Rainbow Roadtrip   

83 users have voted

1. 1. How was the special?

• I LOVED ITT!!!
    • It was pretty great!
    • It was okay
    • I didn't really like it
    • I HATED it!

My opinion, overall fine. I liked the slower pacing, a lot of the regular episodes would have benefited from the extended running time this special got.

However, I have to ask: Was the sound 'off' for anybody else? There seemed to be several points where the sound reproduction of my recording was very... poor. There were a couple of points where it sounded like some of the Mane 6 got dubbed by stand-in VA's. Especially some short bits from Pinkie. And the songs sounded like their dynamic ranges were vastly cut, with no base at all and some top missing as well. That last song really sounded weird, like it was missing a lot of layers.

• Brohoof 1

It was a very basic and straightforward story, but they got the basics right. Even it's kind of a story we have seen before, I can't hate it. The pacing was seemingly slow, but the scenery and characters got enough time to actually mean something. All characters were memorable and worked, and there wasn't any unnecessary scenes or characters in the special. This is a decent premiere that we haven't got in ages which isn't actually a premiere. If G5 goes this direction, at least I won't be disappointed.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

Yes, I'm deliberately being a grouchy buzzkill because I'm still extremely sour, bitter, and salty about the Toom Boom animation, which I feel looks nothing like our beloved ponies.  Quite frankly, I'm getting really sick of people saying how it's so much better because it looks like Disney.

My thoughts exactly, at first I read TV's looks like Disney? No wait, that's not right, the Movie art style looks like Disney? Yes that's what it means and yes I do not like this Disney style, (they even look like fillies as if from their youth) I do not like some things Disney does either, so a 1000 times the TV art style, yes our beloved art style

On 6/29/2019 at 8:06 PM, vgmaster9 said:

My god what a disappointment. This special would've been just fine as a regular episode. They should've done something way more exciting with that 60 minutes. When people said that the cancelled movie sequel was the basis for this special, they clearly lied. Hell, even the title was a lie, the "road trip" wasn't even central to the plot. No villain or real conflict or anything, so boring.

Ya, I thought it was going to be some road or boat trip ponified

On 6/29/2019 at 8:42 PM, ChB said:

"Yes, sir! ... I mean ma'am! :twismile:"

Couldn't she say Yes Mare? I think this was incorrect and a kind of flat joke. Though I myself in S1 confused if RD was he or she hah

And from the off-season movies I find the Movie best, because of the stories, villains, hyppogryphs the adventure, then BGE then this one

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 2

On 7/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, ImpctR said:

Wasn't it better to have such episode after Season 9 to have something to air afterwards?

The leaks mentioned two specials for pony. This is one of them. No official word from the other one tho. Could’ve been quietly cancelled, maybe they are saving it for 2020 to have some horse filling that year before G5 comes in 2021 :huh:

• Brohoof 2

This special’s plot is decent but it should be shorter and more condensed. If the plot is too thin and too predictable, shortening the length time is a good thing, not dragging out. I feel like they try to appeal to the younger audience, so it explained everything. I have seen more complex mlp episodes in 22 minutes. 

At least this is another decent piece of works from the writer who wrote the worst ep so she redeemed herself. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

At least this is another decent piece of works from the writer who wrote the worst ep so she redeemed herself. 

When you said that, I have to look if we share the same worst episode experience... *looks at who wrote "Non-Compete Clause"* oh dear god!

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Splashee said:

When you said that, I have to look if we share the same worst episode experience... *looks at who wrote "Non-Compete Clause"* oh dear god!

Kim Beyer-Johnson also wrote "Sweet & Smokey", which is my favorite episode of season 9. I guess anyone can be redeemed.:huh: Look at RD and AJ in the special, compare them to "Non-Compete Clause", it looks like they are written by different persons.:sealed: What happen?

• Brohoof 1

Just saw this. I didn't hate it. It was alright.

Why did Rainbow race with Pinkie and not AJ? These two aren't even rivals

My biggest huh head scratch was wondering if this would happen anywhere at any time or just in this area due to the name?

Like whenever ponies lose hope do they just lose all color, or is it because of how this town looks and operates that this happened? This will likely never be explained

I got annoyed a bit by the welder pony being the 'only one who could do this' or something like that, but then I liked her eventually. 

