Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will MLP go the way of Power Rangers after G4, as far as the fandom is concerned?

Plonkett

Back when Mighty Morphin Power Rangers came out back in the 90s, everyone went nuts over it. But after later Power Rangers shows came out, it became less and less popular by every passing year. Point is, it feels like that future MLP generations will have less fans than the last. Even though they'd have a dedicated (but niche) fandom, all the big creators in this fandom we know and love would more than likely have moved on to other fandoms and future fandoms won't have anywhere near as much creators. The thought of such a thing depresses me, but seems very likely, at least to me. What about you?

It’ll be more like Transformers 

aka Gen 1 4 is the best, everything else is shit automatically 

• Brohoof 2

It's like comparing apples and oranges (Sorry Applejack). Everyone is so quick to assume G5 will be terrible. I'm at least prepared to wait and see. It might be even better than G4. Time will tell.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I feel like Power Rangers were lesser known due to the fact that is too nerdy and an "anime" (well okay it's an Americanized knock off of some show from Japan.)

But the latest adaptation did failed because I am pretty sure that  not everyone actually cared about it.

MLP is well MLP an underdog of a children's cartoons even though it's a children's cartoon that designed for everyone. The only problem with it that G4 is way to safe

Edited by R.D.Dash

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, This Whomps said:

It’ll be more like Transformers 

aka Gen 1 4 is the best, everything else is shit automatically 

Hmm, sounds like a more accurate comparison. Same goes for GI Joe: A Real American Hero.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind future generations that borrow from the past but also have their own distinct "flavor." In some ways MLP has done this, but the cartoons have been very different from one another, whereas Power Rangers/Super Sentai have always changed things here and there but they still have the same basic premise with every new iteration. It's like a reboot every season.

Maybe the next generation of MLP should be a reboot with mostly the same main characters, but a blank slate in terms of continuity and an updated setting.

• Brohoof 1

Of course there will be less fans in G5 then in G4. Most of the fans of G5 will come from G4 naturally.

(edited)

Well everyone assumes 5 will be terrible. Let's not

The real problem is we were with the Fandom for 9 seasons and it will be hard to adjust, some people will quit the Fandom. It's bound to happen. For everyone else, there's fan content in general, RP, videos, and fan fiction. There will also be some younger or less informed people discovering the series for the very first one and coming on here like 🤯

Anyway my take is that this has been happening for a while, and pony has been reinvented multiple times already. This is just par for the course. 

It's not that it will be more like Rangers, but it will be probably more like Transformers. It gets reinvented every once in a while too, and there are multiple generations of that too. Both owned by the same company, so don't be so surprised

I doubt there will be a new pony generation every year like Rangers though

Edited by Lektra Bolt

• 1 year later...