Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Emotional points in video games?

Rainbow Dash Swag

The first thing I did think of when I saw your topic was, indeed, Lee's death at the end of The Walking Dead, but there are plenty of games with sad scenes that have made me emotional. Here's a few I can recall:

• Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (NDS) - the ending is quite depressing
  • To the Moon - the story of the two main characters is more romantic and sweet than most I see in other types of media
  • Shadow of the Colossus - the whole game is quite the experience, but the ending is so bittersweet
  • The Last of Us - nowhere near as sad as TWD, but still a bit, specially the very beginning of the game
  • Valiant Hearts - it's a game about the Great War, of course it's sad
  • Heavy Rain and Detroit Become Human - the first one can be way more depressing but the latter is more emotionally gripping

I didn't include games like Final Fantasy VII and Red Dead Redemption, although I know they have their sad scenes, because I've never gotten the chance to sit down and play them.

• Brohoof 1

I've got a few:

• Subnautica: Terrorizing with a somber ending
  • Doki Doki Lit. Club: Great game to make yourself feel terrible
  • Undertale: Played this early before the hype train hit, very enjoyable, ending was bittersweet
  • Nier Automata: So much. This game was amazing, so many feelings were going through me playing this.
  • Dishonored: Old but gold game, made me feel spiteful, yet wanting to be a better person than the NPCs in the game
  • Danganronpa 2: So much despair... it's great, because the greater you feel despair, the stronger your hope becomes

Those would be my top 6 not in any specific order.

• Brohoof 1

The only time I cried during a game was the true pacifist ending in Undertale. I lost it when Asriel started using Toriel's attack where you can't get hit.

And +1 for Nier Automata. It's such an amazing game.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The ending of Spider-Man was only the second time I cried in a video game, first time since MGS3, it perfectly exemplifies Uncle Ben’s famous quote “with Great Power comes Great Responsibly”

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 2

The endings of Metal Gear Solid 3 and Final Fantasy X got me in the feels as a 14-year-old kid who rarely got emotional. I still don't get too sentimental over what happens in video game stories, but one exception that I can remember off the top of my head is Phoenix Wright and Godot's final exchange in Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations. Being suddenly able to sympathize with Godot towards the end was something I did not expect. 

• Brohoof 2

Twilight Princess when Midna almost dies, and then she has a change of heart and says she has to save Hyrule as well as the twilight realm, and then when she sacrifices herself at the end. 

• Brohoof 1

Most of my favorite games have some kind of emotional moment that really hit me in the feels. Some moments include:

• Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness: Grovyle's sacrifice and the ending
  • Virtue's Last Reward: The end of Luna's character arc, capped off by this song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFJ1r6_4mW4&t=20s
  • Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door: The Crystal Star moment during the final boss
  • Undertale: Asgore. Just... everything about Asgore and his family.
  • Brohoof 3

In Kingdom Hearts III when

Roxas and Xion return. Sadly, this scene became completely ruined by the fact that it was also used to make Kairi a damsel in distress.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The ending to Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter for the DS.  Talk about an emotional gutpunch that you would never see coming.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

The ending of Firewatch. 

idk what to think of it: it was incredibly heartwrenching yet it stayed true to the original point of the plot. any difference in the ending wouldn't have made sense.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker spoiler alert

Spoiler

Anytime I play Legend of Zelda Wind Waker it hurts when I watch as Aryll is snatched by the Helmaroc King. Seeing Link's grandmother's reaction makes me feel just as bad. You can tell this isn't how Link wanted to spend his birthday. But then at the end of the game when Daphnes is forced to destroy his own kingdom to prevent Ganondorf from returning to the Great Sea and goes down with it, you get the idea how emotional it must be even in a time the good guys win.

Edited by Aurora Wolf

Ashlynn leaving the hero behind at the end of in Dragon Quest VI, due to her not being from the actual world. It's also implied that she has a thing for the hero, making it even more emotional.

Yea there was one more I forgot about and I can’t believe I did as this was possibly the best shooter game of all time and it was the ending of Medal of Honor

When rabbit died at the end just seeing him trying to stay awake and stay alive was really heartbreaking as it was based on a true story because in real life he spent the last 30 minutes of his life trying to hang on and it made me feel for him

That game is possibly the only shooter game to actually have an impactful ending imo cod or battlefield will never have the same level of storytelling 

• 1 year later...
  • God of War 4: When Kratos kills Baldur in the end. The whole last section was very emotional
  • Metro Exodus: The last chapter felt so emotional, much pressure and horror, then Colonel died and Artyom almost died too. And the bad ending is just straight up drama
  • Control: The game's finale, the protagonist do one final struggle and... fails. Then the hiss infects her and credits roll out. It's a fake ending but it gets you the first time

Spoiler

- FNAF 4 Night 6 when the Crying Child died amongst his plushies. I sort of predicted the ending based on the previous nights, but seeing my prediction come true didn’t make it any less sad :(

- The final scene in Mario Galaxy when the Lumas all blow up and die to save the universe. I wasn’t ready for those cute, sweet little things to leave so soon!

- There’s quite a few heavy things in Undertale once I got to watching some of the scenes, but the hardest one for me to watch was the near death of Monster Kid. The fact that the protagonist was so intent on gaining XP they would drain 2 measly points from a child made me tear up, but at least he was saved later on.

- The FNAF 6 Completion Ending was really emotional with Henry’s final speech. Him talking about his daughter was pretty sad because you could tell he regretted not being able to save her. The Puppet minigame with the Puppet giving its life to save Charlie’s was pretty sad, too. 

FNAF 4 and 6, Mario Galaxy, and Undertale spoilers

Edited by ExplosionMare
Added a spoiler tag

The ending of Ace Attorney: Justice for All got me a bit emotional. Mostly because how tense the final case is and the fact that you come so close to losing everything at the last minute. They really nailed it with that one.

• Brohoof 1

The ending of Star Wars Starfighter when Nym leaves in tow of small supplies to deliver to his pirate comrades after helping two other main characters :yay:wipe out the Trade Federation on Naboo.  What makes it more fitting:catface:, you get to play Nym again in the sequel Jedi Starfighter.  Where the alien pirate teams up with a Jedi:mlp_yeehaa: you also get to play as.  Given a decade of his life waiting, puts up another fight against the Trade Federation and gets his old pirate base back.  

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild honestly.. that game is pretty sad in general... getting introduced to so many great characters that you instantly bond with, only to find out they died and can't come back... it's hard.:blush: