Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E08 - Frenemies

FlareGun45
Message added by MangoFoalix

Remember, this thread is full of spoilers. If you click on this thread, you should know what you are getting yourself into.

Episode Poll  

114 users have voted

1. 1. What did you thing!

• Grogar too OP pls nerf - Hated it
    • Chrysalis changes into your waifu and drains you - Not a fan
    • Grogar reads 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' and falls asleep - It was okay
    • Tirek chills while all of you vote - Liked it
    • Cozy casts "Adorbs" -- It's super effective - LOVED IT

59 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

That awkward moment when an episode about the villains learning teamwork is better and more engaging than an episode where the heroes learn about teamwork... *Cough* Non-Compete Clause *Cough*

Even a fun episode about the mane six learning teamwork would feel kinda redundant, so it’s not too surprising.

• Brohoof 3

The villains were given way more character development than they've had in years to the point where anyone can appreciate what they've been through as well as better relate to them. I wasn't expecting this episode to turn out the way it did given the premise but I enjoyed it immensely from a few perspectives. There was plenty of generation one references through Grogar's magic bell, Gusty the Great, and how the bell holds much of his power. I also enjoyed seeing how Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow play off one another whilst maintaining their villainous credentials knowing that each of them have their own desires.

Grogar could do with some more character development and I suspect he will be getting some before the series comes to an end--all those references to his original incarnation can only go so far. Was I surprised seeing what was obviously a major backstabbing in the works? Not really as villains have never been able to work together. Their desire means they can never share power with other villains and if they seek to turn on each other, they will despite knowing that teamwork had proven more effective than individual efforts. I have a feeling Grogar knows what the others are planning and is pretending to show ignorance knowing that he is playing them for fools like how they are trying to do the same to him.

Then we have the song, a surprise that came out of nowhere. I never pictured Tirek as being quite the singer not to mention how absurd it got in places. You'd think they had been practicing that number for months instead of making it up as they went along. No doubt this song is going to be very memorable. Before I forget, it was cute how the villains realized that they were allowing the magic of friendship to make them see that working together proved effective. I know some won't appreciate this given it usually means a reformation is in order, but having them acknowledge that friendship is a great power and also knowing what it could do to them gives them a sense of awareness.

A shame that Sombra wasn't brought back to join in on the festivities as I'd like to think that he could've provided an additional perspective. Also, the villainous three brought up Discord and his actions though they failed to mention what Starlight did when she was evil as well as the Pony of Shadows. Rusty Bucket on the other hand... I feel sorry for him for having had to put up with Cozy Glow. We saw her true colours as her temper is much worse than what we originally saw back in the season eight finale. She's like a ticking time bomb that could explode at any moment. Chrysalis, if I may mention her again, showed off her transformation skills, something not used to such a great extent compared to previous appearances.

Perhaps the writers should've done this more often, episodes that focus on the villains and what they are doing on their own time. Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow, as I've mentioned, got huge amounts of character development making them more than just villains. I feel they have an emotional side to them, or rather, a complicated side that's often masked by their desires for conquest. No doubt fanfic writers are going to enjoy exploring upon this even further. I'll give this episode 97%.

• Brohoof 6

4 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Perhaps the writers should've done this more often, episodes that focus on the villains and what they are doing on their own time. Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow, as I've mentioned, got huge amounts of character development making them more than just villains. I feel they have an emotional side to them, or rather, a complicated side that's often masked by their desires for conquest.

While I would've LOVED to have seen more episodes from the perspective of the villains, I think the fact that this episode is the only one of its kind is what makes it so unique.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Amazing episode! It was cleverly written, had a good and entertaining song, had some very fun moments and some great music.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Tirek keeping his word and returning the power back to Chrysalis was the most powerful moment in recent years of MLP. (it was more powerful than Twilight or Spike getting their wings, The Tree of Harmony being destroyed, CMC's getting their cutie marks, all the ponies losing their powers, every time Equestria was threatened. I know I'm the only one who thinks like this) I was surprised not only because it was an unexpected thing for him to do, but also because it made sense. Sometimes we forget that villains are characters with common sense, conscience and emotions too. It is similar to why Wilson Fisk was such an interesting character in Marvel's Daredevil TV series. I wish they keep up with this level of writing and character development for future episodes.

