Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Music since the late 90s

heavens-champion

Um... what? Of course it changed a lot. Like, it changed a lot.

What makes you even think that nothing has changed? What rock are you even living in to think that? Maud's rock? :mlp_maud:

• Brohoof 7

What in gods name are you talking about? You obviously haven't listened to much music if you don't think it has changed a lot since the 90's. It has changed so much since the 90's that I can't list everything.

Let's take Grunge for an example. Grunge was big in the 90's. Do you hear grunge a lot nowadays? Not really. 

• Brohoof 1

Mainstream music is so different nowadays... compare today's rock, rap, and country music to that of the 90s and the difference is pretty clear IMO. Even in the early to mid 2000s, music was very different from how it was in the 90s.

Now there are some genres like metal that I'd argue have changed less. But even then, not a lot of modern metal sounds the way it did 20 years ago.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

Mainstream music is so different nowadays... compare today's rock, rap, and country music to that of the 90s and the difference is pretty clear IMO. Even in the early to mid 2000s, music was very different from how it was in the 90s.

Now there are some genres like metal that I'd argue have changed less. But even then, not a lot of modern metal sounds the way it did 20 years ago.

Your reply is the first one that doesn't sound like I just woke up from a coma.

Oh it's absolutely changed. 

The 90s were a diverse and experimental time in heavy music. The types of changes within genres that takes decades to happen went down in a single one. 

Here's a list of all the sub-genre's that had their commercial peak or break through during the 90s. 

• Thrash metal
  • Glam Rock
  • Grunge
  • Alt. Rock
  • Death metal
  • Groove metal/ Post-thrash
  • Sludge / Doom metal 
  • Industrial metal
  • Goth metal
  • Progressive metal
  • Pop punk
  • Skate punk
  • Ska
  • Straight Edge
  • Post grunge
  • Alternative metal
  • Nu-metal

Now look at the landscape 20 years later. Not only has it changed, it's almost a diametric opposite. Things have stagnated. Only a handful of the aforementioned subgenre's are still going strong, but not much innovation in the music landscape. 

54 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Let's take Grunge for an example. Grunge was big in the 90's. Do you hear grunge a lot nowadays? Not really. 

Not in it's purest form, but I'd argue Grunge has had the longest lingering influence. Most of the new stuff on rock radio apes heavily from grunge. 

6 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Not in it's purest form, but I'd argue Grunge has had the longest lingering influence. Most of the new stuff on rock radio apes heavily from grunge. 

True, but it's not grunge. Nothing today comes close to something like Nirvana or Alice in Chains.

2 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Three days grace and Seether. 

Three days grace hasn't made a good album since the early 2000's. So, not really.

2 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Three days grace hasn't made a good album since the early 2000's. So, not really.

I agree. Nothing of theirs has hooked me since Life Starts Now.

But I'm not talking about good. I'm talking about them remaining relevant in the public conscious. They're one of the closest things modern rock has to a heavy hitter. 

1 minute ago, Denim&Venom said:

I agree. Nothing of theirs has hooked me since Life Starts Now.

But I'm not talking about good. I'm talking about them remaining relevant in the public conscious. There one of the closest things modern rock has to a heavy hitter. 

I mean... I guess? I haven't really listened to their newer albums because quite frankly I'm not a big fan of the vocalist.

Definitely it changed a lot. And honestly not too much in the good direction. Sure, you've got some of them really good songs, but a lot of them became more irritating, more curse words, and just plain stupid. (In my opinion)

3 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I mean... I guess? I haven't really listened to their newer albums because quite frankly I'm not a big fan of the vocalist.

Yeah neither am I. He had his place in My Darkest Days. He isn't bad, but he just doesn't sound all that distinctive. He's like a poor mans Chester Bennington. They're trying to soldier on and it's good that they found a singer willing to stick around. But it isn't working for me either.  

But point is, lots and lots of people still love them and they're still doing arena tours.

You know who else does arena tours? Iron Maiden. That's the level of gravitas 3DG still hold to the rock crowd. 

(edited)

It has changed a lot. I'm of the opinion that the 90s and early 2000s had some very good music become popular. Since then, I haven't been impressed with the selection of chart topping songs.

Edited by Zestanor

I remember actually liking the pop and rock that came out in the early to mid 00s. I was a teenager then, though, so maybe it's just nostalgia. I feel like pop/rock on the radio has changed a lot since then. To be fair, I don't actively listen to it... But the trait of pop hits post mid-00s that has always caught my attention and has made me hate it is the overkill usage of autotune. It sounds horrible, and overall the instrumentation is far too electronic for me. Today's pop hits just sound so hollow to me, just too electronic.

Music not only changed but it died in the progress. 

• Brohoof 1

I would say that a lot has changed. Songs back in the 90’s and into the early 2000’s were very raw and emotional. I wouldn’t classify most songs these days as raw and emotional, then again my taste in music has changed over the years. I mainly listen to Post Malone. Lol

I feel that music has seen some major changes since the late 90s. That period introduced many styles and genres that manage to influence music nowadays. Certain genres have faded through time and others have become more common than ever, despite being substantially different to what they were. Whether these changes were for the better is up to you, though.