Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E12 - The Last Crusade

Lucky Bolt
Message added by Jeric

IMPORTANT: Will the recent confirmation from show staff regarding receiving Hasbro approval for characters who will be appearing in this show, I would like to remind people to keep it civil, and be mindful of the other individuals on the other end of the screen. 

Oh, and there will be spoilers in this thread. Be warned. 

The Last Crusade  

91 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think!

• Scootaloo gag face - Hated it!
    • "Squawk! Look—I'm a chicken!" - Not a fan
    • "I am not a chicken, and episode was okay I guess." - Okay
    • 'Get Your Pony On'! - Liked it
    • "Crikey! Bloody good time mate!" - Loved it
  2. 2. Favorite Elements

• Characters
    • Continuity
    • Acting
    • Story
    • Humor
    • Animation
    • Moral

2 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

I get what you’re saying. Seeing is believing.  Letters and whatever other contact they’ve had over the course of time didn’t do the situation justice.  But sometimes my suspension of disbelief or lack thereof interferes with my enjoyment of otherwise good television. 

I understand that completely. I was pointing something out about the situation that would perhaps make it seem more believable, as I don't find the episodes premise particularly far-fetched. You'd think the parents would have taken everything into account, but people aren't always so rational.

For a personal example, I received toys meant for little children as birthday gifts into my teenage years from various family members who I don't tend to see often. This was despite talking to them on the phone and even hearing them acknowledge my age and just how much older I sounded, and despite my Grandma sending people photos of me all the time showing I was clearly not a young child anymore. So, I can totally buy the parents not quite getting that Scoots job was actually something important until it was shoved in their faces.

• Brohoof 1

Also, it was sweet that Applejack and Rarity would allow Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle go with Scootaloo and her parents if they actually did end up moving away.

(edited)

I really didn't like this episode. It had some good ideas but ended up being a hot mess. Let me explain.

This episode presents the idea of change but does nothing interesting with it. I really wanted to see Scootaloo have to move and learn that, no matter how hard she tries, she just has to accept the fact that things change and adjust to these changes rather than fight them. It could be a great episode for children who have had to move and had issues adjusting, along with being a great way to develop Scootaloos's character and show a new location. But, instead, the child that keeps stamping her hooves and complaining gets her way. Yeah, not a good lesson for the kids. Sure it makes sense why it worked out for Scootaloo, sort of, but, in reality, things don't usually work like that and I feel like this situation will give the wrong idea to kids.

But that brings me to the lesson of the episode which, while it's a very good one, just doesn't fit the episode at all. Don't get me wrong, Scootaloo's parents are the perfect pair for this lesson. They haven't seen Scootaloo in a long time and so they don't understand her passion or her. I also adore the lesson because I can relate. Parents often get so caught up into their career and passions that they forget the fact that their kid also has a passion that is just as important to them. Adults sometimes assume that just because someone is younger than them, they don't have goals and aren't very involved in any activity. Their too young to be serious about something is what a lot of people seem to think and I can vividly recall from my childhood adults constantly telling me I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (ps, I wanted to be a writer and still do). So I get where Scootaloo's frustration is coming from. However, Scootaloo's parents realize they are being neglectful and were doing their best to fix it and spend more time with their daughter they love, yet they're the bad guys for trying to be good parents. Again, this gives off a very bad message to the kids. So, why are they the bad guys? Because they are taking their daughter away from her important job that helps all of Equestria!

Yeah, let's explore that further. I will not deny that the cutie mark crusaders have done some good, but in no way have they helped all of Equestria! They are solely based in Ponyville and the only time they spread their horizons is when they travel with the main six or when someone from a unique race comes to them. The whole ceremony with the claim that they help all of Equestria is a child's fever dream; over exaggerating their passion to make them feel famous and more important than they really are. Be honest, a lot of us did that as a kid and believed we were the next Picasso. Yes, be open to your child's passion and don't keep them from it, but don't be won over by childish and false claims. Scootaloo believes she fully understands the situation but there are a lot of things she's overlooked that an adult should have guided her through. Firstly, you only have parents once and they can help guide and teach you (I'd be fine with her staying if she was a teenager, but she's a child, she needs some parental guidance and her parents need to take responsibility of it rather than putting the duty on others), secondly, she could continue her work at their new home and spread the CMCs message and good deeds to further reaches, thirdly, Scootaloo has not seen all of Equestria, like she believes, and there are plenty of great places to explore and, as said in the second point, spread the CMCs message. So good message, but it just doesn't fit the episode and everything comes off as extremely childish.