But why didn't they write episodes like this for other characters?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 4

When this season is done I might have to go back and catalogue the best Twilight Sparkle disses in the whole show. There have been some good ones in this season alone.

• Brohoof 3

I was getting worried about our villain team when it was over halfway through and they still hated each other's guts, but it wrapped up nicely. We could seem them genuinely binding, I really liked the Twilight scene. It's kinda sad that they rejected friendship at the end due to Chrysalis's particular neurosis, this comic seems to basically be canon at this point: https://www.deviantart.com/underpable/art/Hay-No-655803554

At this point, it appears the series finale could go either way with whether the villains end up getting redeemed, it depends on whether they ultimately end up accepting friendship despite their outward rejection of it. I hope they get their happy ending, they've grown too much to just kill them off, and if they fail it would be a tragedy in the classical sense. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I loved that. It was a good comedy episode with great interactions between Cozy Glow, Chrysalis and Tirek. This late in the series we still get episodes that offer something new and different. A really good song too.

I believe this is only the second episode after To Change a Changeling in which there's no appearance from a member of either the Mane Six or the CMC. And along with To Change a Changeling it's the episode in which we see the fewest number of ponies on screen - just Cozy Glow and Rusty Bucket here (if we discount that flashback sequence with Gusty the Great, which doesn't really count since she wasn't animated properly) and just Starlight and Trixie in To Change a Changeling.

Edited by Solar Power
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

As good as this episode was, for someone that is near their 40th, I've seen and read this kind of stories/episodes before, and pretty much I can see (from a mile away and experience), what's going to happen.

Spoiler

At that is this:  Grogar knows what's happened, and he's setting the villians up, and by the time we head towards the finale, he will reveal to them that he knew and was on to them the whole time, and will demonstrate by retrieving his bell from where they hid it.

Trust me, that will most likely happening.

Edited by bwrosas
  • Brohoof 1

I don't even think about MLP too much but I had a funny dream days ago about an episode in which Twilight was running along a corridor with doors left and right. In one of the last doors she opened there was Princess Luna saddened that her sister Celestia was kidnapped. Later in the dream Grograr was seen capturing Apple Bloom and threatening that he would not just do things in that world but go in the real world. And then the dream got random that an (office) building from which MLP was supposedly aired suddenly got a power outage and became dark in the evening among other lit buildings and me and some others went to check what was happening personally and saw the building in dark. Then with the risk of data about MLP getting lost, someone sneaked in the building to take a (hard disk) to save the information. Weird and funny, but without knowing a villain episode was coming up, that was my notification! Thanks Luna :LunaMCM: 

Finally back to the real deal! Written by Michael Vogel, and I loved it! Definitely my most favorite single episode (not a 2-parter) of the season and at all, since this type I like the most and I rarely see such a well written and executed interaction of villains! Maybe I don't ask for more than that, it was a needed setting for the villains and knowing what direction they are heading. Totally a 5+/5 episode for me, here are my observations in more details:

World building, at least for this MLP FiM generation, the episode starts with showing the hideout of Grogar, something not revealed in the premiere. No idea where it is located but reminded a little of Chrysalis' hive but of course with its Grogar shaped cave and lava.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies.thumb.jpg.4f8433f563bb742a41226a34cce6e81f.jpg

The episode starts with 1) Indication that Sombra is not dead (contrary to what was thought) and he failed again, 2) the obvious, the ponies did not get along. Although the row between Chrysalis, Cozy Glow and Tirek went a little repeated, I was glad to see their interaction as I would not expect them to be allies quickly, I even thought they would call themselves 'frenemies' like some official term they use. Some interesting antics were:

Cozy's loony drawing/illustration that served no purpose but typically done by a filly, and Tirek's weightlifting.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies2.thumb.jpg.8e0fe9eb8470ab395526386f2bfdc035.jpg

I was surprised Chrys was not talking to her wooden planks/branches, or was it? She was using another one. It looked different from what she turned into the Mean 6.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies3.thumb.jpg.1e3690625db2ad52629a8bdf17b39c59.jpgMLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies5.thumb.jpg.4bb00a86540d94adf575ab51516656cb.jpg

