Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Spongebob prequel, "Camp Koral".

CastletonSnob

https://deadline.com/2019/06/spongebob-squarepants-cg-animated-prequel-series-kamp-koral-greenlighted-nickelodeon-1202626441/

Nickelodeon has given a 13-episode series order to Kamp Koral(working title), a spinoff of the network’s signature series SpongeBob SquarePants.While the mothership is a classic 2D cartoon, the offshoot will be a CG-animated series, which serves as a prequel to SpongeBob. It introduces 10-year-old SpongeBob SquarePants during his summer at sleepaway camp.

Are you ready, kids? ....For Nickelodeon to be even more over saturated with Spongebob?

Seriously, who was asking for this?

I like to withhold my judgement on this sort of thing until I actually get a look at it. I don't have great expectations but if we're looking at sponge out of water levels of quality then I can't imagine it'd be too bad.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, Camp Koral as a concept sounds really weird especially with Sandy in it, given he literally meets her for the first time in the show's second episode

• Brohoof 3

This sounds like nothing more than a cash grab to me. A cash grab that will definitely not be of any significant quality whatsoever. I mean from what I know alone I already see some extreme levels of discontinuity with the original series. Personally, I have absolutely no interest in it. :dry:

When this and Casagrandes premiere, Nickelodeon will officially be The Spongebob and Loud House Channel.

I shouldn't be surprised. Nickelodeon milked Rugrats to death, they're milking Spongebob to death, and it looks like they're gonna milk Loud House to death. 

(edited)

I honestly have no idea what legitimate purpose a 'SpongeBob Babies'-style show would serve. Isn't one of the current show's hallmarks that SpongeBob is basically a naïve and somewhat childish adult/teenager (despite the first movie referring to him as a 'kid' regardless of being employed implicitly full-time)? What is even the point of recontextualizing his core personality into a legitimate child if there would be minimal change between the two? When combined with the loss of the original show's 2D animation (one of its most unique and expressive qualities), this just comes off as a soulless cash-in (kind of channeling Mr. Krabs somehow, aren't they?). 

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies

So former showrunner Paul Tibbitt isn’t happy with this news.

I was already a bit iffy on this idea, but I was still going to give it a chance. I’m not normally one to say stuff like this right off the bat, but I’m not sure I want to support it now.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Yeah, I'm not really feeling this very much.   For one, I don't really think Spongebob is a show that would lend itself very well to spin-offs in the first place.  I also don't really see what this has to offer that the original show doesn't.  If there absolutely had to be a Spongebob spin-off, I would have them rather made a cartoon about the adventures of younger Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.  At least then it could be an action comedy and offer something you couldn't get from watching the main show instead.

Edited by cmarston1

This is one of those ideas that results in mixed feelings due to the nature behind the concept. My opinion? I'm remaining neutral until more information becomes available as I'd rather not get caught up in any potential arguments and the like.

• Brohoof 1

It looks like Spongebob is going down the same road as Rugrats; getting shitty spin-offs nobody wanted (All Grown Up and Pre-School Daze) so Nickelodeon can continue to beat the dead horse. 

(edited)

Stephen Hillensburg didn’t want SpongeBobs to have a spin-off and he certainly didn’t want SpongeBobs to be a little kid. And yet Nickelodeon is disrespecting him but the worst part is that There doing this spinoff right after  he died which shows that nickelodeon dosent care about Stephen at all. They are so greedy Stephen deserves so much more than what he got. Without him They would be bankrupted. And yet they don’t care that he died. Nickelodeon should be really ashamed of themselves. I’ve honestly lost all respect for Nickelodeon now.  I officially now see them as a very greedy  rude disrespectful  company that only cares about money.

Edited by Twilight and Starlight
  • Brohoof 1

More Spongebob? Alright, I guess. It's their IP so they can really do whatever they want with it. Spongebob stopped being good after the first movie came out.

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

I thought Season 8 of SpongeBob was pretty good, TBH.

To be fair, I've stopped watching Spongebob around 2010, so I'm probably highly biased.

• Brohoof 1

On 6/4/2019 at 1:37 PM, VG_Addict said:

https://deadline.com/2019/06/spongebob-squarepants-cg-animated-prequel-series-kamp-koral-greenlighted-nickelodeon-1202626441/

Are you ready, kids? ....For Nickelodeon to be even more over saturated with Spongebob?

Seriously, who was asking for this?

Absolutely no one is asking for more Spongebob. It's time that Nickelodeon let the show go, because the longer it goes the worse it will get. That includes whatever spinoff series that they come up with.

This series is supposed to tie into the third SpongeBob movie, which will also be a prequel. If the movie is any good, then maybe I'll take a look at the show. But then again, I read Paul Tibbit's comments and I see where he's coming from.

Also... while I didn't mind the CG animation in the real world parts of the second SpongeBob movie, I'm not really looking forward to an entire SpongeBob TV series with that kind of animation.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it's time to just end the show already instead of just dragging on for too long. Especially with Hillenburg's passing, the show itself needs to just end altogether and move on, and a prequel, in all fairness, just doesn't do wonders. In fact, it just completely contradicts from past seasons (namely the very first season), and it creates a lot of continuity errors. I loved Sponge Out Of Water movie, but the prequel movie... I have seriously mixed feelings about this, especially with the whole continuity error I've mentioned. But in all seriousness though, it's time for Nickelodeon for a serious reality check and realize that they've been dragging this show for nearly 20 years and it has tanked badly since Season 4.