In short, this episode gives off a very wrong impression to kids. From Scootaloo whining and pouting and getting her way, the parents being framed as the bad guys for trying to be better parental figures, to making it seem like you should fight change instead of adapt to it. Yes (speaking of bad parenting) parents should not sit their kids in front of the tv and let them get all their morals from that, but still, children's shows that teach morals should take care of what message they are giving off. But, I know some of you are thinking, "but you've been talking about the children the whole time, how do you feel?" and well, I am talking about "the kids" so much because this episode feels like it was written by a kid! It comes off as extremely immature with its elements and very far fetched. I am the one that usually complains about things being "too real", but I think this episode would benefit from a dose of reality. Secondly, my biggest issue is the promise of change but nothing interesting came from it. I want to see the characters grow to new heights and, this being the last season, it's a great time to go all out with creative ideas. Yet, instead, we get this bland episode that really would have benefited from a rewrite. The show is so scared to change the status quo with some elements and I don't understand why. This is the last season for goodness sakes! We want to go out with a bang, not see the same thing over and over. I ended up giving it a D. 

Ps: I loved the aunts :wub:

Edited by Violet Bookish
Just editing grammar and spelling errors.
  • Brohoof 9

1 hour ago, Zestanor said:

The elephant in the room I guess is are Scootaloo's aunts gay lovers. They're as gay as everyone else in the show that isn't explicitly straight. It is a show about friendship. To reduce friendship between two persons of the same sex to one of erotic love is naive. They could be sisters; they could just be good friends. Two friends living together isn't monopolized by people in romantic relationships. Two spinsters living together was (and still is) a very common living arrangement in the past.

That can certainly be how the audience can perceive it, but they are designed and created to be a same-sex couple. The showrunners actually engaged Hasbro for permission and they eunthuthsiasticlly approved giving their official seal of approval. This isn't Lyra and Bon-Bon which are mostly fandom creations. The company endorsed the LGBT connection and signed off on it. It's part of the reason that the mass media is running with the story. It certainly isn't groundbreaking as several cartoons have depicted gay couples in recent years, and more will in the future. 

• Brohoof 5

14 minutes ago, Violet Bookish said:

I really didn't like this episode. It had some good ideas but ended up being a hot mess. Let me explain.

This episode presents the idea of change but does nothing interesting with it. I really wanted to see Scootaloo have to move and learn that, no matter how hard she tries, she just has to accept the fact that things change and adjust to these changes rather than fight them. It could be a great episode for children who have had to move and had issues adjusting, along with being a great way to develop Scootaloos's character and show a new location. But, instead, the child that keeps stamping her hooves and complaining gets her way. Yeah, not a good lesson for the kids. Sure it makes sense why it worked out for Scootaloo, sort of, but, in reality, things don't usually work like that and I feel like this situation will give the wrong idea to kids.

But that brings me to the lesson of the episode which, while it's a very good one, just doesn't fit the episode at all. Don't get me wrong, Scootaloo's parents are the perfect pair for this lesson. They haven't seen Scootaloo in a long time and so they don't understand her passion or her. I also adore the lesson because I can relate. Parents often get so caught up into their career and passions that they forget the fact that their kid also has a passion that is just as important to them. Adults sometimes assume that just because someone is younger than them, they don't have goals and aren't very involved in any activity. Their too young to be serious about something is what a lot of people seem to think and I can vividly recall from my childhood adults constantly telling me I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (ps, I wanted to be a writer and still do). So I get where Scootaloo's frustration is coming from. However, Scootaloo's parents realize they are being neglectful and were doing their best to fix it and spend more time with their daughter they love, yet they're the bad guys for trying to be good parents. Again, this gives off a very bad message to the kids. So, why are they the bad guys? Because they are taking their daughter away from her important job that helps all of Equestria!

Yeah, let's explore that further. I will not deny that the cutie mark crusaders have done some good, but in no way have they helped all of Equestria! They are solely based in Ponyville and the only time they spread their horizons is when they travel with the main six or when someone from a unique race comes to them. The whole ceremony with the claim that they help all of Equestria is a child's fever dream; over exaggerating their passion to make them feel famous and more important than they really are. Be honest, a lot of us did that as a kid and believed we were the next Picasso. Yes, be open to your child's passion and don't keep them from it, but don't be won over by childish and false claims. Scootaloo believes she fully understands the situation but there are a lot of things she's overlooked that an adult should have guided her through. Firstly, you only have parents once and they can help guide and teach you (I'd be fine with her staying if she was a teenager, but she's a child, she needs some parental guidance and her parents need to take responsibility of it rather than putting the duty on others), secondly, she could continue her work at their new home and spread the CMCs message and good deeds to further reaches, thirdly, Scootaloo has not seen all of Equestria, like she believes, and there are plenty of great places to explore and, as said in the second point, spread the CMCs message. So good message, but it just doesn't fit the episode and everything comes off as extremely childish.

