Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been obsessed with a specific music sub-genre?

Sepul-Coloratura

On 5/11/2019 at 8:27 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Any suggestions for a newcomer?

You've already mentioned Perturbator and Dance with the Dead, so here's some other artists, I'll bold the more popular/well-known ones:

• Battlejuice, Carpenter Brut, Danger, Daniel Deluxe, Deadlife, DreamReaper, Favorit89, Fixions, Glitch Black, Gregorio Franco, Hyboria, Lazerpunk, Lukhash, Masked, Master Boot Record, Mega Drive, Midnight Danger, Murkula, Neoslave, Occams Laser, Power Glove, Rale Daver, Roborg, Scandroid, Shredder 1984, Turboslash, Victor Love, Volkor X, Waveshaper, We Are Magonia
  • Brohoof 1

I always remind faithful of these two main genres; Rock and Jazz. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 5/12/2019 at 10:11 AM, Envy said:

I've had lots of obsessions over the years, actually.

In the mid 00s I was really into 70s Soft Rock (I hate to admit, I would have been one of those YouTube commenters who comments on a classic song and says "It's 2006, I'm a teenager, and I listen to this", I totally had that attitude. Nevertheless, I still adore Soft Rock even to this day). In the very late 00s and on it was Brass Rock (like early Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, etc.), and then from fall 2013 on, I have been really obsessed with British Folk/Rock.

Mentioning classical music is also relevant, too, but I separate it. I first became obsessed with classical music in the mid 00s. My early interests were primarily Baroque and Classic (Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn). In the late 00s I learned of French Impressionism and fell in love with it. In the early 10s I learned of choral Renaissance music and also became very obsessed with it. In 2013, nearly in conjunction with my interest in British Folk, I delved more into Early Music outside of just the choral Renaissance music. I'm still pretty much obsessed with all of these Classical genres, with Baroque and Early Music tending to be my largest obsessions overall.

This all still oversimplifies things, as I also have had/still have obsessions with 60s/70s Soul/R&B and Progressive/Psychedelic Rock, but I feel like it's harder to pinpoint a particular time of my life that those were most prominent.

Because I like to go all out for this kind of stuff (perhaps more for myself than anyone else, because I don't expect anyone else to actually care) I'll give some examples (although it is still very brief):

The 70s rock sound is what I'm most familiar with. I think 24 or 6 to 4 by Chicago has one of the greatest guitar solo ever recorded in human history. If you don't mind, I would recommend you Scott Walker, Comus (very eerie and even horror vibe, but still if you're not afraid to try new things), Spirogyra, Ford Theatre.

I know and always knew that classical music is the genre where I can find the best music kind of music. But it's so overwhelming that there are so much great stuff, and most pieces are numbered. It is also hard to get recommendations because simply 'classical music' is too broad. And there are different orchestras (I like Postmouth Sinfonia for unironical reasons btw) and different conductors that interpret the original music differently. There are mostly compilation albums that I can easily get access to, but I don't like the concept of compilation albums. And there are many classical music that I don't find that interesting, but to even explain that, I have to study classical music. And to study classical music, I have to like it much more which I have to listen to good stuff to begin with. It's similar to I can't get into western superhero comic books. There are too many options, too many issues, too much legacy. There might be 1000 versions of the same piece. But I like classical music with clear motifs, distinguishable and specific melodies, and with a solid structure without any filler parts. I listen to 'Oystrakh plays Paganini' album sometimes.

On 5/12/2019 at 10:19 AM, Dusklicious said:

Well, I used to be very much into post rock at one time, and I still find it to be one of the best sub-genres of music. I really was into God Is An Astronaut, an Irish group that's made quality music for almost 20 years now. In that time, they've only released 6 or 7 albums which should attest to the attention they give to the quality of their music.

I also have begun to like Electronic Dance music,  thanks to my boyfriend :wub: He makes his own tracks and they sound so good! I also have begun to like DeadMau5 on that note. :)

I once was at a Mogwai concert to expose myself to new genres, but sadly, it wasn't what I was looking for. I listen to Jambinai though, check them out if you're interested.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:52 AM, Messy Mane said:

Oh definitely.Been obsessed with 70s Hard Rock and Thrash Metal for quite some time now.

What are your favorite bands?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

(edited)
6 hours ago, Zero said:

You've already mentioned Perturbator and Dance with the Dead, so here's some other artists, I'll bold the more popular/well-known ones:

• Battlejuice, Carpenter Brut, Danger, Daniel Deluxe, Deadlife, DreamReaper, Favorit89, Fixions, Glitch Black, Gregorio Franco, Hyboria, Lazerpunk, Lukhash, Masked, Master Boot Record, Mega Drive, Midnight Danger, Murkula, Neoslave, Occams Laser, Power Glove, Rale Daver, Roborg, Scandroid, Shredder 1984, Turboslash, Victor Love, Volkor X, Waveshaper, We Are Magonia

Thanks. That's a lot of artists. I recently listened to Master Boot Record and they seem to use the heavy metal language to their songwriting, so it was very familiar and easy to access for me.

6 hours ago, Nature Tune said:

I’m a victim of kpop :wacko: I got into kpop around 6 months ago. I never really used to have a preference towards a specific music genre until I found kpop!

Welp, I've been growing up exposed to k-pop very much, but it didn't seem to stick with me after all. What groups are you in?

