FlareGun45

S09:E08 - Frenemies

TheTaZe

Remember, this thread is full of spoilers. If you click on this thread, you should know what you are getting yourself into.

Message added by TheTaZe

Episode Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What did you thing!

• Grogar too OP pls nerf - Hated it
    • Chrysalis changes into your waifu and drains you - Not a fan
    • Grogar reads 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' and falls asleep - It was okay
    • Tirek chills while all of you vote - Liked it
    • Cozy casts "Adorbs" -- It's super effective - LOVED IT

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

I feel like this could happen at some point in the future. 

Reforming on their own would be a good lesson as it does not take others to realize one's own faults. Sometimes.

Badges

1 minute ago, Califorum said:

Reforming on their own would be a good lesson as it does not take others to realize one's own faults. Sometimes.

I would like Tirek to reform. He seems like he's halfway there already, IMO. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

Badges

2 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I would like Tirek to reform. He seems like he's halfway there already, IMO. 

I wouldn't mind if they all reformed, just as long as they do it on their own. If now, I'd like to see them banished to the stars as constellations.

Badges

I'm a little behind of the episode, but I saw it, and it's good.  I'm glad we got an episode just starring villains.  They're all getting reformed in the end, aren't they?:dry:

Badges

2 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

I'm a little behind of the episode, but I saw it, and it's good.  I'm glad we got an episode just starring villains.  They're all getting reformed in the end, aren't they?:dry:

here's what I think will happen 

(just a theory here but)
In the finale Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow will team up with the Mane 6 or whoever to defeat Grogar and they will be reformed
So yes, most likely, but not Grogar

1 hour ago, Zantetsuken said:

here's what I think will happen 

(just a theory here but)
In the finale Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow will team up with the Mane 6 or whoever to defeat Grogar and they will be reformed
So yes, most likely, but not Grogar

I was thinking similar except I picture him getting his bell defeating the whoever and then being taken down by the other villains because his ultimate plan goes too far even for them (possibly with "You're new home my mind enslaved pets." as he prepares to turn them into something).

Overall, I would probably call this an okay episode. It serves to advance the plot for this season while introducing some twists, and it has some good moments. For example, it was interesting to see Chrysalis feeding off of love again, and cocooning her prey. I liked Tirek's sitting back and just letting the other two fail. And I liked that Rusty Bucket didn't fall for Cozy Glow's "golly gee, poor pitiful me" shtick, which resulted in her "true nature" being shown, and her subsequent failures at going it alone. However, I also found that this episode exhibits an (seemingly increasing) overreliance on contorted and hyper-exaggerated facial expressions for entertainment, particularly with Cozy Glow (but also with the others), and I'm not particularly a fan of that. I don't think I have any super in-depth points to make, so I'll just write my observations below in episode order.

I do kind of wonder why Grogar continues to keep the other villains around, considering their self-centeredness, obnoxiousness, and (seeming) incompetence. Grogar says in this episode that he doesn't trust anything that any of them say, and he has to threaten them in order to get them to do anything. (Plus, I wonder if Grogar realizes that people generally resent being forced to do things under threat, and will look to avoid or do the bare minimum of work under such conditions.) Grogar also hasn't been making much of any effort to work with the other villains; so far, he's just repeatedly told them and threatened them to work together while he just does his own thing. I guess we'll see if Grogar's aloofness and lack of investment in working with the others is all part of his plan, and will play into later episodes.

As I saw someone else point out, Queen Chrysalis is only a queen if other people recognize her as such, and right now, she's not really a "queen" of anything.

Where did, for example, the arts and crafts supplies for Cozy Glow's poster come from, or the cupcakes that were at the team meeting? Those don't seem like the kinds of things that Grogar would just have lying around.

Chrysalis tells Cozy Glow that she "doesn't do meetings". But what about when she was queen of the changelings? Would she not have had meetings, even if only to give orders to commanders or such? For example, in "To Where And Back Again - Part 1", the changelings who were impersonating the Mane Seven gave a report to Chrysalis in the Cutie Map room; does that not count as a meeting?

I could see how Chrysalis might have some reason to believe that she could overcome the magical winds "preventing anypony from reaching [Mt. Everhoof's] peak", because she could transform into other animals that might be better suited to scaling the mountain. But after the three villains go their separate ways, Cozy Glow also believes that she'll get to the top first and be waiting for the other two. How did Cozy Glow believe, at that point in time, that she could overcome the magical winds specifically designed to "prevent anypony from reaching [Mt. Everhoof's] peak"? She wouldn't seem to have any particular physical advantage. Had she already seen Rusty Bucket's house and expected to recruit whomever's living there (using her special talent) to help her reach the top?

Rusty Bucket tells Cozy Glow "I'm the guardian of this here mountain. It's my job to keep ponies from heading up". So who gave him that job? Is he being paid for it? Perhaps Gusty the Great tasked Rusty Bucket's ancestors with guarding the mountain, and that responsibility has been handed down through the generations (with their family having to live off the land). But if so, then who's next in line to fulfill this duty, if, as Rusty Bucket says, "there ain't been ponies around here in I-don't-know-how-many moons"? Does Rusty have any other family? Is anyone else aware that Rusty is here doing this job? This reminds me a bit of the ticket pony that Applejack and Fluttershy ran into in "Sounds Of Silence" - someone just doing a job alone, out in the middle of nowhere, with essentially no contact with pony society.

