Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Rock and Roll or Heavy Metal? Which one do you think is the best action movie music?

heavens-champion

No poll? For shame.

Heavy metal for sure, as the speed and energy can lend themselves to epic moments. Heck, many a metal song is an action movie in of itself. 

Aces High by Iron Maiden. Painkiller by Judas Priest. Holy Wars by Megadeth. Heck, it's a crime that the power metal genre hasn't been tapped for fantasy action movies. 

It would really depend on the movie to be fair. I think both of them could work though.

19 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

It would really depend on the movie to be fair. I think both of them could work though.

And it depends on a lot on the context. While I do like heavy metal and hard rock, there are times that playing it can feel out of place, even in an action movie. Sometimes a bit of classical or smooth jazz would fit the scene if the protagonist is a skilled but well-refined assassin. Or some EDM if a person is shooting some mafia goons at a nightclub. 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:52 AM, Anneal said:

And it depends on a lot on the context. While I do like heavy metal and hard rock, there are times that playing it can feel out of place, even in an action movie. Sometimes a bit of classical or smooth jazz would fit the scene if the protagonist is a skilled but well-refined assassin. Or some EDM if a person is shooting some mafia goons at a nightclub. 

True. Context is important. Rock and roll would be out of place in a medieval action movie, wouldn't it?

14 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

True. Context is important. Rock and roll would be out of place in a medieval action movie, wouldn't it?

Somepony has never watched A Knight's Tale.

(edited)

Both depending on how intense or the genre.  But I’m the guy who likes music that plays in a calmer note when there’s a action or a horror scene. I like the contradiction to it. Like this for example.

Spoiler

But it’s has to be done right.

Edited by TBD

Rock. There is no metal song more badass than hearing gimmie shelter or heard it through the grapevine playing over literally anything 

• 1 year later...

Like everyone is saying, depends on the movie and the context/tone of said movie.

For me, it's easier to say which I prefer on a personal level.
Rock and Roll is a much wider umbrella genre than heavy metal and has many different styles. For that reason, I tend to prefer it. Even Metal falls under the banner of Rock.
I don't hate metal at all. In fact, in my later teen years, I went through a big heavy metal phase. (Metallica was my jam!) But after a while, you begin to realize that sometimes metal can be too heavy. Sometimes you just want something different. Other genres of music can be good too, depending on what you're in the mood for. Maybe saying this voids my metalhead card, but I come from a family that enjoys many genres, and I'm the same. I just can't tie myself down to one specific kind of music. :twi: I still have an appreciation for the genre, though. Occasionally, I still get into a heavy metal mood, just not as often as I use to.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think any of them are the best for action movies. The best movie music is "movie music". Take the intro to The Rock, by Hans Zimmer:

It is the perfect example of movie music. You have orchestra, electric guitars, everything!

• 11 months later...

Not gonna lie I first read the title and I thought this was discussing Heavy Metal the animated action movie vs something else. I was about to be shocked there was a topic about that movie on these forums. Strange movie with a great soundtrack

That being said I think heavy metal is best action movie music.

• Brohoof 1