Sign in to follow this  
Egg-3

I feel really guilty about ordering baby lamb

Yesterday was my birthday, so today my mom decided to bring me to my favorite Italian restaurant to celebrate. I usually order their steak, but today I decided to go with something else. It was either something with porkchops or this baby lamb dish, and since I liked lamb I got the lamb. It completely slipped my mind that it was supposed to be a baby lamb until I got the plate and saw how small the bones were. I felt instant regret but didn't want to make a deal of it infront of my mom who just brought me out to dinner. There was nothing I can really do at that point, everything was cooked and ready.

Now that I'm home I just can't shake the guilt that I was responsible for the death of a baby animal who was probably taken from its parents in just a few weeks after birth. I know lamb are treated pretty well out of all the farm animals but it was a baby, something that has full consciousness and feels emotions but had just entered the world.

I'm so sorry Fluttershy, she's never going to forgive me :( 

Well, saying you were responsible for the death of a baby lamb is a bit of a reach. There is a market for baby lamb and as such the meet was prepared long before you ever came in the restaurant. The only thing you are responsible for is the cooking of a aging piece of meat. If you had not ordered it, someone else will have at some point. If anything, you morning the death of the baby lamb means that you are honoring the animal far more than anyone else would have, making it's death not in vain. 
At the very most you temporarily supported the market for baby lamb, but you did so unknowingly. That old saying 'ignorance is no excuse for negligence' is not entirely true and does not apply well here. I would say just steer clear of it in the future if you do not agree with the practice and maybe grab a salad next time. But no, you did not kill the lamb, you merely ordered it in haste.   

• Thanks 1

The subject of this topic has little potential to spark discussion between many members and, as such, would be better suited to a status update or a blog. When creating a thread, please remember that the goal is to start a conversation with room for many people to chime in and give their own viewpoints on, and that sharing events of an anecdotal nature would be better done elsewhere.

Badges