Also, if "there ain't been ponies around here in I-don't-know-how-many moons", then how did Rusty get a copy of the Friendship Journal? In "Fame And Misfortune", we see the copies of the Friendship Journal being distributed by book stores, news stands, or by Twilight in person. And Rusty's statement above would seem to preclude, say, somebody delivering mail to him. We don't know if it was even possible to get a copy of the Journal by mail, or if anyone would know where he is in order to, say, teleport a copy to him. Did Rusty abandon his post to go to some town relatively recently, and he bought a copy there himself?

When the three villains are sitting around the campfire, Cozy Glow grabs her toasted marshmallow with her bare hooves and pulls it off the stick before eating it. Even if we assume that it's not too hot (if it's at a safe temperature to eat), I know from experience making s'mores that toasted marshmallows make a sticky mess that isn't easy to clean. Wouldn't eating the marshmallow off the stick be less liable to make her hooves sticky and messy?

Referring back to the events of "Twilight's Kingdom", Tirek tells the other two "You should've seen Twilight's face when her friends appeared in bubbles around me. She was all...", followed by Tirek contorting his face and making exaggerated groans. But if we go back to that scene in "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2", Twilight actually didn't make a contorted facial expression, and she had a shocked intake of breath, but didn't scream or groan or anything like that.

When the villainous three bury Rusty and his house in snow and walk by him to approach Mr. Everhoof, what is Rusty supposed to do? Is he supposed to try to stop them himself? Is he supposed to inform some higher authority of the attempt to breach the mountain?

That vine across the ravine stays surprisingly stiff and straight when both Chrysalis and Tirek are making their way across it.

Cozy Glow says to Tirek to keep the hole in the magical barrier open, or else she'll be trapped forever. But why would that be? If Tirek became too tired to keep the hole open, could he not just rest and do it again later? It doesn't look as though Tirek's opening a hole in the barrier was permanently using his magic or anything.

The villainous three are shown to enjoy having worked together to retrieve Grogar's bell, before they reiterate that they totally aren't going to succumb to the magic of friendship. But people can work together on things (or make trades, etc.) just because they each expect to benefit from doing so, even without becoming friends or turning to "the good side" or anything like that. So if this is intended to foreshadow their eventual reformation, I wouldn't necessarily see that as a good argument for eventually "turning good".

Grogar's bell is glowing at the end of the episode, when it wasn't earlier. Is there any significance to that? Would Grogar be able to feel the bell's presence, even if he didn't see it directly?

I think Rusty was sort of a park ranger he wasn't there to protect the cavern at the top of the mountain he was there to protect ponies from trying to climb the extremely dangerous mountain that could kill them.

Now this is a first. A Mane 6 Rogues' gallery episode, and no Mane 6 featured in this episode. :wacko:

Badges

I really enjoyed this episode. :laugh: I love the dynamic between Cozy, Chryssy and Tirek and I love how they only developed it more in this episode. 

Badges

On 5/19/2019 at 6:34 AM, Truffles said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Equestrian version of "The Throat of the World!" Though I doubt Paarthurnax (or any other dragon) is busy being philosophical up there. XD

I don't know it by this word but in a broader definition this looks like the Canadian Taiga and because this is Equestria, there is the Mount in the middle of it.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:01 AM, ShootingStar159 said:
Spoiler

E97EEB0D-763C-426A-9458-B4279D670D50.thumb.png.58a5059adcd9b27c297910bd91789b67.png

Holy moly didn't realize that was a Mean Twilight piece.. freaky (I recall only them turning back to regular branches not pieces of actual pony)

On 5/19/2019 at 7:02 AM, qwerE said:

I really wonder what the villain 3's next plan will be. My guess on the story is probably that they'll try to fight Twilight on their own without Grogar and fail, but learn about the magic of friendship in the process and become Twilight's friends, then fight Grogar as a team with the mane 6 in the finale. :mlp_icwudt:

The one thing that makes the alarm about it is currently there are a whole too many heroes/champions. Luna and Celestia alone should be a power, I suppose they are all just the first group with Cadence, Shining Armor and the Mane 6-7. Then there are the Pillars of Equestria who get forgotten but really it's because they should not be stealing the spotlight. Then there is Discord that can do a lot of things alone. THE BALANACE OF POWERS is not there, The Good side is way way ahead. What will happen if Chrys, Tirek, Cozy and all mentioned turned against Grogar. What about the Dragons, Yaks, Changelings? I suppose the latter do not need to participate since their lands are not threatened but even so, too many champions, School Six also and CMC's , villains are becoming too little to withstand ALL the good powers.

Oh and will Tempest come or make a cameo finally? She's the only one not mentioned from a lot of other references like Klugetown, Mount Eris and the Hyppos. I don't know if we will see something like lord of the rings kind battle of races but the villains are too WEAK! Unless Grogar is some demigod. A recent fighting game I am playing raises this thing of good side being too OP, and someone taking measures to balance it out. Storm King perhaps is not reliable for Grogar, maybe, and he looked kind of dead.

Few other missed observations from the episode:

- The villains had their 'To where and back again' with this whole quest to Mount Everhoof. They also made their 'Campfire tales' and it felt a little like 'Dragon Quest'.

I wonder if the drawing of Cozy Glow SOMEHOW made it out of Grogar's Caves Under The Flooded Castle Ruins and the startling smiling four villains are seen in Ponyville OR the Mane 6-7-8 will Go There (Grogar's Lair) And Back Again.

- Cozy still felt least fave of the villains to me. Her spoiled brat behavior seen with Rusty Bucket and how she's still a filly acting like an angry kid, she has no powers, no alicorn like Flurry Heart, make her look more OP than she is supposed to be. She is more irritating than Diamond Tiara.

Edited by ImpctR