Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How long would you last in the desert?

DivineMist1000

The desert: A barren, dry and incredibly hot place in the world. No water, no food and nothing but sand and heat! How long would you last before giving up? Or would you persevere through the pain and make your way through the desert and make it to somewhere cooler?

For me: Maybe a day

• Brohoof 2

Thinking about this in extreme detail....about 5 minutes. Me and intense heat are not on speaking terms. Instantly my sense of panic would kick in and I would be wanting a nice glass of water. Deserts are unforgiving and could not care less about my weak endurance abilities. :lostit:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, I could probably survive at least 4 days. If I were to find water than I could easily survive even longer. The heat wouldn’t be an issue for me as I’m already pretty resistant to it, growing up in the south, and I’m naturally in fit shape, just that alone helps a lot.

So, in other words, I think I’d have a good fighting chance. :dash:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't last long. Just yesterday I had to spend five minutes in a car without air-conditioning on (it was only in the mid to upper 70s outside, let me add) and I already felt like I couldn't breathe in that. I don't do well in the heat.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe a few hours.  I've become used to having to deal with it to some extent, but I'm definitely still a bit susceptible to it. As for the cold (Deserts do get VERY cold at night), I spent my first 11 years in Washington state and have had to deal with that to some extent, but I'm also definitely a bit susceptible to that as well.

• Brohoof 1

I’ve live in the desert for 3 years so I’m very used to how hot it gets here in Arizona. So I could probably last forever. However in the summer I don’t like it here to hot but I could still survive. 

• Brohoof 1

It's hard to estimate, but I think I'd survive about a day. When the sun would rise the second day, I suspect my time would be running out, or at least I wouldn't be able to make significant progress anymore.

I think the heat wouldn't be a big issue, lack of water in that temperature though, absolutely yes.

But yeah, I absolutely have no idea how that would go. :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

I would give myself a few days...probably three. That’s a big “probably” though. I already have a significant intolerance to heat and I can barely stand 60 degrees Fahrenheit. If I already have that issue and I have no supplies? I’ll be done for pretty quickly. I can only watch so much Naked and Afraid.

• Brohoof 1

I thrive in the heat so I'd like to think that I could survive in a desert for quite some time. Of course, I'd need to have the proper resources on hand as not having them would be both stupid and suicidal in that sense. Maybe a week or two is how long I could last.

• Brohoof 1

Probably on day two. I'd move north around dusk and dawn, perhaps at night at well if it's too cold to sleep but I might have some trouble navigating then and people generally lean slightly in one direction which is how they manage to eventually walk in a giant circle, but I'd be using the sun and moon as my compass so I'd generally go in the direction I wanted. During the day I'd bury myself partly in sand for the cooler temperatures below, but I'm not sure how well that'd work as the day goes on. Otherwise sheild my body from as much sun as possible and sit it out. I don't do well in heat, I'd dehydrate faster from moving, and I'm hypoglycemic, so although there's a chance at 3-4 days, 2 is more realistic, especially if it is truly a hopeless situation.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Bakugou Is My Man <3 said:

I would give myself a few days...probably three. That’s a big “probably” though. I already have a significant intolerance to heat and I can barely stand 60 degrees Fahrenheit. If I already have that issue and I have no supplies? I’ll be done for pretty quickly. I can only watch so much Naked and Afraid.

Really? I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone on that. Over the years I've begun to wonder if something is wrong with me. 60 degrees with sun and not breeze can be very unpleasantly warm weather. I remember a couple of winters ago going for a walk to a store in temperatures in the mid 60s and when I got back thinking "It's miserable outside!" then I looked at the temperature and thought "Oh dear. Is something wrong with me?"

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Envy said:

Really? I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone on that. Over the years I've begun to wonder if something is wrong with me. 60 degrees with sun and not breeze can be very unpleasantly warm weather. I remember a couple of winters ago going for a walk to a store in temperatures in the mid 60s and when I got back thinking "It's miserable outside!" then I looked at the temperature and thought "Oh dear. Is something wrong with me?"

And I thought that was alone! I’m glad that someone else gets how horrid the heat is.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I could probably last a few days, because I've had enough experience with extreme temperatures to slug on. If I can find water, then I could survive a bit longer.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 1

After watching duel survival and Bear Grylls, I would say about a week or two depending on the supplies I'd find around the desert. Unless the heat got to me first...

• Brohoof 2

I think I could go the distance. How long exactly is hard to say, depending on how much water I have access to. But I know the desert, have lived there and I’d have a few tricks up my sleeve if it came down to survival.  

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I'd like to say that I'd make it out okay, but I really can't know for sure. I've lived in hot places before, but those places were at least irrigated. My endurance is second to none, but I don't think I'd be able to find water or food, so I'd just be wandering aimlessly until I died of dehydration.

Perhaps 4 days.

I have a low heat tolerance. I'm assuming I wouldn't have water on me when I get dropped off, so of course I'd have to make finding water a priority, but that could prove difficult if I'm dropped off early on in the day. Time is of the essence so I can't afford to just sit around til it gets dark. But heat exhaustion is a definite possibility during the daytime if I'm not careful, not to mention dehydration can set in quicker than one might think.

If I were to find a good source of water, I think I'd be fine. If not, I might not last very long...