Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Were you disappointed with Sombra in season 9?

Dashy 4 Ever

To be honest, I was very disappointed the way he was portrayed. Sure, I was very satisfied how good he looked and the fact that he returned (Which made up for it)

I really dislike the fact that Sombra went from a pony that was frightening, had a dark story and character, had like a deep Italian mafia voice, and from there went to some dude that would whine a lot, acted like a teenager, and his voice was sometimes flat out cringe. I honestly think they ruined him somewhat what could've been MLP's darkest character. Then again, this is my opinion but I am still happy MLP decided to bring him back.

See the source image

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think his portrayal in season 9 premier was great, we didn't know what his personality was other then the fact that he is smart, cruel and powerful, and everything which was showed in season 3 was shown here(other then the voice, but you could say his voice in season 3 was different because he was a cloud for the majority of the episode and when he regained his body you can say he still hasn't regained full power, that's why he talks so little in season 3, and honestly, I think the voice is similar enough if you ignore the echo and all the filters they used there). 

30 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

I really dislike the fact that Sombra went from a pony that was frightening, had a dark story and character, had like a deep Italian mafia voice, and from there went to some dude that would whine a lot, acted like a teenager, and his voice was sometimes flat out cringe. 

I don't think he whined a lot, sure in the ending he was pretty terrified but he realized he will probably die, again, and in s3 he behaved in a similar way before his defeat when he yelled at them "no! stop!", its consistent. And unless you count the comics he didn't have much of a backstory and character, and I think what he did in the premier was pretty frightening, if not for discord he would have won. 

Of course fans had years to envision sombras character the way they wanted and it might have just got crushed here so its understandable why some may not like it, but personally I loved it.      

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Sadly yes.

Felt like a double downgrade. Neither the uniqueness from The Crystal Empire and The Cutie Re-Mark, nor the depth/lore from FIENDship Is Magic and Siege Of The Crystal Empire.

#NotMySombra

Edited by Even Evil Has Standards
  • Brohoof 3

I wish they had just focused on Sombra as a major character and done the whole comic book take on him in the show proper. It was not entirely disappointing but I think using the comic book arc would have been an excellent idea. 

• Brohoof 1

Not really! I enjoyed the premiere! Sombra was a huge threat despite being defeated! After all, he did destroy the Tree of Harmony, and helped Grogar make a point, so he did his part!

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, as someone who considers King Sombra as best pony of the whole franchise and has developed an idea of who and how he is, I really wasn't disappointed in the least. In fact; I quite loved what we were presented with!

Though, if I have one critique, Sombra didn't finish the job when he should've. He destroyed the tree and had the Mane 6 where he wanted them...but just left them. For being the ultimate planner and great tactician he is; that was a HUGE blunder. Granted, he had a backup plan in messing with their minds in invading Ponyville and mentally enslaving the citizens of Ponyville and Canterlot had their desired effect in deflating them further (really; only Discord saved them there). But still; blunder is still a blunder.

That aside; I was perfectly happy with how he was portrayed. While he never said much and was completely goal-driven in "The Crystal Empire," I can accept his more ego-driven personality in the S9 premiere. I mean, we get small glimpses of that in S3 and S5, but it's enough for me to buy it here. Plus, even with that personality, he is still goal-driven. He invaded the Crystal Empire like no one's business and actually succeeded! Had he not been an apparition in S3; I doubt Cadance would've stood much of a chance. Likewise; Canterlot stood no chance, especially with the royal guards not wanting to attack the Ponyville citizens; GENIUS move on Sombra's part there.

Not to mention; I LOVED how Sombra was not impressed at all with Grogar. I mean, Chrysalis and Tirek were definitely intimidated, but not Sombra. Everytime I see that scene; I just have this satisfied smile on my face.

So, in the end, I was perfectly happy with Sombra in season 9. He was still at his tactical & strategic best, was only defeated due to Discord's interference, and left enough of an impression on everyone that even Canterlot's defenses needed to be reworked. Yeah, he blundered in not finishing off the Mane 6 when he shouldn't have, but he had backup plans in place to help mitigate that. In the end, I still love my Shadow King. <3

• Brohoof 4

I was a little disappointed that he was defeated in the manner he was.  But I get why they did it.  They did it to make a point, and it was a good one.

• Brohoof 1

There wasn't much there to ruin to begin with

He hardly had any character before hand, so they just went full ham with it

• 1 month later...

Yes. First off, I don’t like his voice. I was expecting something more raspy and intimidating. The voice he has isn’t terrible but it’s just not to my liking. Second, I don’t like the fact that he was killed off. I think that he would have made an awesome addition to the evil team! I am bummed out that he likely won’t return. 

On 5/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, PathfinderCS said:

Honestly, as someone who considers King Sombra as best pony of the whole franchise and has developed an idea of who and how he is, I really wasn't disappointed in the least. In fact; I quite loved what we were presented with!

