that I would rotate through, from the winged archer Burkut, through the fae shapeshifter Pwka, the goth loner Gargola, the amnesiatic salamander Tattie Bogie, the reassembled clockwork Mecha Yojimbo, and my handle's namesake: the lycanthropic anti-hero Wild Claw!

I recently logged in to the pirate servers, just to see how it goes in Paragon City in our absence. Nice to see it all falling apart just like it was, though I was sad that the various server's game data was lost, so I'd have to rebuild all those toons. Not that I blame the people supporting the servers, of course. Needs must, after all.

Unfortunately, I'm on a satellite internet connection so the ping is stupidly high and the game kept rubber-banding me. There's no chance for anyone to run cable out to where I live (it's all buried powerlines here, so they'd not only have to trench all the way from where the cable terminus is [which is two or so miles from my house], and manage to not get caught up in the existing buried lines), so I have to wait for those extra-low orbit satellites that various companies keep promising they'll get up there.

On 5/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, BornAgainBrony said:

A lot has changed in my life since back then though and I doubt I'd ever have the time to be fully dedicated to an MMO again. There's just too much else going on. 

Well, it is still super casual - a person can still hop in for a bit and play, then move on. Task forces might take a bit of a timeslot, but overall the game is as commitment-free as it ever was.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:56 PM, Fhaolan said:

Unfortunately, I'm on a satellite internet connection so the ping is stupidly high and the game kept rubber-banding me.

Aw, boo. Poor internet connections suck no matter what you want to do.

17 hours ago, Quinch said:

Well, it is still super casual - a person can still hop in for a bit and play, then move on. Task forces might take a bit of a timeslot, but overall the game is as commitment-free as it ever was.

What really kept me going was the community though and the sense of continuity. I don't know if I could get the same feeling without having the time to make it a second life the way I used to. And Ponies has more or less filled that void since then, in more ways than I could've imagined.

Btw, you seen the "Run to Break Free" E.G. short? As someone who had a character with Superspeed, slotted with jump, combined with the rainbow aura sprint power, that was pretty trippy.

Soooooo.... what archetypes would you think for the Mane cast? ;)

In my mind:

Twilight Sparkle -> Blaster

Applejack -> Tanker

Fluttershy -> Controller 

Rainbow Dash -> Scrapper 

Rarity -> Defender

Spike -> Brute (with Fiery Melee)

Pinkie Pie -> I got nothin'.

On 5/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, Fhaolan said:

Soooooo.... what archetypes would you think for the Mane cast? ;)

Hmmmm. Well, going by the I25 sets...

Twilight -> Energy/Time Manipulation blaster

Applejack -> Willpower/Super Strength Tanker

Fluttershy -> Beast/Empathy mastermind

Rainbow Dash -> Martial Arts/Super Reflexes scrapper

Rarity -> Mind/Sonic controller

Pinkie Pie -> Energy/Energy stalker {kinda stretching with the sets, but she does tend to appear out of nowhere}

Spike -> Fire/Thermal corruptor

Starlight -> Mind/Forcefield controller