Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Is being romantically in love with someone as special as it's made out to be?

AlicornSpell

(edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 11:27 PM, The Historian said:

For me, my best friend is fantastic. She's helped me get through so much shit over the last decade and I don't know what I do without her. She is absolutely wonderful and I'm lucky to have her as a friend. She's more like a sister to me than best friend. That being said, our friendship does not provide the same sort of companionship I get with a romantic partner. 

But isn't having someone who's like a sibling to you a lot better than having a romantic partner is?

Also, because of her being like a sister to you, wouldn't you be closer to her than you would with a romantic partner? 

Edited by AlicornSpell

6 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

But isn't having someone who's like a sibling to you a lot better than having a romantic partner is?

Also, because of her being like a sister to you, wouldn't you be closer to her than you would with a romantic partner? 

Mixing in siblings, friends, and romantic interests.... It gets a little bit confusing. :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

Currently I've got a best friend who's such a great influence in my life, and while we're both tossing around the idea of becoming romantically involved, even if it doesn't work we've both agreed that we're friends first and love interests second.

I guess it really just depends on if you find the right person and treat each other right.

(edited)

I actually don't believe in romantically in love or stuff like that because we live in a world where adversity is inevitable. The ones who can handle it will be just fine. I rather be in a relationship where we admit that we run into problems from time to time and try to minimize it from happening again over that "perfect" relationship where no one has flaws and that things will be smooth sailing moving forward because nobody can predict the future.

Edited by LeafFerret
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, AlicornSpell said:

For some things, yes. But I don't see her the same way as I do, say, my boyfriend. She and I tried that once and it didn't work out. Been really close friends ever since.

That being said, I still have romantic partners because I have that need, which my friendships do not fulfill.

It isn't most of it is movies trying to make money of the experience usually glorifying it. Whereas the reality is that a relationship is complicated, people think once they get the love of their life all will be sunshine and lollipops when really that is not how a relationship is. To be in love with someone you are often what's said to be like a pink cloud, you focus so much on how much you love the person that you forget your own surroundings. When you are romantically in love with someone you think about the things you want to do, have a family or living together what you want to do together. Eventually though a relationship becomes a relationship, it isn't a pink cloud forever so it isn't about that it is about caring and loving the person wanting to spend time with said person. There is drama and really it is special, having someone you love so much is really special yet people can't go think of all these expectations then feel let down when they realize a relationship is a lot of hard work.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

From what I've seen, it's amazing.

My grandparents met each other in high school, and are just as in love with each other than they were back then.

My Grandmother is sick right now, but my Grandfather refuses to leave her side. It's not because he feels like it's an obligation, it's because he loves her to the ends of the Earth. 

My parents as well, love each other very much. They met each other back in college through a friend, and haven't stopped loving each other ever since.

I've never been in a romantic relationship myself, but I've seen it with my own eyes. It looks amazing.

There will be a couple bumps on the road, because romantic love takes effort from both sides of a couple. But when you find the right person, that feeling is amazing.

Edited by Emerald Heart
  • Brohoof 1

I am aromantic so I understand. 

I am not against getting married or having a set up where a friend and I live together, but if anyone out there is the romantic type, then I am not their type.  

• 4 months later...

Also, it seems that fathers usually hate it whenever their daughter gets a boyfriend (even if the boyfriend is a good guy), and it seems that they often hate the idea of their daughter dating, and many fathers seem against the idea of their daughters dating. There are even shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "DADS AGAINST DAUGHTERS DATING".

Brothers also tend to act the same way that fathers do whenever their sister gets a boyfriend (even if the boyfriend is a good guy). It seems brothers (like fathers) hate the idea of their sisters dating.

So it seems that most fathers don't ever want their daughters to find love and be in a romantic relationship with someone, and it also seems that most brothers don't ever want their sisters to find love and be in a romantic relationship with someone.

So those could also be other reasons why the concept of romantic relationships isn't a good thing because of how protective fathers and brothers tend to be whenever their daughter or sister dates someone.

Edited by AlicornSpell
  • Brohoof 1

I once read something...

