Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming New Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Trailer

Venomous

Here is a brand new trailer for the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games! 

The graphics look incredible. This is a step up from Sun & Moon. The new Pokémon look great. Wooloo is adorable and Corviknight looks badass. I think I am aiming toward Shield, as I like Zamazenta better than Zacian.

Discuss!

• Brohoof 5

I'm impressed with the "Wild Area". It is more open than anything before in Pokemon mainline, it has a controllable camera, and the Pokemon roaming around in view is a neat touch. The visible Pokemon in the wild reminds me of Dragon Quest XI's system, which I thought could work well with Pokemon, and apparently it does. The "Wild Area" is something that really gives Sword/Shield that kick to feel more like a modern title for the first time. I still wish we could have controllable camera in all areas of the game, though.

Otherwise, I don't really care for the giant Pokemon feature. To me it just looks cheesy. However, I rarely actually care about these gimmicks at all. I never got too attached to Mega Evolutions (but they were much better than this) and Z Moves, so this doesn't effect my opinion of the game one way or another.

It's nice to see a female professor! I've been informed many times that Generation V had one as well, but I forgot. A bit odd considering Gen V are my favorite games. >.< I haven't played them since like 2012, so there is that.

The wolf legendaries looked weird to me at first. In fact, the shield one with its clearly Japanese name really gave off a Japanese robot vibe which I really don't care for at all. But in the end, I see that's probably not what they were going for, and I think that these legendaries might be among the better legendaries in all of Pokemon. I guess it helps that I like wolves. But I do think that they are legitimately appealing.

So, yeah, Sword/Shield look quite a bit better than they did in their initial showing. The "Wild Area" shows a lot of progression.

• Brohoof 2

Some of the new concepts are already being questioned due to how gimmicky they are, and I do agree with those assessments based on what I saw in the trailers as well as what was explained to us afterwards. As such, I'm not entirely sold on these ideas but maybe I'll change my mind as more information comes along. As far as new Pokémon are concerned, you can tell that it's getting more difficult coming up with new ones seeing as some of the new ones are rehashes of what we've seen in the past. Others though are intriguing based on a second glance and onwards so I'll give this aspect a pass. Overall, what we were shown are positive signs but more will be needed later on.

• Brohoof 1

Sawk is back, that's all I need to know.

P.S., Wooloo is literally the most adorable thing ever.

• Brohoof 4

I can't believe they've already spoiled that Gyarados is the final boss. :maud: Getting serious, my only complaint is that the legendary Pokemon being obvious palette swaps of each other is kind of lame. Everything else looks great. I hope they can work something about Mega Evolution into the new feature with giant Pokemon. Whatever happens, I'm glad to finally have my final push to pick up a Nintendo Switch towards the end of this year. :fluttershy:

I'm really hyped by this new Pokemon game! Really, look at this Wooloo! :yay:

Ok, ok, that's not all. I like the wide open fields with lots of Pokemon strolling, the new mecanics with dynamax don't bother me as I see it more like some sort of Smash Ball or Dual Strike from the Advance Wars series. Perhaps it will be a bit powerful, but hopefully not completely destructive, with enough time or occurency constraints. And the concept of stadiums in cities is really nice.  

I could be wrong with the new mecanics though. I didn't play the 3DS games with Mega-evolutions and Z-Moves.  

I hope our little companion of the day will be able to walk by our side, like they did in the Let's go games. On the other hand, I also hope that true battles against wild Pokemon will make a return. We've seen the raid battles with Dynamax, it's a good sign maybe.

Oh, andI think I saw Wooloo rolling adorably during the video... what? This little fluffy sheep is powerful too! :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

So it was apparently revealed in TreeHouse that the game will feature ONLY Pokemon from the Galar regional dex. That means... No Pokemon outside of it are present in the game or can be transferred to it.

And I thought that the lack of National Dex in Gen VII was bad. This is the worst. They just took my hype for this game and stomped on it. I'm not looking forward to my favorite Pokemon not even being available in the game at all, and I'm not looking forward to GF skewing the only past Pokemon they make available to favor Gen I Pokemon which are already way too much in our face.

WHY GF? You even had me hyped.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Envy said:

So it was apparently revealed in TreeHouse that the game will feature ONLY Pokemon from the Galar regional dex. That means... No Pokemon outside of it are present in the game or can be transferred to it.