Oh my gosh, there has always been something about Chrysalis I liked since Season 2's finale, something was adorable about here since then that made her forever my fave! I don't even think of her as villain lately, I like her mix of characteristics and feel like her, evil but deep inside it's like she is not. At this point I might not mind her reformation in the end. Don't know if influenced by fanfic that I don't really follow but she was SOO ADORABLE with these cupcakes, she likes them? Since when? I loved that!:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies6.thumb.jpg.40c66305d39055ca3bb63a2a4418d6da.jpg

THE SONG, usually I do not care about these as I always consider them making an episode less serious, but I found it curious to have one with Chrys and Tirek singing, that would typically never be in a song.

Then Grogar revealed the artifact he had once had, The Bell (I did not follow older generation ponies as I stated, not my thing). I liked the story about how the Bell was placed there but it does not even look like a Bell (unlike the older gen).

Moar world building

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies8.thumb.jpg.739996d86d8d49435e9b426bdcfa5a22.jpg

Whatever this new place is supposed to represent, I loved it! Nice mountainous place. That's where I thought (since it was said even the 3 villains could not do it on their own) that some of the creatures were going to out-power Chrysalis or Tirek, but Chrysalis still is nemesis for other creatures around, that got scared. Reminds me of Nightmare Moon as she went for a walk in the forest against the Timber wolves in Cutie Re-Mark.

I find this kind of secluded cozy hut as really interesting places in both games, and fantasy and when I see a pic in real world, I soo feel like living in such a place! I have one wallpaper that reminds of this, a real place probably.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies9.thumb.jpg.93a83ba324de15595ff291b1536399fb.jpg

MY GOSH CHRYS made me like her on a whole new level! All these transformations into different creatures to have the abilities she needs!

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies10.thumb.jpg.b48bfca6ab89e726e1a346bb59e26c68.jpg

What kind of mythical creatures is THAT?

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies11.thumb.jpg.25e59ab410227ab24fde69e82f2ad34a.jpg

Oh my I can't ... I need to show these pictures, there are so many exciting moments! Chrysalis... you are so savage and I like it,  I want to permanently turn myself to YOUR SIDE! :fabulous:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies12.thumb.jpg.c1213d77201e3d1f81fc9bd172adf5f1.jpg

Further, the shepard pony (im alright you kids watching MLP) as the Evil Three cause an avalanche and proceed. I totally loved their cooperation! It reminded me of some RPG, where Tirek is the warrior of strength, Chrysalis is the wizard and Cozy Glow is the errm... Im not sure.

Oh my gosh, the paled eyes, from Season 4, Tirek becoming giant again! Very interesting 'WHAT IF' Tirek stole Chrysalis' power case. I loved it! Just so much awesome!

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies13.thumb.jpg.1ba22ed10d93c31abbac8ddc4e4cb60c.jpg

And now a plot twist 

I almost thought they turned good there:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies14.thumb.jpg.d58b23f25b67f25a29411c22f57db81c.jpg

Never thought Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy want to turn against Grogar, wouldn't that be a reason for the Mane 6 and the rest of the world to succeed?

Is the bell going to give powers to the Evil Three? Will they make Grogar their captive and overthrow him and his power? I thought it would increase the stakes if they remained with him, as this is a very big decision that may already foreshadow the outcome of MLP, who may be reformed and who would not.

I like it though because I like the 3 villains more than Grogar, though this might make them as weak as they were when they had to deal with the Mane 6 alone. Thus, how will this turn into the Mane 6's biggest enemies they ever had to face as a finale of MLP, one has yet to see. JUST AWESOME! Great ep!

Very interesting, I love it and this is by far one of my most favorite if not the most favorite single episode of all seasons!  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I won't call it I love this episode, I just like it :P, I really enjoyed that all of them bonded over their hatred over ponies, even though I thought that Tirek didn't have strong feelings toward Twilight whatsoever. And I don't really understand what exactly is Cozy Glow grudge towards Twilight. Chrysalis is the only one who might hate ponies because they turned her hive against her.