In short, this episode gives off a very wrong impression to kids. From Scootaloo whining and pouting and getting her way, the parents being framed as the bad guys for trying to be better parental figures, to making it seem like you should fight change instead of adapt to it. Yes (speaking of bad parenting) parents should not sit their kids in front of the tv and let them get all their morals from that, but still, children's shows that teach morals should take care of what message they are giving off. But, I know some of you are thinking, "but you've been talking about the children the whole time, how do you feel?" and well, I am talking about "the kids" so much because this episode feels like it was written by a kid! It comes off as extremely immature with its elements and very far fetched. I am the one that usually complains about things being "too real", but I think this episode would benefit from a dose of reality. Secondly, my biggest issue is the promise of change but nothing interesting came from it. I want to see the characters grow to new heights and, this being the last season, it's a great time to go all out with creative ideas. Yet, instead, we get this bland episode that really would have benefited from a rewrite. The show is so scared to change the status quo with some elements and I don't understand why. This is the last season for goodness sakes! We want to go out with a bang, not see the same thing over and over. I ended up giving it a D. 

Ps: I loved the aunts :wub:

Everything you said there is well written and sums up my feelings. I loved a many things about this episode except how they wrapped it up is not a realistic moral lesson. There is something to be said about having to keep a friendship through a distance, and a monthly visit isn't the end of the world. Eventually Scootaloo could move back. Moving is hard, but can provide new opportunities. I met my wife because I had to move from my friends in Philly. 

Also, Gallus, Yona, and company are a good counter argument to Scootaloo's point. Afterall they aren't from Ponyville, and the one that is now has some great new friends. 

Finally, monthly visits are not that big of a deal. 

• Brohoof 8

Just now, Jeric said:

Everything you said there is well written and sums up my feelings. I loved a many things about this episode except how they wrapped it up is not a realistic moral lesson. There is something to be said about having to keep a friendship through a distance, and a monthly visit isn't the end of the world. Eventually Scootaloo could move back. Moving is hard, but can provide new opportunities. I met my wife because I had to move from my friends in Philly. 

Also, Gallus, Yona, and company are a good counter argument to Scootaloo's point. Afterall they aren't from Ponyville, and the one that is now has some great new friends. 

Finally, monthly visits are not that big of a deal. 

Yep. Scootaloo needs to spread her horizons and her parents are letting her refuse to grow. They should know as ponies who travel a lot how enriching the experience can be. Also, my best friend is way overseas. We meant each other online and have never seen each other in person but became fast friends and have known each other for years. Even though we are so far apart, we wouldn't give up our friendship for the world. So, hearing Scootaloo whine about a visit every month made me roll my eyes. I wish I had that luxury and one month passes by so fast. If you really are good friends, distance is nothing, which would have been great for Scootaloo and her friends to learn. It would really strengthen their bond. 

You make a really good point. They are great examples of how enriching travel can be and how important it is to spread your horizons.

• Brohoof 5

I have the same problem with this as with the premiere - it's pretty close to the least creative version of this premise possible, and nearly everything I like about it is something that the show probably should have done ages ago. I really like Scootaloo's anxiety about leaving, but the few jokes this has are fairly mild, and the whole storyline is kinda predictable. There's basically nothing wrong with the execution here - I still question the Cutie Mark Crusaders having such important responsibilities at their age, but that ship has sailed - but the only thing that stands out about this episode to me is that we're finally learning about Scootaloo's home life. She doesn't learn anything, but the moral the parents learn is pretty solid. Honestly, though, I've waited a long time for this and I'm okay with it being just OK, even though this season has set my expectations very high. I don't want to overthink this one. 

