Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable around their own gender?

Octavia Heartstrings

I'm a 16-year-old guy, and I generally don't get along with or feel comfortable around other guys my age. Talking to them, especially about anything related to girls or politics, is absolutely infuriating because of all the sexism that comes into play. A lot of the stuff that guys my age are into, I find either boring, stupid, disgusting or all three.

I barely have any friends at my school (mostly just acquaintances), but I usually feel more at ease around girls than guys. Also, I generally get along better with people older than me than people my own age.

Does anyone else feel similarly?

• Brohoof 2

As long as everyone keeps most of their cloths on I'm good. 

I will let you know that it does get better. Usually by sophomore or junior year of college dudes start to chill out about life revolving around their penis. Some of them actually turn into decent humans.

• Brohoof 1

I used to [sometimes] at school back then. I too get along better with people older than me and younger than me--for that matter. One of those thangs... :dash:

• Brohoof 1

No, not really. I might of had somewhat of a problem back in High School, but now. Not really.

For those of you who are still unsure, I am, in fact, female ^_^

I actually do not have any female friends in real life. I have only ever had...two real female friends but that was back in grade school and early high school. I don’t know why but I have always found it easier to talk to and be friends with males. All of my current real life friends are male.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I'll assume gender = sex here.

I find myself generally uncomfortable around straight cis men most of the time. I can get along with them just fine, but it always feels awkward because 90% of the time I generally could care less about the things they want to talk about. I could care less about who won that football game, and I certainly could care less when you start talking about attractive women... :eww: You know I could talk about attractive men and crossdressing to make YOU uncomfortable! ;)

Though I have a lot less trouble making friends with other LGBT people in general, because they generally don't talk about those things. :P Not like I can't be friends with straight cis men, but it's just less often I find one that I don't find cringy… 

Edited by DusksuD

(edited)

My friend groups have always been kind of 50/50 in gender division so I'd say no. I like to engage with just about anyone, but I'd say I probably do better around girls, because my competitive streak doesn't automatically come out around them and so far, all but one place I've worked at had mostly women. I had a good time at the place that was mostly guys, but they were all a good bit older than me and more into stereotypical guy things like in depth stuff about football and cars :laugh:. Meanwhile I'd be quietly eating my lunch and would practice drawing a map of Europe.

Edited by SharpWit

I never really got along with girls, and I haven't had a female friend since I was 12 I think. Mostly because I don't have traditional "girly girl" interests and have social anxiety. But I don't hate other girls at all! In fact... I've yearned to have a close friendship with another girl. I shamelessly embrace my tomboyishness, but some days I want to learn more "girly girl" things. :please:

I've always got along with guys. It's easier to click with them and chill out doing fun things. 

It’s hard to say. I mean, I have mixed reactions depending on the personalities involved. I have a lot of female friends and work with LOTS of girls that I get along with very well. There have been other instances though, where I’m made to feel like I’m infringing on some other girl’s territory, which makes me feel seriously ostracized and uncomfortable. If a girl thinks I’m giving or receiving too much attention from her friends, or if I’m dressed too similarly or presenting some other (mis)perceived threat, I immediately feel like I’m in the dog house. I can’t get comfortable around someone who isn’t comfortable around me. When I’m at fault I try to fix the problem if I can, but some personalities are just not compatible. I get along with men pretty well overall. But again, it’s a matter of personality and general maturity rather than gender.  

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

The amount of guy friends I have outweighs the amount of girl friends I have by a ton. I just feel more comfortable, relaxed and less judged when I'm around guys. Plus, I'm super tomboyish and my interests aren't that of typical girls nowadays, that being said, interests guys would find cool, but other girls would see as weird. Like my love of pickup trucks, and getting my hands dirty under the hood, and my tomboyish attitude, for example.  

That's not to say I haven't met some super awesome girls before, but it's a rare sighting. I only know like, two girls that I've really clicked well with, and I consider them my closest friends. 

But, I'm very much capable of getting along with anyone, really. :LunaMCM: Just as long as you accept me for who I am. It isn't too much to ask. :please:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

for me, gender has nothing to do with it, i'm uncomfortable with most people my age in general, most of them want nothing else but to go out and drink until they pass out, i consider them stupid for it, and they probably consider me stupid in return for not doing it

• Brohoof 1

I usually keep my interactions at a minimum, so I haven't really encountered many uncomfortable situations with other males.

TBH, I'm just uncomfortable around people in general. If I try to find any tendencies, I tend to gravitate toward other women, though. Sometimes I'll have guy friends, but I feel more "at home" with other women as friends. So, yeah, I don't think I fit into that category.

I can get along with anyone as long as they treat me with respect although I get along better with other boys my age because I've had some bad experiences with girls so I don't get along with them in general.

I feel totally comfortable around girls and prefer their company over most of the guys I tend to meet. To be honest though I don't know all that many guys so my perception may be skewed a bit. 

• 6 months later...

I know this feeling all too well. It's far easier for me to click with guys than I do other girls. There is however the rare occasion I meet a girl who doesn't make me nervous or uncomfortable. My best friend is an example, and one of my coworkers. 

Well all the guys I'm ever exposed to either stay on their damn phones and can't even formulate a sentence, go only after girls to be popular, or only have sports and games in their heads.

I'm also shy and don't stay with girls either so I'm stuck in the middle.