And I thought that the lack of National Dex in Gen VII was bad. This is the worst. They just took my hype for this game and stomped on it. I'm not looking forward to my favorite Pokemon not even being available in the game at all, and I'm not looking forward to GF skewing the only past Pokemon they make available to favor Gen I Pokemon which are already way too much in our face.

Yeah, gonna have to agree with this unfortunately. I'm excited to see a lot of my favourites but I really feel for others who also want to see their favourites as well. I'm very concerned with how players will transfer old Pokemon that have been through different games now that there is this new change coming. Like, can you put them in Pokemon Home but not use them in Sword/Shield? Or can you not take them to Home altogether?

Either way, way to pull people's legs Game Freak. You promise a lot, then you do this.

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Envy said:

Now hold on a minute. When they've said the game will feature only Pokemon from the Galar regional dex, it could mean it will only transfer certain Pokemon until you've completed the game AND obtained the National Dex. So it's like they're leaving you to experience the adventure in the Galar region until you've proven your worth to take on the big leagues if it happens.

I know you're one of the competitive Pokemon Trainers who wants to use favorites from previous games and I respect that, but don't let one single thing like that stop you. After all, updates can happen now and again.   

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

Now hold on a minute. When they've said the game will feature only Pokemon from the Galar regional dex, it could mean it will only transfer certain Pokemon until you've completed the game AND obtained the National Dex. So it's like they're leaving you to experience the adventure in the Galar region until you've proven your worth to take on the big leagues if it happens.

Not quite. I'm pretty sure it's been stated that they can't be transferred into the games altogether. No data exists for them, period. If it wasn't until post-game I wouldn't even be bothered, but it's been stated that isn't the case.

12 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

I know you're one of the competitive Pokemon Trainers who wants to use favorites from previous games and I respect that, but don't let one single thing like that stop you. After all, updates can happen now and again.   

I'm not competitive. I just like being able to catch and use my favorite Pokemon in each game. It's one of those neat things that you get from a long-running series... But now they're taking that away. And they're going to select which old Pokemon appear, which already seems skewed to Gen I Pokemon. I'm so tired of Gen I Pokemon being shoved in my face.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Envy said:

I'm not competitive. I just like being able to catch and use my favorite Pokemon in each game. It's one of those neat things that you get from a long-running series... But now they're taking that away. And they're going to select which old Pokemon appear, which already seems skewed to Gen I Pokemon. I'm so tired of Gen I Pokemon being shoved in my face.

Well, that's probably the answer to all the Genwunners out there. Despite that, we'll see what happens when the games are released.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

Well, that's probably the answer to all the Genwunners out there. Despite that, we'll see what happens when the games are released.

They pandered to the Genwunners in Pokemon X/Y. In Pokemon GO. In Pokemon Sun/Moon. In Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. In other media and general merchandise. In Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee. They can drop it now.

As someone who has played since Generation I, I don't get anything out of seeing Gen I Pokemon anymore. It used to be special, it used to bring me nostalgia... But now that nostalgia is gone and has been replaced with annoyance.

To be fair, Generation 1 had a lot of moments on what made it memorable even to this day while we move on to the next. (Pikachu, the horn!) That's why we continue to see Kanto Pokemon so they can keep the nostalgic spirit of the video-game series alive as well. Sometimes nostalgia sells well to others.

To me, I don't mind seeing familiar faces again as they mix into the old and new trend but like I said, I respect your opinion on this. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Photon Jet said:

To be fair, Generation 1 had a lot of moments on what made it memorable even to this day while we move on to the next. (Pikachu, the horn!) That's why we continue to see Kanto Pokemon so they can keep the nostalgic spirit of the video-game series alive as well. Sometimes nostalgia sells well to others.

To me, I don't mind seeing familiar faces again as they mix into the old and new trend but like I said, I respect your opinion on this. 

I'm not saying that Generation 1 Pokemon shouldn't be present. I just don't think they should be very prominent. They shouldn't outnumber the rest of the old Pokemon present in each game.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Envy said:

I'm not saying that Generation 1 Pokemon shouldn't be present. I just don't think they should be very prominent. They shouldn't outnumber the rest of the old Pokemon present in each game.

Of course. They have to keep the old-school stuff and the new stuff in balance so one side doesn't overpower the other. It's the Yin & Yang effect. 

• Brohoof 1