Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Interest Check: Something involving Changelings?

Lektra Bolt

We don't. I'd like to do something we would all enjoy, together

I just know I'd like to get Chrissy involved. She is an anti villain, but can also be played as more of an compassionate gray character 

All right, so is there anything you'd like to do? Likewise, is there anything anyone else here would like to do? Once we have something to start on, we can start refining if we need to to hammer it into something everyone would be comfortable with.

Obviously, this is also an invitation for everyone to say if there's anything they don't like about an idea. There's no need to be shy or intimidated about it either.

(edited)

I'd like to do an action adventure, personally. Characters travel the world, looking for something maybe? That's where I'm stuck on. We need a reason to travel around, and why anyone would even follow Chrysalis but also not Chrysalis. She has no authority anymore, even if she has most of the memories

That's my idea anyway. What's yours, guys?

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Califorum said:

I would be willing to play a villain character, here. Whether it be canon, or my Alicorn OC of Cosmodian.

Awesome, great to have you! Please brainstorm with us. Sorry for being disorganized, brainstorming is usually like this :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Awesome, great to have you! Please brainstorm with us. Sorry for being disorganized, brainstorming is usually like this :laugh:

Who would you prefer me to play?

Just now, Califorum said:

Who would you prefer me to play?

I try to not tell people what to do, especially about characters. That will be your call to make when we have something decent and concrete here

We could do a quest about a group of changelings trying to learn the history of their species and culture, reconnect with their roots after the upheavels brought on by Chryssi and Thorax.

• Brohoof 1

58 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

We could do a quest about a group of changelings trying to learn the history of their species and culture, reconnect with their roots after the upheavels brought on by Chryssi and Thorax.

That's actually the best idea I've seen in this thread!

The problem is there is not a lot of lore except just how the species was created (comics), so much of it will have to be made up.

How would we do this?

Are these changelings going to be looking for old friends from before Chrysalis was running the hive? What if she was running it for millenia? She might be immortal, but I don't believe the average changeling is

Artifacts from the species maybe? These would have to be made up

What kind of roots would there be to reconnect with?

2 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

That's actually the best idea I've seen in this thread!

The problem is there is not a lot of lore except just how the species was created (comics), so much of it will have to be made up.

How would we do this?

Are these changelings going to be looking for old friends from before Chrysalis was running the hive? What if she was running it for millenia? She might be immortal, but I don't believe the average changeling is

Artifacts from the species maybe? These would have to be made up

What kind of roots would there be to reconnect with?

I imagine it would be a Jackie Chan adventures style search across the world for artifacts and information on who and what changelings were pre-chrysalis.

And making up the lore would be part of the fun.

Just now, Denim&Venom said:

I imagine it would be a Jackie Chan adventures style search across the world for artifacts and information on who and what changelings were pre-chrysalis.

And making up the lore would be part of the fun.

Genius! OK run me through how that would work? I could totally do Jackie Chan Adventures style

We have competing groups looking for these? Books, artifacts? Maybe have random NPC characters join up?

I hesitate to make players choose a faction, like saying leftover black changelings are always bad and colorful ones are always good

Maybe I'm not getting this right? I mean I bought up the idea, but hey if you have a whole RP thought up already I wouldn't mind not being the GM

1 minute ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Genius! OK run me through how that would work? I could totally do Jackie Chan Adventures style

We have competing groups looking for these? Books, artifacts? Maybe have random NPC characters join up?

I hesitate to make players choose a faction, like saying leftover black changelings are always bad and colorful ones are always good

Maybe I'm not getting this right? I mean I bought up the idea, but hey if you have a whole RP thought up already I wouldn't mind not being the GM

I'm not that planned out. 

I imagine some threats would be local, some would be from competing groups. Like one being a remnant of Chryssi's regime while another would be thorax and the ponies fearing what our group is trying to do.

And it's up to the player if they want a faction or not. The main focus would be a group of changelings on a quest for knowledge and self-discovery, with different groups occasionally trying to stop them for different reasons.

12 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I'm not that planned out. 

I imagine some threats would be local, some would be from competing groups. Like one being a remnant of Chryssi's regime while another would be thorax and the ponies fearing what our group is trying to do.

And it's up to the player if they want a faction or not. The main focus would be a group of changelings on a quest for knowledge and self-discovery, with different groups occasionally trying to stop them for different reasons.

Alrighty, so everyone would be a GM of sorts

What kind of groups are we talking about here? Would the manes be in this as antagonists, confused about the goal since we also have black changelings who are traditionally believed to be bad?

Just trying to wrap my head around this so I don't end up doing it wrong 

7 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Alrighty, so everyone would be a GM of sorts

What kind of groups are we talking about here? Would the manes be in this as antagonists, confused about the goal since we also have black changelings who are traditionally believed to be bad?

Just trying to wrap my head around this so I don't end up doing it wrong 

Basically the manes would be antagonists since every changeling that doesn't totally agree with Thorax must be a bad guy and Thorax fears what we'd discover, that it could be worse than Chryssi's rule. The others just want power and to either use changeling history to suit their narritive or destroy it to craft their own. 

Basically it's two sides who fear change and want things their way, while we as changelings want to go ours. 

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Basically the manes would be antagonists since every changeling that doesn't totally agree with Thorax must be a bad guy and Thorax fears what we'd discover, that it could be worse than Chryssi's rule. The others just want power and to either use changeling history to suit their narritive or destroy it to craft their own. 

Basically it's two sides who fear change and want things their way, while we as changelings want to go ours. 