1 hour ago, TBD said:

I always remind faithful of these two main genres; Rock and Jazz. 

What musicians do you like? I'm not much of a jazz guy, but I really like Bitches Brew.

1 hour ago, The Historian said:

Pretty much a metalhead through and through.

What bands do you like?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

What musicians do you like? I'm not much of a jazz guy, but I really like Bitches Brew.

1 hour ago, The Historian said:

I like Mile davis's music as well and I have tons

• Bing Cosby 
  • Louis Armstrong 
  • Dean Martin 
  • Frank Sinatra 
  • Nat king cole
  • Jimmy Durante 
  • Tony Bennett 
  • Lisa Ono 
  • Big bad voodoo daddy ( on the swing(er) side)
  • Etc etcs 
  • Brohoof 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:14 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Who's your favorite dubstep / rock musicians?

Green Day, Linkin Park, Gorillaz, Nickelback, My Chemical Romance. 

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, TBD said:

I like Mile davis's music as well and I have tons

• Bing Cosby 
  • Louis Armstrong 
  • Dean Martin 
  • Frank Sinatra 
  • Nat king cole
  • Jimmy Durante 
  • Tony Bennett 
  • Lisa Ono 
  • Big bad voodoo daddy ( on the swing(er) side)
  • Etc etcs 

Thanks for the recommendation. Just to add a thing, strangely enough, I'm not a big fan of Kind of Blue. It might sound sacrilegious to jazz listeners, but I'm being honest. I know it's a legendary album that changed the whole landscape and became a cornerstone of a new genre, but for that reason, a guy who listened to it for the first time at the 21st century, it seemed less innovative than most people give credit for. (and I don't know that much more about jazz than nothing.) That's maybe why I liked Bitches Brew. Many old jazz fans hated it when it came out at 1970. But it doesn't sound like anything else, still to this day.

10 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Thanks. That's a lot of artists. I recently listened to Master Boot Record and they seem to use the heavy metal language to their songwriting, so it was very familiar and easy to access for me.

Welp, I've been growing up exposed to k-pop very much, but it didn't seem to stick with me after all. What groups are you in?

What bands do you like?

Oh really? I actually had no idea there was such thing as kpop until last September.

well currently my favorites are BTS, NCT, ATEEZ, EXO, and stray kids^_^

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

What bands do you like?

A great deal, really. But my most prominent bands would be Dream Theater, Sabaton, Powerwolf, Ayreon, Avantasia, Iron Maiden... among so many others. I have a big pile of music on my PC at home. XD

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Just to add a thing, strangely enough, I'm not a big fan of Kind of Blue. It might sound sacrilegious to jazz listeners, but I'm being honest. I know it's a legendary album that changed the whole landscape and became a cornerstone of a new genre, but for that reason, a guy who listened to it for the first time at the 21st century, it seemed less innovative than most people give credit for. (and I don't know that much more about jazz than nothing.) That's maybe why I liked Bitches Brew. Many old jazz fans hated it when it came out at 1970. But it doesn't sound like anything else, still to this day.

No problem! and not all Jazz aren't technically "blue" hence to be stereotypical. It's like soul music but with a little more pizzazz. As for the old jazz fan, who doesn't like music after 1970, I don't know what they're taking about. Jazz is Jazz. Just more or different instruments are being used.  I mean if you think back in 1920 (the start of jazz era) jazz in 20's sounds a lot different compared the 50's,60's,70's etcs. 20-30's got that swing, while the rest of the years after that it's more subtle 

If you're interested in the 20's jazz pop and what they sound like, I would recommend these artists Henry Hall, Flanagan and Allen for starter. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes I have Genres I favor 

the closest I have had an obsession with may be Vaportrap/ Future Funk or Dofflin/ Kawaii Bass

I think both of these genres are quite niche and I'm not sure if anyone will be familiar with my favorite acts from these genres.

For Vaportrap and Future Funk my favorite artists are 
Blank Banshee, Macross 82-99, Saint Pepsi, Yung Bae,
Vaperror deserves mention for his Mana Pool album which I see as a Vaportrap classic 

Vaporwave/Vaportrap/Future Funk may be seen as a meme genre but if you actually dive into this hazy sounding music you will find way more than just slowed down songs from the 80's and Macintosh 420 I assure you.

Example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSJAAo1uNY

I definitely love Dofflin/ Kawaii Bass as well My favorite artists here are 
Snail's House and Wave Racer 

I haven't gone as far into this genre cause it's hard to find a foothold. While I love this music my experience with it in terms of consistent output from one single artist has been fragmented as hell. Most songs I listen to that can fall into this genre are one offs from the artist in question, It seems like attractive music to make but not lucrative. Most of them are Japanese as well so that makes it harder for someone like me to find their music so there's that.

Example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4yu_oUM9TU

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

I dk if it’s a sub genre or not but I was huge into Kpop for years.

I own far too many physical albums from my collecting years ago. However most of my all time favorite groups aren’t together anymore.Wonder girls, T-ara, 2NE1, all of Snsd,Kara,4minute *sobs* I follow it still. I buy songs here and there. Things now just aren’t the same as they were back then. 

Im not obsessed with it anymore. 

I also was obsessed with Jpop but that became hard to keep up with unless I was on forums dedicated to it. Same with jrock.

• 3 years later...