Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E11- Student Counsel

Kion

Student Counsel  

79 users have voted

1. 1. How was the episode

• Starlight and Trixes funny facial expressions. Loved it
    • Maud:"Im very excited this is going to be the most perfect party ever."Like it
    • Starlight forgets to pick up the cake Meh it was okay
    • Silver stream keeps bothering Starlight in her office I disliked it.
    • No mane 6 or spike in this episode I hated it

This was an enjoyable Starlight focus episode featuring Maud, my favorite background pony. It was nice to see Mud Briar again, he can always be depended on for his infallible sense of logic. We're reminded that the virtually expressionless Maud is a talented comedian as she delivers that unexpected search party joke and her reaction to her boyfriend getting turned to stone was amusing in a mildly disturbing kind of way. At least he turned out okay in the end.

The moral was good. There's a time for work and a time for play. Starlight should give her all for the students during school hours but like anycreature, a counselor experiences problems as well and Starlight learned she needs to take care of herself and enjoy hanging out with her friends.

Silverstream asking how to describe showers and towels was a nice throwback to the stairs fascination from the S8 premiere. There's still a lot of stuff hippogriffs need to relearn after spending so much time underwater. It's cool how Silverstream really appreciates these simple things that landlubbers like myself usually take for granted. Stairs are actually more useful than we give them credit for. They're not just means of gradual traversal, they're also much healthier and mentally enriching than standing idly on an escalator. Towels of course are a great way to absorb water to dry off faster. Although I think it would be more convenient if we could just steam clean like robots without needing to get wet. Maybe this could be a viable option for dragons, since their scales are heat resistant.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I finally got the time to watch this so my thoughts.

1) Mudbriar should be careful or Maud might want him to start spending time as a rock on a regular basis. Though her little dry comments expresssing how much she genuinely loves him are sweet I'm sure she's glad she moved to Ponyville adjacent.

2) I really liked Trixie here the annoyed snorts, grumpy expressions and trying to get Starlight to pay attention to her were adorable.

3) Seriously Starlight needs to shoo the students away more. Ocellus was her job, Smolder and Gallus were her job (though that smirk on Smolders face indicates she burnt Gallus's book deliberately) but Silverstream constantly asking her for synonyms about wet really is something she should have been asking her friends about not the guidance counsellor.

4) Triggering a cockatrice's nesting instinct makes them friendly and helpful as opposed to frighteningly dangerous in protecting their young?

5) Oh look glue has returned . . . poor Roseluck.

6) Another holiday has appeared the spring solstice Ponies certainly know how to celebrate life.

7) That poor blue pony was nearly in tears at getting the door to the student counsellor shut in his face but seriously you know someone else is in there why keep trying to get in?

8) It seems when frightened and stressed Sunburst can generate a fairly impressive energy beam.

Now for a few other comments by other's.

On 6/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, ImpctR said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Who is that pony Roseluck? Have we seen her in previous seasons? I like the rose pony, looks like another cute one. And this kind of hairstyle or dyed hair in some fancy different color I like a lot, that's why I like this new pony and Lyra for similar reason.

Roseluck is a background pony and one of a trio who run the flower store we've seen her in quite a few episodes usually fainting in horror at something or as here selling flowers to customers.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:06 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

You have a really long post so to save space I'm just quoting you so you know this part is in response to you.

I agree with you on pretty much all your points just because Starlight was at school that didn't mean she had to deal with a student problem especially with a student who'd spent the entire day taking up her time (and delaying other students with actual problems) to ask about synonyms so she could avoid using watery words when talking to her cousins. Give her a thesaurus or tell her to talk with her friends this is not something she should have been constantly talking to Starlight about. Especially at the end of the school term/semester when the school is getting locked up and she should be heading home for the holidays.

Starlight is technically meant to be supervising the students but she'd told Silverstream to pack up and catch the train home and had confirmed she'd left the school grounds. At that point its entirely on Silverstream for deciding then on the LAST day of term without telling her friends, her school supervisor or her family that she was going to dissapear into a dangerous set of woods to work on a dangerous project alone. Seriously she's lucky she had her deus ex machina for the cockatrices and didn't wind up a statue in some forgotten corner of the woods with no one having any idea where she'd gone and what had happened to her.

I think part of why Starlight is dealing with these issues is because things like Ocellus's identity concerns are still fairly rare so this at least lets her fill her day and she's just let the whole thing spiral out of control till its impacting her personal life as well.