Well we probably won't be using show Chrysalis here unless people want to, and the story for Chrissy goes that she's stayed off the radar during show events cause you know not wanting to break canon with an OC clone

I mean they are the Mane 6. How long before we convince them otherwise? Same for Thorax

Thinking longterm here

🤔

Edited by Lektra Bolt

1 minute ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Well we probably won't be using show Chrysalis here unless people want to, and the story for Chrissy goes that she's stayed off the radar during show events cause you know not wanting to break canon with an OC clone

I mean they are the Mane 6. How long before we convince them otherwise? Same for Thorax

🤔

It would be a while. They would be more willing to comprise than Throax, as he sees no good coming from the past. The changelings have reinvented themselves and it's time for them to all finally move on as a species, not regress back to the way things were. Exactly how long would depend on how long the story goes. It wouldn't be something to worry over for a while. It also wouldn't be the manes we'd be dealing with directly. More Twi and her princess might. 

7 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

It would be a while. They would be more willing to comprise than Throax, as he sees no good coming from the past. The changelings have reinvented themselves and it's time for them to all finally move on as a species, not regress back to the way things were. Exactly how long would depend on how long the story goes. It wouldn't be something to worry over for a while. It also wouldn't be the manes we'd be dealing with directly. More Twi and her princess might. 

Fighting the manes as antagonistic characters while trying to talk to them

🤔

I can't really do each of them too well, and I'm not as good as Alicorn Twi as some people. I'm better at Unicorn version which doesn't help here. We'd have to find someone good at all the manes and basically any of the good but antagonistic characters in general

2 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Fighting the manes as antagonistic characters while trying to talk to them

🤔

I can't really do each of them too well, and I'm not as good as Alicorn Twi as some people. I'm better at Unicorn version which doesn't help here. We'd have to find someone good at all the manes and basically any of the good but antagonistic characters in general

Probably be best to see who we have to work with i n the end and get people to play with characters they're comfortable with and craft a story around that, rather than make a story and try to find people to fill it. 

21 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Probably be best to see who we have to work with i n the end and get people to play with characters they're comfortable with and craft a story around that, rather than make a story and try to find people to fill it. 

Yes definitely, I don't want to lock people into characters or having someone inexperienced play it as a short scene NPC. But this is a good idea to start off so far

We definitely have interest, but I'd like to do this in such a way that it ends up a fun experience for everyone who's interested and players can just hop in

Let's just say I'd like to do this right so I'm taking it to getting help rather than posting an unfinished idea

6 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Yes definitely, I don't want to lock people into characters or having someone inexperienced play it as a short scene NPC. But this is a good idea to start off so far

We definitely have interest, but I'd like to do this in such a way that it ends up a fun experience for everyone who's interested and players can just hop in

Let's just say I'd like to do this right so I'm taking it to getting help rather than posting an unfinished idea

By all means, run with it. 

Another thing to consider is that we can have this be aa way for people to play changelings their way, rather than in an established cannon way. If there's a way they think a changeling should be r ideas on what they do and how they behave, let them run with it. The idea is to be different than the show and find our own conclusions. 

1 hour ago, Denim&Venom said:

By all means, run with it. 

Another thing to consider is that we can have this be aa way for people to play changelings their way, rather than in an established cannon way. If there's a way they think a changeling should be r ideas on what they do and how they behave, let them run with it. The idea is to be different than the show and find our own conclusions. 

Yes of course, but I would like to have a unified RP canon for changelings we can all agree on, so characters aren't confused about each other's things

56 minutes ago, Emerald<3 said:

@Lektra Bolt 

I wanna join!

I'll use my mane OC Emerald Heart (the Earth Pony in my profile picture).

Welcome! :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Yes of course, but I would like to have a unified RP canon for changelings we can all agree on, so characters aren't confused about each other's things

I think that could be the focus of the campaign. What is the cannon of changelings? It'll be our cast of diverse bug horses who figures this out. 

41 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I think that could be the focus of the campaign. What is the cannon of changelings? It'll be our cast of diverse bug horses who figures this out. 

Haha that's genius actually! 

And supporting characters who want to help, of course 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...
(edited)

I think I'd still like to run this now that I'm trying to get back and easing back into the forum, but with some tweaks now that the ninth TV season has concluded and we know how the show ended. Also character links broke of course and I'll be updating that

Anyone else interested? Probably going with what @Denim&Venömsuggested with the manes being paranoid antagonists. I'm not that amazing at coming up with plot ideas so I felt it was better to ask the community. Idk for how long they'll be antagonists since they're pretty reasonable if someone wants to not fight and talk instead, but at least in the short term that's what we're going with. The mane 6 will be paranoid that Chrysalis has somehow returned 

In addition to all the usual forum rules, if and when I do run this people need to be aware that I'm mobile and can't post super often due to the time it usually takes me to think up a post. I'm not someone who can just whip up a multiple paragraph post in mere minutes, so as far as things that involve me it'll be slow moving. Since it's a large world and we can have multiple concurrent things running that might not be a problem, but I gotta institute a rule to wait for whoever you're interacting with and not run too far ahead of them in whatever plot you're both involved in. This is usually the standard but I've been in RP where players didn't follow this and the results were very chaotic with less active players being left behind by entire pages. At least if I can help it, my RPs will have this as a hard rule that you must give time for all other involved players involved with your group to respond. Not some, all. If you are interacting with 2 others, even if just talking to one of them, wait for a response from both

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 2