Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general The "From Software" game design philosophy

Philosoft

The "From Software" game design, and philosophy ...... Is it good/fun?  

3 users have voted

1. 1. The "From Software" game design, and philosophy ...... Is it good/fun? / Remember we are talking about The whole collection in general of From Software's games main idea and design, not just one game.

• Everything is perfect! don't ever change "From Software"
    • barely makes mistakes in game design/philosophy "Can always be shined a little better"
    • I really like it/love it ...... but needs to be seriously fixed in some areas
    • I don't like it, but respect its ideas and game design
    • I hate it, it's seriously flawed in its game design philosophy
    • Whats a "From Software"?
  2. 2. Did you think of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice in your argument/opinion. Or decide to exclude it because of a personal argument (Please Specify) "Its a black sheep in the family of games "From Software makes, so I made a way out for people that dont want to compare it to the other games."

• yes
    • no

I can only really comment in respect to dark souls 1-3, but despite some mistakes made in each game, they are some of the best that I've played especially in regards to level design and RPG mechanics

Whilst I don't generally play their games all that often, I do respect them for making games that are extremely challenging but fair. The games don't break their own rules to force you into certain situations, and they have a unified aesthetic that makes each game feel like an entirely holistic world. Their design ability is almost second to none and some of the best in genre.

I agree with the From Software game design philosophy for the most part. Whether you like it or not, part of creating a good game is creating a good challenge. What fun is there to playing a game that is never going to challenge you? The only thing I don't like about the challenge of the Souls games from the two I've played is the constant autosaving that can really screw you over, forcing you to start everything over on a fresh game file if you realize later there was something in your run you did wrong or missed out on for good. Other than that, we need more difficult games like theirs. 

14 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I agree with the From Software game design philosophy for the most part. Whether you like it or not, part of creating a good game is creating a good challenge. What fun is there to playing a game that is never going to challenge you? The only thing I don't like about the challenge of the Souls games from the two I've played is the constant autosaving that can really screw you over, forcing you to start everything over on a fresh game file if you realize later there was something in your run you did wrong or missed out on for good. Other than that, we need more difficult games like theirs. 

There is a lot of very difficult games like theres, just a lot of them is in different genres.
Example, a really REALLY hard stealth game I can point out is "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun"
Meat boy is a pretty hard platformer
DOOM 2016 on the hardest difficulty is a challenge to get through
there is a lot of hard games, just need to look around more.
Many "Platinum Games" on the hardest difficulty like DMC games, Beyneta, ect are pretty hard .... And honestly like PG game design over From Software. From Software has some major flaws when looked under the microscope.  
That's why I don't like it, but I dont think its flawed enough for the "Hate it" vote for me. But I do have some serious problems with the games, especially in rules of engagement and the consistency of rules in combat.