• I'm not sure what more they should have done, but I'm disappointed that they stuck with plausible deniability regarding the relationship between Scootaloo's aunts. Nothing has ever stated that they are a couple, but I feel like that's supposed to be the implication; I think they could have done more to score representation points. 
  • I especially liked the details about Scootaloo's home life early on, when her aunts discussed leaving food for her and arranging for the Cakes, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash to look after her in the coming days. I wonder if we'll see more from Lofty and Holiday now that they live in Ponyville.
  • I think the final scene, where the CMC are congratulated for everything they've done, is kinda superfluous. We kinda already understood that point, so the scene could have been shorter. But I guess it was important for Scootaloo's relationship to her parents. 
  • I loved that Scootaloo's parents were monster hunters. They took the "demanding jobs" part of her backstory and turned it up to 11. Brilliant. 
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'll defend the virtues of traveling as much as the next guy, but 9 years in, I think the CMCs' "fever dream" is earned. They may still be kids but they definitely have established their presence in Ponyville and are almost as much a part of the town's identity as the M6. They essentially have careers there as much as preteens could be considered having careers, and Scootaloo's friends and aunts have done a lot more true raising of her than her parents have. 

I guess your reading of it depends on how much you're willing to buy into "Cutie Mark Crusader" as a legitimate career path (or at least a stepping stone to one) in Equestria, which I'd have thought would be quite a bit for anyone still sticking with the series 9 years in. And either way I'm sure Twilight and co would be more than willing to bring them into more "official" roles once they see fit to. But also personally, I've never been one to subscribe to the "Blood is thicker than water" notion anyway. 

Edited by n1029

Yes, maybe Scootaloo made moving out to be a bigger deal than it is, but I'm heavily inclined to be sympathetic towards children not wanting huge, life-changing decisions to be made by their parents without even being asked first. Children are given so little autonomy, and letting Scootaloo continue living somewhere that she's happy and was already living comfortably, now with the advantage of a consistent adult presence at home, is not something I take issue with. 

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

@Violet BookishI've been trying to think of how to respond to your opinion for a little bit, because while on one hand, I can see where you're coming from with everything you say, and I don't think you're necessarily wrong, this episode just doesn't do enough to make me think Scoots parents really know what's best for her. They've spent the last 8 and nearly a half seasons seemingly almost totally absent from her life, now they decide they just want to drop in and change that by taking her away from the friends and family that actually have been there for her? It's great that they want to spend more time with her now, and be together as a family but I just can't help but see them as in the wrong for doing this. It's clear they love her and she loves them, but if they want to correct things, taking her away from everyone and everything she knows just...doesn't sit right with me. They might have the right to do that, but I just don't think they should.

Maybe it's cause I don't have the best relationship with my own parents, they've been there for me but they haven't really been "There" for me if that makes any sense, and because I wish I had friends as good as Scoots does when I was a kid while I was mostly alone, and if I had been lucky enough to have friends like that and my parents had decided to "correct their mistakes" by ripping me away from them when they weren't ever there for me as much as I needed, I'd probably be just as upset as Scoots here and I just can't fault her and find her as being in the wrong for it. Scoots parents are different from my parents, and their reason for not being there is totally different, but I just...can't look at this episode and see them as being right. Even if Scoots is being a little childish, I just don't have the ability to look at this episode and not see the parents as being in the wrong for doing this.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 3

21 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

• I'm not sure what more they should have done, but I'm disappointed that they stuck with plausible deniability regarding the relationship between Scootaloo's aunts. Nothing has ever stated that they are a couple, but I feel like that's supposed to be the implication; I think they could have done more to score representation points. 

Well, it's seemingly been enough to PO a bunch of neocons on social media anyway. Word of god is they are, and I think they hit just the right note of taking a stand without making too much of a distraction of it.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, n1029 said:

Well, it's seemingly been enough to PO a bunch of neocons on social media anyway. Word of god is they are, and I think they hit just the right note of taking a stand without making too much of a distraction of it.

I did not know that Hasbro had decided to officially call that a same-sex relationship, so I'm gonna take back my complaint. Characters are already so affectionate in this show that it can be hard to tell sometimes. 

(edited)
9 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

@Violet BookishI've been trying to think of how to respond to your opinion for a little bit, because while on one hand, I can see where you're coming from with everything you say, and I don't think you're necessarily wrong, this episode just doesn't do enough to make me think Scoots parents really know what's best for her. They've spent the last 8 and nearly a half seasons seemingly almost totally absent from her life, now they decide they just want to drop in and change that by taking her away from the friends and family that actually have been there for her? It's great that they want to spend more time with her now, and be together as a family but I just can't help but see them as in the wrong for doing this. It's clear they love her and she loves them, but if they want to correct things, taking her away from everyone and everything she knows just...doesn't sit right with me. They might have the right to do this, but I just don't think they should.

