Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Taylor Swift's Pride Anthem Gets Blasted By LGBT Fans

Misty Shadow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7147031/Music-fans-accuse-Taylor-Swift-exploiting-gay-culture-new-Pride-themed-single.html

Even if I wasn't bi, I would be more on the LGBT side here. I do not trust that Taylor Swift's motive for shoving politics into her music is genuine, especially after she pretended to be apolitical for so long before coming out as a supporter for the left conveniently around the same time the midterms took place. Those are just my thoughts, please share yours, just please don't make this thread have to be moved to the Debate Symposium. :scoots:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think both Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie put it best: politics/religion doesn't belong in music. Or as the latter himself specifically said: "It is best to not discuss religion or politics. It always ends in broken noses...because it upsets people to question their faith in things be it Jesus or George Bush. It's easier to just get angry."

As an aspiring musician myself, I know it's never a good idea to put those things into your music generally.

Edited by Renegade the Unicorn
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not going to take sides here, however both sides of the aisle have made mistakes. You shouldn't put that stuff in your song, and you shouldn't complain about it either.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I'm not going to take sides here, however both sides of the aisle have made mistakes. You shouldn't put that stuff in your song, and you shouldn't complain about it either.

Oh yeah, both sides are definitely wrong here. I just understand the frustration of the LGBT side better because Taylor Swift is a phony. :maud:

2017 Taylor: "I'm apolitical!"

2018 Taylor: "Let's be neutral...and vote for far-left Democrats!" 

This is obviously all part of a business ploy. Therefore, it deserves to be called out for what it is, a business ploy. Even if some are taking this too far, they are at least right in calling a spade a spade. 

• Brohoof 3

Just now, CloudMistDragon said:

Oh yeah, both sides are definitely wrong here. I just understand the frustration of the LGBT side better because Taylor Swift is a phony. :maud:

2017 Taylor: "I'm apolitical!"

2018 Taylor: "Let's be neutral...and vote for far-left Democrats!" 

This is obviously all part of a business ploy. Therefore, it deserves to be called out for what it is, a business ploy. Even if some are taking this too far, they are at least right in calling a spade a spade. 

Pretty much my thoughts. While I certainly do no agree with the LGBT community that much at all, this is one of the rare interests where I do. It's a business ploy, and you know how much I don't like those.

• Brohoof 3

Isn't that most "business ploys" though? People see potential for profit, so they take it. She's not forcing anyone to buy her music or listen to it. If you like it, then listen to it. If you don't, then don't. And if you like it but refuse to listen to it because of the reasons behind its creation, then don't listen to it. I'm not throwing my support behind her, and I'm certainly never gonna listen to those songs myself, but I won't fault her for seeing an opportunity for profit and taking it.

• Brohoof 2

The first issue is how many people worship celebrities like Swift and treat whatever it is they say or do as essentially the will of a god. Celebrity worship culture is embarrassing. Whatever it is that she did for "LGBT'S" doesn't mean anything to me, because she doesn't matter in the slightest to me in the first place. 

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

The first issue is how many people worship celebrities like Swift and treat whatever it is they say or do as essentially the will of a god. Celebrity worship culture is embarrassing.

GODLY comment right there, let me tell you. :dry:

• Brohoof 4

54 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

I think both Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie put it best: politics/religion doesn't belong in music.

Politics doesn't belong in music? Politics drove a lot of the major bands in the late 1960s and 70s (and of course, it has happened in other eras as well). Heck, even going back to the classic era, IIRC composers were using works like their opera to take subtle jabs at royalty, class roles, etc. Saying music should be separate from politics is a bit messed up. I mean politics have been and, of course, remain very important for people. It is naturally going to be something that inspires musicians to do what they do and it is going to end up in the music itself, in the lyrics.

Now an artist who doesn't care capitalizing on the plight of others isn't cool... But we should say it that way. Not "keep politics out of music!" and in fact, being LGBT/singing about LGBT shouldn't be considered "politics" to begin with.

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

It's really infuriating when a pop star goes out of their way to represent a whole community of people with a specific song, I honestly cannot receive it in any other way than flat-out ire. Songs like "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry don't give me such irritation, though, because it's basically just like 90% of all songs today except for the homosexual romance part, but this is to me is ridiculous. :dry: Not really outraged by it in any way, though, because I think that's also an excessive reaction considering that it's just a song, with no obvious hate in it. Save your outrage for those songs, not just a really stupid marketing ploy by some idiot pop star to seem more relevant than they really are. And don't say I don't know the issue, because I'm gay so I most CERTAINLY do.

