Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"I'm on a Yacht" - Thoughts?

Tales

I know Equestria Girls has often received the short-end of the stick when it comes to music, but I personally feel like this latest song is an all-time low. They use an air horn in a pandering 'meme' way, and the only character who can really rap is Pinky Pie. This is just my own biased opinion though. I am curious to know what your thoughts on the song are. 

• Brohoof 4

This was a really shitty song and is probably the worst of the “how do you do fellow kids” trends the last few shorts has been doing. Worst song in the entire franchise and it’s not even close 

• Brohoof 2

Not really one of my favorite EqG songs, that's for sure. :please: Though I do kind of enjoy it in a "so bad it's good" way (so I guess it's not a complete miss). Some parts of it aren't bad at all (the sung parts), but others don't really work as well.

Sunset Shimmer rapping wasn't very high on my wish list, and in all honesty, I think she should stick to singing from now on. :P The absolute worst part (even worse than Spike's unnecessary interlude) was the one about Applejack falling asleep, the lyrics were embarrassing there. :laugh:

They actually showed a clip from this song in the "Spring Breakdown" Comic-Con teaser... That makes me wonder if it was originally meant to be in the special and then cut (maybe because of it's slightly questionable quality :adorkable:).

• Brohoof 5

13 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

Not really one of my favorite EqG songs, that's for sure. :please: Though I do kind of enjoy it in a "so bad it's good" way (so I guess it's not a complete miss). Some parts of it aren't bad at all (the sung parts), but others don't really work as well.

Sunset Shimmer rapping wasn't very high on my wish list, and in all honesty, I think she should stick to singing from now on. :P The absolute worst part (even worse than Spike's unnecessary interlude) was the one about Applejack falling asleep, the lyrics were embarrassing there. :laugh:

They actually showed a clip from this song in the "Spring Breakdown" Comic-Con teaser... That makes me wonder if it was originally meant to be in the special and then cut (maybe because of it's slightly questionable quality :adorkable:).

If this was originally meant to be in Spring Breakdown... man... I guess every light casts a shadow....

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I haven't watched the episode yet. I have it, but I'm saving it up.

It's not an episode. It's just a music video that was supposed to be 'tied' to the episode. Trust me; You won't be spoiling any of "Spring Breakdown" by watching the music video.

4 hours ago, Tales said:

It's not an episode. It's just a music video that was supposed to be 'tied' to the episode. Trust me; You won't be spoiling any of "Spring Breakdown" by watching the music video.

Oh, I have spring breakdown. I didn't know there was a separate music video. I'll have to grab it.

What can I say? It was different. ^_^

I like that they tried something new and experimented with new genres. They even mocked some of the tropes you get with some newer music videos today, but still tried to keep the song to their own.

I’d give it a 5/10, wouldn’t listen to it again. :laugh:

Spike had best verse. :mustache:

• Brohoof 3

I don't even know what they're doing with this one. I thought it would be a lot more Lonely Island-esque but this mostly reminds me of the beach ones from last year in that this wouldn't be any different were it set in Equestria. I'm amused to see these characters rapping, but the song itself is just kinda lame and limp and overly sanitized. Pinkie has a sick flow tho.

• Brohoof 1

I am going to be the outlier here and say that I enjoyed it.  I found how over the top and ridiculous it was to be entertaining and not annoying.  But that's just me.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Jedi Nye-t said:

I think the worst part was that they referred to themselves as "EG"

Yeah, what was that about? It was also my least favorite part of the video. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

As open minded and accepting as I usually am...that song was absolutely atrocious, and the video was way too jumpy for my tastes. I mean is seems like they had so many scenes to put it and just...it didn't work out at all.

And that song...bad. IIRC, Ingram was no longer working on EqG at this point, and...it shows in this case.

• Brohoof 3

…is this piece of shit supposed to be a joke?! I have no idea if it's meant to satire contemporary culture or embrace it! It panders WAY too hard to the modern demographics to be a parody, and the subject and lyrics are too damn STUPID to be taken seriously.

Also, OW, MY EYES! I don't need any form of animation to implement SHAKY CAM!

*goes off to soothe my eyes* Fuck this "music video"!

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Also, OW, MY EYES! I don't need any form of animation to implement SHAKY CAM!

Somepony's been watching WWE. :P

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

…is this supposed to be a joke?!

Maybe. :ooh: 

This could be the EQG crew making a video poking fun at how weird this whole experience has been. :dash:

(edited)

Still better than I'm on a Boat by The Lovely Island :laugh:.

I really liked I'm on a Yacht and I have a suspicion it was inspired by that song.

I think the song supposed to be a joke.:o But anyway the best performance by the Sunset Shimmer so far.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know about you guys but I LOVED it! The visuals, the chorus...but if there's one thing I DON'T like, it's the quality of the lyrics in the "AJ gets a sunburn" part. Other than that, it's great in my opinion, and I actually ended up having a dance party in my room to it.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Despite being wonderfully cheesy I loved it. I loved it because it was so cheesy. It's exactly what I want from Equestria Girls. It's always been FIM's geeky, uncool cousin.

• Brohoof 1