Maybe it's cause I don't have the best relationship with my own parents, they've been there for me but they haven't really been "There" for me if that makes any sense, and because I wish I had friends as good as Scoots does when I was a kid while I was mostly alone, and if I had been lucky enough to have friends like that and my parents had decided to "correct their mistakes" by ripping me away from them when they weren't ever there for me as much as I needed, I'd probably be just as upset as Scoots here and I just can't fault her and find her as being in the wrong for it. Scoots parents are different from my parents, and their reason for not being there is totally different, but I just...can't look at this episode and see them as being right. Even if Scoots is being a little childish, I just don't have the ability to look at this episode and see the parents as being wrong for doing this.

I totally get what you mean, they've been awful parents. However, they are trying to change things and take their parenting role seriously. The episode makes it clear that the parents have an important job that they have to live close to. They did their best to change things, making it so they could live somewhere permanently for the sake of Scootaloo, and yes it comes with the sacrifice of moving but they're trying to be good parents. Scootaloo has mentioned how upset she is at having little support from her parents and seems to be being tossed around from parental figure to parental figure (the episode shows her staying with her aunts then mentions her having to stay with Rainbow Dash). She needs more support and her parents need to start being more active in her life. Living together is a wonderful way to do this. It's hard of course, but doesn't mean it wouldn't be good in the long run.

I didn't have many friends as a kid either, but I've learned that no one can rip you away from your friends unless you decide to give up on said friendship. It is your choice if you want to keep putting in the effort or not. Her friends could visit her monthly, which can pass in no time if you keep yourself occupied, so it's not like she was completely isolated from her friends. Also, I have no issue with Scootaloo being upset, I have an issue with her getting her way in the manner she did. I respect your opinion, we all experience different things in life which changes how we perceive things, but my opinion hasn't changed.

Edited by Violet Bookish
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, AlexanderThrond said:

I did not know that Hasbro had decided to officially call that a same-sex relationship, so I'm gonna take back my complaint. Characters are already so affectionate in this show that it can be hard to tell sometimes. 

Not Hasbro per se, but Vogel and DuBuc. They did approve it though, and have done nothing to stop the media circus surrounding it.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, n1029 said:

Not Hasbro per se, but Vogel and DuBuc. They did approve it though, and have done nothing to stop the media circus surrounding it.

Same thing, really. 

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Violet Bookish said:

I totally get what you mean, they've been awful parents. However, they are trying to change things and take their parenting role seriously. The episode makes it clear that the parents have an important job that they have to live close to. They did their best to change things, making it so they could live somewhere permanently for the sake of Scootaloo, and yes it comes with the sacrifice of moving but they're trying to be good parents. Scootaloo has mentioned how upset she is at having little support from her parents and seems to be being tossed around from parental figure to parental figure (the episode shows her staying with her aunts then mentions her having to stay with Rainbow Dash). She needs more support and her parents need to start being more active in her life. Living together is a wonderful way to do this. It's hard of course, but doesn't mean it'd be good in the long run.

I didn't have many friends as a kid either, but I've learned that no one can rip you away from your friends unless you decide to give up on said friendship. It is your choice if you want to keep putting in the effort or not. Her friends could visit her monthly, which can pass in no time if you keep yourself occupied, so it's not like she was completely isolated from her friends. Also, I have no issue with Scootaloo being upset, I have an issue with her getting her way in the manner she did. I respect your opinion, we all experience different things in life which changes how we perceive things, but my opinion hasn't changed.

Like I said, I think it's great that they want to change things and be there more for Scootaloo and that they're taking steps to do that, but the fact they're doing this now doesn't change the fact that they haven't been there for her in the past, and taking her away from the places and people she is familiar with, that have been there for her...I don't think that's a good way to do this. At the very least it is not a good first step, that's the kind of thing that maybe I could see working out later down the road, after they've reconnected with her more, but it's an absolutely terrible start. While they as her parents, technically have the right to do that, I don't think it's the right thing to do. Those aunts and other parental figures have consistently been there for her more than her actual parents have, I feel like they'd actually be taking away more support than they'd be giving if they went through with this. This episode doesn't make me buy that they're close enough with her as is to offer the support she needs, no matter how much they might love her.