Edited by ~Angel Dust~
  • Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Totally Lyra said:

Isn't that most "business ploys" though? People see potential for profit, so they take it. She's not forcing anyone to buy her music or listen to it. If you like it, then listen to it. If you don't, then don't. And if you like it but refuse to listen to it because of the reasons behind its creation, then don't listen to it. I'm not throwing my support behind her, and I'm certainly never gonna listen to those songs myself, but I won't fault her for seeing an opportunity for profit and taking it.

Normally, you would be right...however, the problem is that she is not being transparent about the fact.

https://people.com/music/taylor-swift-political-undertones-new-music/

She purports that she's doing this for a "fight for LGBTQ rights" and trying to speak for us by pandering to us for money. :dry:

Not even going to read it and I already know what's happening. Of course a celebrity is pandering to a community that has been gaining traction in recent years. As they say, money talks.

• Brohoof 2

Let's just say that I am less than enthused that what I am is turning into a demographic to be sold to. I am not my sexuality, nor gender. Don't try to pander to me based on those things. I am immune to this bullshit.

• Brohoof 3

This whole LGBT month overall is nothing but a annoying trend that people gets into just to get some attention, so she isn't the only one. 

• Brohoof 1

Music has always been involved in Politics and Religion, because it is an art form.Yes, some artist don't do it, but that's their opinion. It wasn't really political. LGBTQ issues are human rights, which for me is not political, but more of a need in society. Transgender women of color are being killed for defending themselves against hatred. The problem with the LGBTQ community is they became too politically correct with the younger generation. They see everything as wrong, whether is be gay lingo to people like Ru Paul whose opinion is different. They forget the Stone wall riots, which was promoted by music and a lot of other avenues. Drag also being a political motive. Almost all forms of art are political. Whether Taylor Swift is truly part and supportive of the LGBTQ community is really not for anyone to say but her. She doesn't really talk politics or show off that she sends money to organizations, which is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't situations. No matter what an artist does, no one will be truly happy. And artist can give their entire fortune to support a cause and still people will criticize. My suggestion is embrace it, show case it and just allow it to be an anthem, verses finding a negative out look on everything. I rather embrace it as a pansexual women, then totally disregard it and try to create negative drama. 

26 minutes ago, TBD said:

This whole LGBT month overall is nothing but a annoying trend that people gets into just to get some attention, so she isn't the only one. 

Remember this, look up Stonewall riots. It's why we have this month. Transgender women, especially of color are being killed. I have many friends who are transgender who I worry about daily. Its a scary time, even if it gotten some what better. People hate when anyone fights for any rights. 

1 hour ago, TBD said:

It has a purpose (mostly to recognize a group that has faced immense amounts of violent and even murderous discrimination in the past and even in the present), but it's been warped by LGBT becoming more of a brand than a group of actual PEOPLE, and people like her are just abusing it for their own gain. Not going to fly with me.

1 hour ago, AmaltheaMoonChild said:

Transgender women, especially of color are being killed. I have many friends who are transgender who I worry about daily. Its a scary time, even if it gotten some what better. People hate when anyone fights for any rights. 

What establishment shill site did you get this from? This is entirely false. The lowest estimate of the amount of trans people in the US is 1.3 million while the rough estimate is 0.6% of the population.

0.6.jpg.cc15f1bf8440b9f7b3b6057dcea75ced.jpg

0.6% of 300 million is 1.8 million, and do you know how many transgender people have been killed this year thus far? Ten.

h0mnr7y65r531.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

And no, people do not hate when anyone "fights for rights", they applaud it everywhere in the media. The complaints and grievances I have addressed in this thread are coming from your LGBT friends like me. If you feel so strongly about fighting for our rights, why do you want to take away our right to not enjoy being pandered to? 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

What establishment shill site did you get this from? This is entirely false. The lowest estimate of the amount of trans people in the US is 1.3 million while the rough estimate is 0.6% of the population.

0.6.jpg.cc15f1bf8440b9f7b3b6057dcea75ced.jpg

0.6% of 300 million is 1.8 million, and do you know how many transgender people have been killed this year thus far? Ten.

h0mnr7y65r531.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

And no, people do not hate when anyone "fights for rights", they applaud it everywhere in the media. The complaints and grievances I have addressed in this thread are coming from your LGBT friends like me. If you feel so strongly about fighting for our rights, why do you want to take away our right to not enjoy being pandered to? 