Trixie does put a lot of sugar in her tea but given how she basically attacked that sandwich I think its less I like sugar almost as much as Pinkie Pie and more that she's a stres eater/drinker and right then she was extremely stressed and annoyed at being ignored.

I agree on the blue pony though I love Trixies annoyed snort/growl at him.

I think the antique part is just Sunbursts preference.

I imagine Maud's cavern is the water/crystal/glowy area not the caves nearby.

Starlight probably just forgot Silverstreams throw away comment about a project as it was buried under "What's a good way to describe a shower that doesn't mention water."

Starlight's probably just locked the outer doors for the school rather than every single interior one.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:50 AM, Will Guide said:

@Twilight and Starlight

Technically Terramar didn't called Starlight a bad student counselor. He was worried about his sister and got upset out of worry. And said, "What kind of counselor turns away a student with a problem?" That is not the same as calling someone a bad S.C. That's just natural worry for your sibling who could be in big trouble for all you know. Cut Terramar a break.

Besides, Trixie followed up with a good point. "Starlight had too much on her plate." So both sides have a point and I love moments like that.

The kind who's had the student bugging them all day with minor issues she should be talking to her friends or using a thesaurus for and assumes that now when the school is literally being locked up for the holiday's its more of the same.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, Buck Testa said:

Trixie and Starlight are SUCH an old married couple in this episode. At this point I'm convinced "friend" is a euphemism lol.  

I got a bit of a different vibe myself. For me it was that Trixie considers them a couple while Starlight is acting the role without realizing it. I can just see them at some future point with a bewildered Starlight saying "Anniversary how could I possibly forget about thaat?" blink, blink, blink "Wait, aniversary but that would mean we've been dating for a year now." and then developing that same look she had when the princesses glared at her as she realizes Trixie did think they'd been dating for a year now. In fact here it is . . .

Whoops.thumb.png.05aed820136ccdb000b7bae1940781a8.png

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 4

On 6/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

Overall, this episode is a bit of a strange one. I actually do sympathize with Trixie's annoyance at Starlight's state of distraction and failure to keep her promises. And I basically agree with the final messages of the episode - Sunburst's telling Starlight "You can't be expected to supervise your students every second of every day", and Trixie's point that "always being at work isn't fair to anypony". But I'm not really satisfied with how the episode got there. For one thing, I feel like the search for Silverstream takes up too much of the episode time, while not contributing much to the narrative of the episode.

But also, I think Starlight's being too busy and distracted with her job is a separate issue from Silverstream's going missing, and this episode seems to conflate those two things and not make any distinction between Starlight's job as guidance counselor and her job as an adult supervisor in the absence of the Mane Seven. And I don't consider Starlight to be at fault for the whole situation with Silverstream, so I was frustrated by how Starlight was fretting and blaming herself; instead, I wish Starlight had made a better defense for herself.

I agree 100% with this! :) 

When is this picnic with Starlight and Trixie taking place at the beginning of the episode? Is it on a weekday, but after school has let out for the day? Is it on a weekend? I'm just curious about what day/time Starlight would agree to hang out with Trixie, on the assumption that she wouldn't be too busy, but yet there are multiple students in quick succession that want to talk to Starlight. Also, is this picnic taking place after the Mane Seven have already left to celebrate the spring solstice in Canterlot?

I think Starlight said that it was the last day of school, before Spring Break. Still, one of my biggest problems with this episode (and this scene in particular) is that Starlight wore that "alarm ring," to begin with. I don't understand why she thought that planning an outing with your friend while keeping your office open would be a good idea. Either it shows that Starlight has poor planning skills, or that she was given an obligation that wasn't reasonable. 

So closing the door to the heavily degraded Castle of the Two Sisters stops the cockatrices, even as there clearly aren't complete walls or a roof? Would the cockatrices not just fly over or around?  

Glad we're not the only ones who noticed that! ^_^ 

• Brohoof 3

On 6/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, FirePuppy said:

Hide contents

To me, this episode was ALL WRONG! Starlight's friends all shouldn't have been the ones to support her, and not only that, they don't even have jobs in the School of Friendship, for what I know. >:-P

It wasent a school episode  thou  it was more like an adventure episode. Meaning the mane 6 didn’t need to be in it.  

On 6/8/2019 at 8:11 PM, Brainstorm said:

I'm glad Terramar made another appearance in S9, maybe he'll show again.

Spoiler

He does he showed up in the next episode the last crusade  to. And had lines as well.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:58 PM, titanhades said:

Between this episode and Frenemies, it becomes very apparent that Starlight is going to have a very big role in the second half of the season. The biggest, most important and longest story arc does revolve around her after all.