Though, if I have one critique, Sombra didn't finish the job when he should've. He destroyed the tree and had the Mane 6 where he wanted them...but just left them. For being the ultimate planner and great tactician he is; that was a HUGE blunder. Granted, he had a backup plan in messing with their minds in invading Ponyville and mentally enslaving the citizens of Ponyville and Canterlot had their desired effect in deflating them further (really; only Discord saved them there). But still; blunder is still a blunder.

That aside; I was perfectly happy with how he was portrayed. While he never said much and was completely goal-driven in "The Crystal Empire," I can accept his more ego-driven personality in the S9 premiere. I mean, we get small glimpses of that in S3 and S5, but it's enough for me to buy it here. Plus, even with that personality, he is still goal-driven. He invaded the Crystal Empire like no one's business and actually succeeded! Had he not been an apparition in S3; I doubt Cadance would've stood much of a chance. Likewise; Canterlot stood no chance, especially with the royal guards not wanting to attack the Ponyville citizens; GENIUS move on Sombra's part there.

Not to mention; I LOVED how Sombra was not impressed at all with Grogar. I mean, Chrysalis and Tirek were definitely intimidated, but not Sombra. Everytime I see that scene; I just have this satisfied smile on my face.

So, in the end, I was perfectly happy with Sombra in season 9. He was still at his tactical & strategic best, was only defeated due to Discord's interference, and left enough of an impression on everyone that even Canterlot's defenses needed to be reworked. Yeah, he blundered in not finishing off the Mane 6 when he shouldn't have, but he had backup plans in place to help mitigate that. In the end, I still love my Shadow King. <3

Pretty much this, it was not quit exactly what I expected but it didn't really bother me. His actions were very satisfying and from a strategical point of view he was really great. Maybe his voice in the polish ver. is slightly better, but its arguable.   

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Everyone goes about how disappointing it was for him to lose so easily.

I was surprised about how easily he won on the Crystal Empire, with Cadande's family having a strengthened Crystal heart full of their citizens love. Makes no sense at all.

Edited by DonMaguz
  • Brohoof 1

I think the biggest problem of him was how shallow he was and how he lacked dignity. He was not that noble or prudent than Garble, and that's a big problem. About him being defeated too quickly, everything in the episode happens so quick and weightless. I think he wasn't the worst part.

People who brought back Sombra didn't do it because they had so much ideas and was inspired to do it, it's quite the opposite. I wasn't expecting too much nor exited to see him. I was surprised, because he was long gone and I thought it wasn't a good timing to bring him back.

Most of all, he wasn't in Frienemies. Pretty much pointless (the story would have been the same if he was defeated but survived), failed as a fanservice as well.

• Brohoof 2

I guess the best writers of the show did what they could. Sombra's graphical death was really worth it (I don't miss him).

But why did the staff go with that horrible voice???? It doesn't make sense to me :scoots::mlp_gag::yuck:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

He was fantastic in the premier; the disappointment is that he was dispelled for good and didn't join Grogar's legion. This even contradicts Grogar's dialogue in Part 1, where he says that Sombra will do as he is told if he fails to retake the Crystal Empire.

Imagine 'Frenemies' with King Sombra in it. That would've been dope.

Edited by ErisPegasus
  • Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, ErisPegasus said:

He was fantastic in the premier; the disappointment is that he was dispelled for good and didn't join Grogar's legion. This even contradicts Grogar's dialogue in Part 1, where he says that Sombra will do as he is told if he fails to retake the Crystal Empire.

Imagine 'Frenemies' with King Sombra in it. That would've been dope.

Well, Sombra didn't go with grogars plan either, he didn't try to take over just the crystal empire, but take over all of equestria, and considering how he treated grogar its understandable why grogar did not bring him back once again. Another possible explanation is that grogar could only summon him once or the second time sombra did not get dispelled but actually died or something. You can spin it in many directions.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Expectation:

Spoiler

large.png

Reality:

Spoiler

large.png

Granted, even with his performance, he did win, until the plot-mandated idiot ball made him keep his prisoners alive (Not to mention nobody ever accounts for Pinkie Pie being able to warp reality on a level Discord can only dream of)

Any remotely realistic take on things would've had the main six lose every one of their encounters with a stronger foe, but that's only in the realm of fanfiction, for better or for worse...

Edited by The Nth Doctor
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2019-07-24 at 10:19 AM, Splashee said:

But why did the staff go with that horrible voice???? It doesn't make sense to me :scoots::mlp_gag::yuck:

Ironically — Alvin Sanders (his new actor) also voiced Cybron (Skysurfer Strike Force), a villain who acted and sounded closer to S3 Sombra.

Edited by Even Evil Has Standards