Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv (2019) Godzilla King of the Monsters

Dashy 4 Ever

Had lot of fun with this movie, especially as someone who's fairly new to the Godzilla franchise as a whole

Spoiler

image.png.3a05d4d605bd789a57d8594ec8033ca0.png

This shot was really cool btw

• Brohoof 1

I ultimately enjoyed it quite a bit. :mlp_grin: I can't say that I like it more than the 2014 film, but it is certainly more outright entertaining. I could go on an on about King of the Monsters, but to summarize my opinions:

POSITIVES

• The monsters themselves were amazing when they appeared on screen, both in visual appeal and in personality. Ghidorah and Mothra are truly the highlight of the film.
  • Bear Mcreary did an amazing job with the soundtrack, especially due to the fact that he had the rights to many Akira Ifukube songs.
  • The original kaiju designs were quite good overall, with Behemoth as the highlight.
  • Overall, the film is never boring or slow.

NEGATIVES

• The camerawork was a bit tacky at times, especially with the many instances of zooming.
  • The overarching story as a whole isn't very interesting. I am aware that this isn't what most people watch these films for, but I don't believe there is much of an excuse for a bad story any longer either.
  • The environmental themes were terribly tacked-on, and felt as though they were included under obligation rather than true commentary.
  • Even though I do think they look good, the original kaiju don't get enough screen time.

I overall enjoyed this film quite a lot, and I do look forward to Godzilla VS Kong later down the line. :darling:

• Brohoof 2

I enjoyed the absolute hell out of it! I had my concerns going in, but with my personal tastes in mind I just had a full-on blast. Yeah, the human story wasn't great, but it was NO WHERE near as bad as I kept hearing. Heck; I was actually drawn into the drama of the Russell family, Monarch, and of course Dr. Serizawa.

But that aside, the monsters were just spectacular! Really; this was the big budget American-made Godzilla film that I always wanted! Now; I absolutely loved Godzilla 2014, but I loved the energy and tension from this film and just...OMG, seeing Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra on the big screen was just SUCH a treat. Not to mention the Big-G himself! I also loved the references to Kong and Skull Island. Godzilla vs. Kong is really shaping up to be the Avengers of the Monsterverse!

If only the theater was closer! I'd probably see it more times! D:

• Brohoof 1

I just saw this movie this evening and I thought it was okay. I liked the classic monsters and some of the battles were interesting, but I could do without the daddy/mommy/family issues, environmental nonsense and excess baggage tacked onto the story. Just keep it purely and simply a fun monster movie and make it fun. I think @The Recherche says it perfectly. I really couldn't put it better than that.  

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...