Lets hope so.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:39 PM, WaterPulse said:

I think this was a nice Starlight episode. Though I think Maud likes rocks a bit too much.

@WaterPulse Good thing Maud didint hear you say that. 

;)

I don't think that I've ever personally related to an episode. Not having defined working hours is a pain, particularly if you're in a relationship.

Other than that, Trixie made this episode for me, particularly in the scene when Terramar is talking about Silverstream and she's in the background, eating whatever those were. Her reactions make a lot of the humor in the first half.

Starlight does great in this episode too. It got me invested in her plight and it also did a good job with Silverstream.

Then...
Maude: "We can still have a party. A search party."
That moment when a joke is so bad it goes around and becomes good. And because that wasn't enough...
Trixie: "I have a lot of experience telling ponies that I have experience with the dangerous creatures of Everfree Forest."
Then her tracking skills...
I just loved the humor in this episode. Almost evey line of dialogue out of them after they reunite is funny. To the point of Maude talking about Mud Briar turned to stone. Man, that hurt. This episode made me like 'Maude humor'.

The shipping intensifies... Looking forward to next episode after this one.

• Brohoof 3

On 6/3/2019 at 1:51 PM, DonMaguz said:
  Hide contents

Best episode of S9 so far, the only one to get a 10/10 during the first half.

I rated it more like 1000/1000

This episode makes another appearance of both Starlight Glimmer and Trixie once again, that's good! :) Starlight Glimmer had a hard time in this episode when she have a ring on her hoof that anytime glows for a call in the office. Silverstream, would you be kind not to knock on the door several times and give her a hard time to do anything for you? Cockatraces are really scary when encountered, as I believe that Fluttershy is the only pony to handle all animals especially those creatures. Silverstream has a cockatrace named Edith, she tamed her first. Hope everything is balanced and clean at the conclusion, I will say this episode is great with appearances of Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, Sunburst, and Maud Pie! :D

• Brohoof 1

I found this episode really interesting, since neither of them were really in the right or wrong. Trixie had a valid reason for being upset, seeing as her friend wasn’t keeping promises or making time for her, but she also purposely tried to make her feel ashamed and generally handled it in a somewhat childish way, especially when she repeatedly closed the door on a student who was clearly upset. Starlight was obviously not meaning to hurt anyone and was overwhelmed, not knowing how to manage her time, constantly being consumed by work, but that doesn’t change the fact that she did hurt Trixie, not go through with her responsibilities/promises, and generally go about everything in the wrong way. I liked the lesson of this episode. I also really liked how Mudbriar had some growth in this episode. When he was made aware that he said something insensitive, he immediately made an effort to correct it. Plus, Maud and Mudbriar are such a cute couple

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another enjoyable episode. I liked the majority of it, save for when everyone was searching for Silverstream in the Everfree Forest, via Trixie's tracking skills - I felt that dragged on for a bit too long. I thought that the plethora of returning characters would knock the episode down a bit, but it actually worked out in it's favour.  The jokes and humour used were quite an enjoyable aspect, in addition to the fact that the moral is relatable, though somewhat difficult to judge. I feel that it adds depth to the plot and just makes it more interesting as a whole. There isn't much I can say aside from that, so I'll leave it there.

• 2 months later...

I only have one serious gripe with this episode. If Trixie wants her not to forget what she's promised to do, wouldn't it be VERY hypocritical of her to seemingly get jealous about her f***ing job?

Other than that, I really enjoyed the several great one-off gags (especially Roseluck gluing the flowers back together), the premise as a whole, and the numerous absolutely priceless facial expressions. I also liked how both were sort of right and wrong (although Trixie was much more wrong than Starlight was, considering what lengths she takes it to). Also, I would get really mad about Mudbriar being a total $#!+head, but he gets what's coming to him more than once, so that works. Even Maud gets upset with him... I also really liked how Silverstream's disappearance was handled in general, though it did make for a sort of boring and tedious middle section, the payoff is definitely there. 

I'm giving this one a 9.5/10. It is probably the best episode of the season. A return to form for this season, and a good one at that. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

great faces and i love the sound effects, Trixie making a angry dog sound is funny as fuck, and i was actually surprised by how this episode got in the last scenes, intense and more of that classic mlp adventure style, i loved it, really good episode, starts off pretty simple but get out of nowhere real good!

also they somehow made Mudbriar a funny and well just a nice character, i hated him in season 8, he had somehow good moments here.

Edited by GloryForShame