And of course all of them turned against Grogar like I thought they would.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 2

27 minutes ago, ImpctR said:

What kind of mythical creatures is THAT?

Hide contents

MLPFiM-Se9-ep204-Frenemies11.thumb.jpg.25e59ab410227ab24fde69e82f2ad34a.jpg

I believe one of the members called it a

Spoiler

Lamia with a bull head

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

One of the most unique episodes of the show in addition to being one of the finest. The instant I found out it was written by Michael Vogel was the instant I knew it was going to be good, just not this good. No pacing and storytelling flaws, they got the song out of the way as soon as possible to get straight to the plot, showed every villain at their best, and showed easily the best series of villain interactions in the show. The most pleasant surprise to me was the foreshadowing of Tirek, Cozy Glow, and Chrysalis turning the tables on Grogar at the end, I loved how they were able to learn how to work together without wanting to change their ways and were able to make the call to rise up against a foe clearly more powerful than them. That's not something I would've expected of them judging from their actions in the premiere, which showcases good character development. The most unpleasant surprise to me was no mention of Sombra. You'd think he'd be name-dropped here once with all the unexpected mentions this season, but I guess they're just really good at this game they're playing with his fans. :laugh:

You have misheard. It was "crush our enemies to dust". :P

Dust makes more sense, but I heard “death” too. It was striking when I heard it, because the villains have never tried to kill anyone before. “Crush to death” is very violent, whereas “crush to dust” can have an idiomatic interpretation.

5 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Actually, in S4 premiere, Fluttershy said this about the Tree of Harmony: "I think it's dying"

Well, great Disney Villains have sung great songs. 

It's a mandatory requirement that Disney villains have great songs.  That requirement HAD to hold true for My Little Pony villains as well.  Hence why this song was all kinds of awesome.  Take three of the most notorious villains of this series so far, give them an addictive song, and it becomes like honey for the ears.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ChB said:

All I can say about this episode is: I hope the ending the writers went with is a lead-up to something really good in future episodes.

My prediction:

Spoiler

Tirek, Cozy Glow & Chrysallis will forcefully group hug Grogar until he reluctantly says:

Then every creature lives happily ever after. :D

• Brohoof 4

5 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

While I would've LOVED to have seen more episodes from the perspective of the villains, I think the fact that this episode is the only one of its kind is what makes it so unique.

This is true. At least we were give an episode like this instead of the writers not doing so.

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

My prediction:

I really hope not, 

Spoiler

I would not mind hugging though

• Brohoof 1

As good as this episode was, for someone that is near their 40th, I've seen and read this kind of stories/episodes before, and pretty much I can see (from a mile away and experience), what's going to happen. 

Spoiler

"Spoiler"At that is this:  Grogar knows what's happened, and he's setting the villians up, and by the time we head towards the finale, he will reveal to them that he knew and was on to them the whole time, and will demonstrate by retrieving his bell from where they hid it."Spoiler"

OH, MY GAWD, I REALLY LOVE THIS EPISODE :yay:. I can’t believe even Chrissy and Satan Bull were able to pull comical situations. The song, the adventure. Damn, this episode has everything :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

I really loved this episode because villains who hate each other but are really best friends is my favorite trope. XD Their little squabbles were hilarious, and Cozy was adorably crazy. 

I think Grogar might know they're plotting to betray him, and it might even be part of his plan to get them to work together. 

I'm sort of hoping their friendship, though they deny it's existence, will win out in the end and they don't destroy each other. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Such a fun episode but for some reason one thing was going through my mind:

medium.jpeg

Why wasn't Rusty Bucket voiced by Dan Castellaneta!?

Every time he appeared on screen I just wished he sounded like Arnold's Grandpa.

IMG_20190518_222920.jpg.0a3d0196fc0603adec52fc6dbfcb7217.jpg

"Now hold your caboose, little filly, I know a thing or two about this here mountain. And if you'd like I'll tell you all about it in my long, drawn out, incredibly boring and tedious life story. All written down in this 1500 page book.

medium.jpeg

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 2

There have been some very last-seasony episodes in this, the last season; I'm impressed - It makes me slightly more optimistic for the potential of the final episode.