”Once you’re in a relationship, you think it’s going to last forever. But in reality it only lasts for as long as you’re working for it. If one person stops working, it falls apart.” 

And when it comes to love and relationships, I live by this. Coming from past experience it is so true. 

• Brohoof 3

And also, I heard that most people can live a life without romance and can still be happy. But most of the time, if someone doesn't have any platonic friends in their life, it can affect them really bad mentally; much worse than living a life without a romantic partner. So wouldn't that be proof that the romantic type of love isn't that special?

Edited by AlicornSpell

On 6/1/2019 at 12:37 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

Being romantically in love with someone is the greatest gift I can imagine. It elevates life to something deeper and more meaningful than I can ever describe. Before I was married I thought it would be nice to be involved on such a level but never really realized just how special it actually is. There are many happy marriages, and to look at the demographics for how many of them fail is not an accurate depiction of the situation. The majority of the 50% or so of failed marriages consists of a much smaller group of people getting married over and over rather than literally half of all married people throwing in the towel. It looks like a lot of bad marriages when in fact it’s just a few bad apples skewing the overall perception of the institution. I’m not saying all marriages are perfect, but most married people I know are happy and committed to them.  

Actually, I looked at a lot of divorce rates, and it does seem like more than half of married couples do get divorced. And also, less people are getting married now. 

1 hour ago, Pastel Heart said:

I'd say so. ♡ My relationship has literally saved my life, so..

How so? Usually platonic best friends help a person a lot more than their romantic partner or spouse do. 

Edited by AlicornSpell
  • Brohoof 1

It greatly depends on many variables.

Me for one, I see many things as special.
A blooming flower, a blue sky, the smell of grass in the rain. 
You can see them as mundane, or everyday events that end eventually.

This is also true with friendships and romance.
You never know when a lover or friend will dissapear. Sometimes they move on, sometimes they die, ...
The memory stays, and yes, it can be very painfull.
But the reason WHY you loved them and WHY you were friends, was because of a special spark.

Also, a lot of romantic couples basically disappear from each other and don't become good friends with each other after they break up or divorce. As I said, A platonic best friend is way more likely to stay in someone's life than a romantic partner is. A platonic best friend is way more likely to protect you and have your back than a romantic partner is.  

Most people have only known their spouse since sometime during their adulthood, and sometimes since their teenage years, but rarely since their childhood years. Most platonic best friends have known each other since their childhood years. So most platonic relationships have a big advantage over romantic ones in the sense that platonic best friends usually grow up together while most married couples don't usually grow up together. You are more likely to be closer to someone that you knew since childhood than you are to someone that you knew since sometime during your adult or teenager years. Most people have best friends since their childhood (at least most of the times). It takes a great amount of time to build such a strong bond.

Edited by AlicornSpell

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Also, here are 13 reasons why your best friend is more important than your romantic partner or spouse is:

1. Your best friend has seen you at your worst and they still love you. They have no need to see you looking pretty or together all the time. You could show up in curlers with the biggest pimple ever and they’d still accept you.
2. Your best friend has probably been around longer than your partner. They are reliable, loyal and entrenched in your life.
3. You don’t necessarily have more fun with your best friend but it’s a different kind of fun. It feels more relaxed and honest.
4. You don’t have to impress your best friend. You can be yourself.
5. Your best friend will drop everything and come rescue you and you’d do the same for them.
6. Your best friend will understand you and not judge you. You talk to them and feel totally understood for once in this big, bad world.
7. Your best friend has probably known you when you were a grungy, gross middle schooler or when you puked all over yourself freshman year. They’ve known you through every phase of your life.
8. You’ve always been sure about your best friend, but you sometimes doubt if your partner is really “the one.”
9. You never fight with your best friend the way you fight with your partner.
10. Your best friend is there for you after every breakup and through every awful ex. They will put you back together when you’re hurt.
11. You know if things get tough you and your best friend can run off to Mexico and go on the run.
12. There’s nothing sexual going on so you can cuddle up and watch TV together for hours and there’s no pressure to do anything but that.
13. Your best friend has probably done more for you in life, in terms of favors and life experience, than your partner has. You should show them more appreciation.

Edited by AlicornSpell