While it's true that moving wouldn't necessarily destroy her friendships, it still means she'd see far less of them, especially considering Equestria doesn't have something like the Internet to keep in touch daily. She might not lose them completely, but they wouldn't be able to offer nearly the same amount of companionship and support as they do when she lives in Ponyville. She'd be suddenly in a totally new and unfamiliar environment, with all of the support she's used to now far away, completely not by her own choice. If it were me in that situation, I could pretty much guarantee daily panic attacks. Scoots might not have that issue, but I just don't buy that this would be the best thing for her as is.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Despite someponies complaining about the certain details we may already be aware of, the episode was surprisingly very relatable to me. In a sense that knowing I have found what my life-purpose is, I would hate to see myself going on a completely different path than what I have already discovered within myself.

My fear is that I might end up working on my 9-5 drywall construction job for most of my life when I know deep inside that it's not what I want, yet my parents mostly hinted that they really don't care and think they know what's best for me, yet I know what it is I want to do for the rest of my lifetime which is to fulfill my life-long mission to create and grow the World's Largest Pipe Organ Arrangements (Translations) Library (with the focus on Pop Culture Music, including MLP music). And I'm already seeing the initial impact my efforts are making, so I know I'm in the right direction.

Despite my adversities (hardships), I will never quit on my life-long mission, as I can already envision the immense impact it will make on the rest of the world.

How about the rest of you? What spoke out to you when you watched this episode? :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

Like I said, I think it's great that they want to change things and be there more for Scootaloo and that they're taking steps to do that, but the fact they're doing this now doesn't change the fact that they haven't been there for her in the past, and taking her away from the places and people she is familiar with, that have been there for her...I don't think that's a good way to do this. At the very least it is not a good first step, that's the kind of thing that maybe I could see working out later down the road, after they've reconnected with her more, but it's an absolutely terrible start. While they as her parents, technically have the right to do that, I don't think it's the right thing to do. Those aunts and other parental figures have consistently been there for her more than her actual parents have, I feel like they'd actually be taking away more support than they'd be giving if they went through with this. This episode doesn't make me buy that they're close enough with her as is to offer the support she needs, no matter how much they might love her.

While it's true that moving wouldn't necessarily destroy her friendships, it still means she'd see far less of them, especially considering doesn't have the Internet to keep in touch daily. She might not lose them completely, but they wouldn't be able to offer nearly the same amount of companionship and support as they do when she lives in Ponyville. She'd be suddenly in a totally new and unfamiliar environment, with all of the support she's used to now far away, completely not by her own choice. If it were me in that situation, I could pretty much guarantee daily panic attacks. Scoots might not have that issue, but I just don't buy that this would be the best thing for her as is.

True, it would have been nice if they spent more time with Scootaloo and her friends, learning more about her, but I can't help but put myself in the parents' shoes. They love their daughter and were away from her for so long, I can understand why they'd immediately want to act. They probably felt guilty and really didn't want to miss out on Scootaloo's childhood. I would want to act immediately and mend the relationship. As for being alone, maybe they should have visited the place before moving so she could meet some people there, I am assuming there are some ponies there, if not then that's a bad move on the parents.

True, but even so I think Scootaloo really needs to be with her parents. Also yes but she could adjust, which is why earlier I suggested a sort of trial visit. New environments are hard but that doesn't mean you should avoid them. I have a habit of doing that and yeah, I miss out on a lot. Also, it seems like this is very personal for you. I get it, it's the reason I hate Newbie Dash with a burning passion. I can't convince you otherwise, I know from personal experience, and I'd rather not make you think of sad things like having constant panic attacks, so maybe we should put a close on this?

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Violet Bookish said:

True, it would have been nice if they spent more time with Scootaloo and her friends, learning more about her, but I can't help but put myself in the parents' shoes. They love their daughter and were away from her for so long, I can understand why they'd immediately want to act. They probably felt guilty and really didn't want to miss out on Scootaloo's childhood. I would want to act immediately and mend the relationship. As for being alone, maybe they should have visited the place before moving so she could meet some people there, I am assuming there are some ponies there, if not then that's a bad move on the parents.

True, but even so I think Scootaloo really needs to be with her parents. Also yes but she could adjust, which is why earlier I suggested a sort of trial visit. New environments are hard but that doesn't mean you should avoid them. I have a habit of doing that and yeah, I miss out on a lot. Also, it seems like this is very personal for you. I get it, it's the reason I hate Newbie Dash with a burning passion. I can't convince you otherwise, I know from personal experience, and I'd rather not make you think of sad things like having constant panic attacks, so maybe we should put a close on this?

