Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Music without drums

MangoFoalix

Here is an interesting thought experiment. Try to think of all the music you have listened to in your life and imagine it not having drums or percussion in any way. Would you enjoy it any less or would you enjoy it even more. Would it be weird for it to have no beat?

For me, I listen quite a lot of metal and rock, so those genres without drums would make the music just seem a lot slower and it would make it feel like something would be missing.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think of drums as being secondary (not as secondary as bass though) but there are times and certain songs where drums add something pretty valuable. 

A good example I can think of for drums is in classical music. Western classical seems very treble-heavy, but indian classical makes fantastic use of tabla drums, which definitely adds something important. 

Most of the songs I love have fantastic drum beats. I can't say the songs themselves would be bad without the drums, but it does add something, if not neccessary, still nice or better to have. Can't really imagine "Like a Rolling Stone" or "A Day in the Life" without drums

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

I can't say because I haven't heard the songs without drums. However, I most certainly doubt I would like them better. Instrumentation is so important to my enjoyment of music after all. Even if I don't notice the element all of that much (which drums is usually one of those instruments I don't notice much... Sorry, drummers! You are important!), I would certainly notice if it were gone and would be unhappy.

I think I'd be most unhappy if you removed drums from Renaissance dance music. I have always associated specifically drums with my love for that sound.

• Brohoof 1

Drum & Bass would be half of what it is without them. :sunny:

I most most if not all music would sound empty without drums. I can only think of one Hip-Hop song that doesn’t use drums but it also features a few hi hats.

I think all music could do with less drums. Definitely not removed altogether (except for songs that didn't have drums in the first place), but dialed down a bit. To be fair, I'm not a fan of overuse of drums. They have their place, and attempting to be the music instead of add to it is not that place.

So really if all drums in music were gone, hmm... I could dig it. Might take a little getting used to, but I'm good with that.

• 1 year later...