I don’t see this series doing well. I will be sure to check it out when it starts but it seems like such a stupid idea. Also, I don’t like the fact that the show will be animated with CGI. The original series has always been in 2D.

i can see why people would dislike this spinoff for being a slap in the face to hillenberg, but disliking because it seems like a cash grab and that nick is just "milking" spongebob is pretty stupid.

it seems like the people that complain about the oversaturation of spongebob forget that kids -- the target audience of the show -- don't care about oversaturation. nor do they want an expertly crafted kid's show. they just want a funny and entertaining show. as an adult you can critique the show all you want but at the end of the day little billy doesn't care, he just wants a sponge and a bunch of fish to make him laugh. if camp koral can make him laugh, then it's going to be a successful show. 

it just seems strange to me that adults who have grown out of spongebob are saying nick should just end spongebob altogether. little billy -- the target audience of the show -- wouldn't want spongebob to end right now. 

On 6/29/2019 at 3:59 PM, mini said:

i can see why people would dislike this spinoff for being a slap in the face to hillenberg, but disliking because it seems like a cash grab and that nick is just "milking" spongebob is pretty stupid.

it seems like the people that complain about the oversaturation of spongebob forget that kids -- the target audience of the show -- don't care about oversaturation. nor do they want an expertly crafted kid's show. they just want a funny and entertaining show. as an adult you can critique the show all you want but at the end of the day little billy doesn't care, he just wants a sponge and a bunch of fish to make him laugh. if camp koral can make him laugh, then it's going to be a successful show. 

it just seems strange to me that adults who have grown out of spongebob are saying nick should just end spongebob altogether. little billy -- the target audience of the show -- wouldn't want spongebob to end right now. 

The overall quality of the show has seriously degraded since Season 4, and while Season 10 & 11 might've rebounded themselves back, the damage was already done yet Nickelodeon refuses to admit it. There are couple episodes that weren't remotely close to funny, even for kids, like One Coarse Meal, which involved Mr. Krabs driving Plankton to suicide. And suicide is nowhere considered to be a comedy and it's just flat-out degrading. Even Plankton himself mentioned that he was waiting to get run over by a bus. Another episode is Demolition Doofus, which involved SpongeBob making fun of Mrs. Puff by calling her "Mrs. Pop" because her air sac was ruptured. Why would there be an episode involving making fun of disabilities be considered a learning lesson for kids? If kids were to make fun of people who are disabled, then they'll become hated by people around them, and their parents who support this end up on the receiving end as well by becoming even more hated by society.

Then you have Stuck in the Wringer, which is by far quite degrading because of Bikini Bottomites telling SpongeBob off because Patrick (who used to be dimwitted and gullible, but also very likeable, now ends up being stupid beyond belief and changed his overall nature for the worst) did more harm than good to his own best friend, and it's just appalling. Would kids be okay by leaving their closest friends to suffer and just tell them off? Absolutely not.

And don't get me started on Face Freeze; yes, it would've been considered comedy, but it's just far too disturbing to be considered as such. And let's not forget there were also several episodes that were recycled from past seasons too. In the end, all good things have to come to an end. Even kids will have to understand that there are better kids show out there, and they need to realize that SpongeBob should finally move on to greener pastures instead of just prolonging the inevitable.

32 minutes ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

The overall quality of the show has seriously degraded since Season 4, and while Season 10 & 11 might've rebounded themselves back, the damage was already done yet Nickelodeon refuses to admit it. There are couple episodes that weren't remotely close to funny, even for kids, like One Coarse Meal, which involved Mr. Krabs driving Plankton to suicide. And suicide is nowhere considered to be a comedy and it's just flat-out degrading. Even Plankton himself mentioned that he was waiting to get run over by a bus. Another episode is Demolition Doofus, which involved SpongeBob making fun of Mrs. Puff by calling her "Mrs. Pop" because her air sac was ruptured. Why would there be an episode involving making fun of disabilities be considered a learning lesson for kids? If kids were to make fun of people who are disabled, then they'll become hated by people around them, and their parents who support this end up on the receiving end as well by becoming even more hated by society.

Then you have Stuck in the Wringer, which is by far quite degrading because of Bikini Bottomites telling SpongeBob off because Patrick (who used to be dimwitted and gullible, but also very likeable, now ends up being stupid beyond belief and changed his overall nature for the worst) did more harm than good to his own best friend, and it's just appalling. Would kids be okay by leaving their closest friends to suffer and just tell them off? Absolutely not.

And don't get me started on Face Freeze; yes, it would've been considered comedy, but it's just far too disturbing to be considered as such. And let's not forget there were also several episodes that were recycled from past seasons too. In the end, all good things have to come to an end. Even kids will have to understand that there are better kids show out there, and they need to realize that SpongeBob should finally move on to greener pastures instead of just prolonging the inevitable.

I was still a kid when One Coarse Meal and Stuck in the Wringer first aired. While I’ll admit those episodes weren’t favorites of mine even then, I still liked the show as a whole and was still looking forward to new episodes, and even with those episodes, I didn’t really think of the (perfectly valid) issues you brought up at the time. I don’t feel the same way about those seasons now as I did then, but I still liked the show as a whole and was looking forward to new episodes. I’m sure there were people online saying that the show should end, but I did not feel that way at the time and probably wouldn’t have liked it if the show did end. Those people online at the time were not in the target audience and it’s been years since I’ve been myself, but when I was, I still liked SpongeBob, and today’s kids still like SpongeBob, regardless of what we think.