Putting myself in their shoes, I can understand their reasoning as well. Just because they want it though, doesn't mean it's actually the right thing for Scootaloo herself. We can say "Scootaloo really needs to be with her parents", but what Scootaloo needs is love and support and her parents in this episode didn't do enough to prove they can make up for what she'd be losing by taking her away from her home. Parents aren't actually always the best source of love and support, and sometimes they really don't know best, and while I totally buy that Scootaloo's parents mean well in this case, meaning well doesn't automatically mean doing well. If they had done a trial run like you suggested, or maybe stayed in Ponyville for at least a few months to reconnect with Scoots first before making this decision, I could see it working out, as the episode showed it though, I think they're in the wrong and Scootaloo should absolutely be allowed to stay.

But you're right, this is pretty personal, and we could go back and forth for days and I doubt my opinions would change. I like the way the episode ended in this case, and I think if they wanted to do a moral or ending more like what you think they should have, it could work too, but the episode would have to be rewritten in some ways, otherwise if it was the same with a different ending, no matter how positively they portrayed it I just don't think I could look at it and see as good. 

Was nice talking to you though.:)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Jonny Music said:

Despite someponies complaining about the certain details we may already be aware of, the episode was surprisingly very relatable to me. In a sense that knowing I have found what my life-purpose is, I would hate to see myself going on a completely different path than what I have already discovered within myself.

My fear is that I might end up working on my 9-5 drywall construction job for most of my life when I know deep inside that it's not what I want, yet my parents mostly hinted that they really don't care and think they know what's best for me, yet I know what it is I want to do for the rest of my lifetime which is to fulfill my life-long mission to create and grow the World's Largest Pipe Organ Arrangements (Translations) Library (with the focus on Pop Culture Music, including MLP music). And I'm already seeing the initial impact my efforts are making, so I know I'm in the right direction.

Despite my adversities (hardships), I will never quit on my life-long mission, as I can already envision the immense impact it will make on the rest of the world.

How about the rest of you? What spoke out to you when you watched this episode? :)

I didn't like this episode but I can relate to adults overlooking the fact that children have passions too and can be very serious about them. I remember when I was younger being told by a lot of the adults that I couldn't know what I wanted to do with my life because I was too young. I remember vividly this thing we had to do in middle school to discover future careers and our interest. We had to take a test and it'd tell us what career was best for us. I don't remember what I got but I don't remember being impressed. My mom said she had to do one and got receptionist or something like that, even though she is pretty shy and would be so bored just answering phones. The test isn't a bad idea, I just hated the approach the adults had on it, as if they and the test knew better than us. I wanted to be a writer then and still do. I haven't grown out of my passion and hate that so many adults act like these things will just pass. For some it might, but not for everyone. My parents also treat my passion differently than I do. My father looks at the financial side and my mother doesn't really like the dark stuff I write. Anyways, that's just my experience.

Edited by Violet Bookish
  • Brohoof 2

Aunt Holiday and Auntie Lofty didn't have as much of a presence in the episode as I thought, only appearing at the beginning and towards the end. I mean, they do ultimately help resolve things, but judging from how certain individuals and groups have reacted to this episode, I feel they have blown it all out of proportion. I will give the former props for her accent--it makes sense now given the fact Scootaloo's dad is their younger brother as he sounds similar in his own way--while the latter made me feel nostalgic for voice acting of years past.

Speaking of which, it took us nine years to finally be introduced to Scootaloo's parents, yet the reason as to why they've never been around was a mixed bag. I can understand their job constantly kept them away but you'd think that they could've paid a visit much sooner or perhaps have been referenced sooner. On a quick side note, the whole Scootaloo being an orphan shtick is finally debunked as she clearly has a family dynamic. I do like her parents and their first impression gave me the sense that they were famed adventurers who handle things most other ponies could never hope to tackle. Also... I think we were given a reason as to why Scootaloo can't fly though it was never mentioned or even hinted at. You just needed to look carefully and perhaps come to a conclusion that way.

Cameos... of course we were going to get those again, and for the second straight episode. It is the final season after all so the staff might as well throw in as many references to past episodes as possible given that some of those who made cameos will never get another shot at a speaking role ever again. While it would've been nice had certain characters been allowed to talk, the fact that they were referenced is better than not and being forgotten by all but the most die-hard of fans. Is this pandering? Yes, and I love it! There, I said it!