I don't hate the animation style, but it was a bit off putting since I hadn't seen the movie style in a while

Voices were alright, songs were great

When I think about it, "hopeless magic" appeared before but it was never named until now, like in "party for one" when pinkies mane flattened she also became grayer, and twilight in "the return of harmony" when she lost hope and the colors drained from her and its only from the top of my head. 

• Brohoof 2

...I still need to get around to watching this. First, I'll need to catch up with the some of the Equestria Girls specials before diving into this one at full force. Hopefully I'll be able to get the chance to watch this by next week at the very least.

I liked it. What a cute episode.

Visuals: The new movie style looks fantastic! It brings a more modern look to the episode and shows that the showmakers can pull this new style off even without a huge budget. I know that the animators who make the usual episodes weren't the ones responsible for this new episode, but still.

Music: The music was okay. It wasn't as memorable as the ones in the movie, but that'd be expecting too much for a ordinary special.

Story: It was okay, but a bit simple. I'd say the story is the only part I wish was better. The mane 6 basically faced no adversities in the process of bringing color to the town, and there was no element of surprise whatsoever. It's a cute, wholesome story, but not an interesting one. 'Best Gift Ever' will still be the best special episode for me. That episode was perfect... :(

Like with all other shorts and releases (including Equestria Girls), they need to make this available on Netflix or iTunes or something. Does anyone know if this is going to be possible with this special? As I really do not like to watch stuffs on YouTube nor a file sharing site (eg: Mega) when it doesn't support the creators of the content.

If anyone could let me know whether or not Hasbro has plans to have this special put on iTunes or Netflix or something that would be great. Many thanks!

On 7/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, Steve Piranha said:

The leaks mentioned two specials for pony. This is one of them. No official word from the other one tho. Could’ve been quietly cancelled, maybe they are saving it for 2020 to have some horse filling that year before G5 comes in 2021 :huh:

Someone should ask the creators about the second special.

1 hour ago, heavens-champion said:

Someone should ask the creators about the second special.

They should, but it’s likely they aren’t likely to confirm it’s existence, plus, DHX is not involved

(edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, Steve Piranha said:

They should, but it’s likely they aren’t likely to confirm it’s existence, plus, DHX is not involved

Should I have said they should have asked boulder media, then?

Edited by heavens-champion

3 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Should I have said they should have asked boulder media, then?

Boulder Media is the best bet. However, due to lack of official information, don’t expect answers

• This topic was unfeatured and unpinned
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow...

I didn't expect anything with this special, but this was a very good surprise. I love the movie animation style; for me it feels much more detailled than Flash animation, and I hope G5 will use this animation style.

About the special itself, well, it was very entertaining. Maybe a little bit too long, but I didn't feel it was way too long. I liked the characters as well. Petunia Petals is just simply CUTE :wub:

Overall, I think this was a good special, and I hope this was a test for G5 <3 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, jorge123esp said:

Wow...

I didn't expect anything with this special, but this was a very good surprise. I love the movie animation style; for me it feels much more detailled than Flash animation, and I hope G5 will use this animation style.

About the special itself, well, it was very entertaining. Maybe a little bit too long, but I didn't feel it was way too long. I liked the characters as well. Petunia Petals is just simply CUTE :wub:

Overall, I think this was a good special, and I hope this was a test for G5 <3 

I was more in love with “Keefoofoo” :wub:. I knew that cracking voice belonged to Claudia from Dragon Prince :mlp_icwudt:

latest?cb=20180916011715

• Brohoof 1

EDIT

Watching it now and I can't stop staring at their ears ye gods this animation style just does horrible things to their ears. I love the expresiveness but I kept expecting them to fall off.

It also feels like its aimed at younger audiences not just with the animation but the whole vibe.

Also I can't resist "Big Mac you're looking rather blue."

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

20% COOLER Rainbowdash finally get her own movie for a change Rainbow Roadtrip  I thought it was fantastic just what a wonderbolts Pegasus like me needs and Hope Hollows sounds like some town run by  a old B- flick movie NIGHT OF THE LIVING PONY ohhhhh there coming to get you Twilight !!!