As for the story and the lesson... the CMC's attempts were cringe-inducing to no end and they could've done without some of the more absurd ideas, but I can appreciate what they were trying to do. Forcing someone to choose between family and friends is never easy and I actually can relate to Scootaloo on a personal level. I've been in her position many times over my life so what she went through is very genuine. I felt her pain, her sorrow, her anguish... my respect for Scootaloo has increased exponentially as a result. I will also give props for the whole CMC Appreciation Day. Never thought they would do something like that. Surprised it never came up before until now but better late than never right?

Is this considered the final CMC themed episode? Perhaps unless there is one more remaining that has yet to be revealed, but if this was meant to be their swan song, it was handled in an exceptional manner. Sure, the cringe is a distraction and does reduce the overall quality, but everything else more than made up for it. I now expect fanart featuring Scootaloo and her family as soon as possible. That's pretty much all I can say here but I'm certain I've missed things which others will or have brought up in their own thoughts.

Wow... I didn't think I'd type up this much. I was only going for a couple of sentences here but instead I ended up with this. Guess I had more to say than initially estimated. I'll give this one 91%... make that 92%.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Writers, Nicole Dubuc and J harber, two of the better ones recently with good episodes. For seasons I was mostly neutral about CMCs and they intrigued me less. However, the episode is a nice fan service as many times fandom was asking about Scootaloo, assumed she was an orphan and so on. Now all these theories could be put to rest an episode needed for Season 9, to untie the mysteries surrounding her have finally been revealed. This is the type of episode whether Im into it or not was needed for the season.

So, I which filly takes what cutie mark is really not something I care about but it's a fine start. Seeing Scoot has aunts is already a start for revealing smth about  her family.

Cheerley and the students, it's been long since last a class episode was made. And there starts the first encounter with Scoot's parents. From what I get they are Australian ? (or whatever the land is in Equestria), photographer(s), first looked like Daring Do but yes photographer, an interesting job I can add. Exploring interesting places, seeing beautiful parts of the world. After the introduction there comes the part where they have to part ways, Scoot with Apple Bloom and Sweety Belle. The drama last long for my taste but seeing they are still grown up fillies, and all they shared understandable.

Was wearing some thorn monster costume fitting their age? Maybe, since it was a lesser attempt to convince Scoot's parents to let them stay but the plan failed predictably.like the photos and Zecora's potion.

This part was interesting, since it summarized what they have done showing the TIMELINE of their CMC acts, I won't follow the first ones, not sure if they are in the correct order from top to bottom but I see - helping Big Mac with Sugar Belle, some fillies I do not remember, Diamond Tiara, them becoming CMCs and getting their marks.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep208-TheLastCrusade.thumb.jpg.08e581899ec2e8921b5514afcc3d11ea.jpg

Would have been nice: To see most of the important clients of the CMCs, Diamond Tiara, I think we saw one filly that learnt dancing was his mark from Season (7?) or earlier. Oh of course they helped Siverstream's Bro Terramar  in Surf and/or Turf, and that little Gryphon. Ponyville has long acknowledged their contribution, so all took part in the celebration.  Not much to say, the episode was needed, as neutral to CMCs I think it delivered all it had to, approved, 5/5

Edited by ImpctR

yeah... this episode does not fly with me at all with the way it headed at the end. Scootaloo should of thought of leaving ponyville as a way to expand business for the cmc instead of seeing it as losing her friends, assuming the internet is a thing in equestria (Just hope ponies don't stumble across the mlp tumblr pages) it would be easy to keep in communication with sweetie belle and apple bloom. It's not like the cmc is a three pony job anyway, if it was then I couldn't see the entire business running for another 5 years. The cmc should be able to work with just 1 pony if it want's to be seen as a good business. I mean, did Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle of Scootaloo not take into account for the eventuality of the loss of a member? You need to plan for this stuff in case it happens....

• Brohoof 4

I am with the crowd of liking this episode a lot but not loving it. I love, as everyone seems to, it finally being revealed to us what Scootaloo’s home situation is like, her parents finally making an appearance, and the cameos of so many returning characters we hadn’t seen in seasons. Even Sombra got name-dropped again, go figure. I also really like the emotion that went into it, showing how much Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle actually care about Scootaloo. However, that also helps play into the weakest part of the episode...the unrealistic conclusion. Scootaloo not only gets to stay, but her aunts just so happen to have a solution to the problem of her parents selling the home? In a show that is willing to change the status quo as well as coming to an end, you would think that even a happy ending would be more impactful. Overall, it’s just so good...without being great. It’s also interesting how we now have two Indiana Jones-inspired ponies in an episode paying homage to Indiana Jones with its title. I guess that’s what they call keeping up with the Joneses.

• Brohoof 1