By the way,I am pansexual,have dated transgender women, transgender men, women etc.... Currently in a relationship with a man, but being pansexual I don't view things the same way. I am also 34 years old and have experienced friends being abused,beaten and nearly killed for being transgender. I have also experienced it for dating someone who is transgender and nearly was shot. It may seem like a small amount, but it is happening today. People don't generally kill, but there has been harassment and death that been occurring for whatever reason. So, what you are saying is being transgender is safe and no one is being hurt for it? lol.... I am sorry, that's funny. Statistics doesn't show the true violence that does happen. It is not only in America, but world wide as well. 

Just now, AmaltheaMoonChild said:

By the way,I am pansexual,have dated transgender women, transgender men, women etc.... Currently in a relationship with a man, but being pansexual I don't view things the same way. I am also 34 years old and have experienced friends being abused,beaten and nearly killed for being transgender. I have also experienced it for dating someone who is transgender and nearly was shot. It may seem like a small amount, but it is happening today. People don't generally kill, but there has been harassment and death that been occurring for whatever reason. So, what you are saying is being transgender is safe and no one is being hurt for it? lol.... I am sorry, that's funny. Statistics doesn't show the true violence that does happen. It is not only in America, but world wide as well. 

So you think that your anecdotal evidence means more than statistics? 

Just now, CloudMistDragon said:

So you think that your anecdotal evidence means more than statistics? 

So,your saying transgenders are not being attacked at all and violence is not happening? They make up a small amount but being trans comes with violence, death and hatred. It is not false, and no they are not a safe group to be involved in. I don't know how old you are or the experiences you have, not only that meeting transgender folks around the world who speak about their problems. It is more then just a handful. Statistics only show a small percentage, many of which don't report or go unnoticed. Having been active in the LGBTQ community for nearly 25 plus years, having multiple friends and knowing many who have been killed or suffered violence, it doesn't matter what you say. Violence exist within that community and sadly it will continue to exist until people start respecting each other. I live closet to Philadelphia with a huge LGBTQ community, and even then it isn't always safe. I know people who also involved in the Stonewall riots. 

http://news.trust.org/item/20181120075803-0k6vn/'

When you also have deaths happening in a short period of time, that is a problem. It doesn't matter if it was 2, it is still a problem regardless of what you may say. It's also rising, which says a lot. It doesn't how small the numbers, it is the context of those crimes that matter.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/health/transgender-deaths-2018/index.html

I have a question, ever been to a transgender funeral where people have come out to protest and scream they deserve to die?I have.

I will say this, statistics is only one half of the debate, there is more too it then that. Anecdotal evidence also becomes a point, as well as context of crime and the amount of the crime rising year after year. You can't rely on statistics for real life situations. Statistics can say a lot of things but the reality of it is far different. Any person can state statistics, but living it, seeing it and hearing stories from countless others should also play a factor. Relying on statistics does not help anyone who has suffered. Its like with abortion, people claim a low percentage of those obtaining abortions are actually raped,the problem is many women who are raped do not always come forward out of fear and embarrassment. It is still a  stigma to be raped and trust me as a survivor of rape, I know that stigma all to well. Statistics is only what is recorded, it is not the full facts of a situation. There is context of crimes, violence unrecorded and not even reported that is also a factor. 

2 minutes ago, AmaltheaMoonChild said:

So,your saying transgenders are not being attacked at all and violence is not happening? They make up a small amount but being trans comes with violence, death and hatred. It is not false, and no they are not a safe group to be involved in. I don't know how old you are or the experiences you have, not only that meeting transgender folks around the world who speak about their problems. It is more then just a handful. Statistics only show a small percentage, many of which don't report or go unnoticed. Having been active in the LGBTQ community for nearly 25 plus years, having multiple friends and knowing many who have been killed or suffered violence, it doesn't matter what you say. Violence exist within that community and sadly it will continue to exist until people start respecting each other. I live closet to Philadelphia with a huge LGBTQ community, and even then it isn't always safe. I know people who also involved in the Stonewall riots. 

http://news.trust.org/item/20181120075803-0k6vn/'

When you also have deaths happening in a short period of time, that is a problem. It doesn't matter if it was 2, it is still a problem regardless of what you may say. It's also rising, which says a lot. It doesn't how small the numbers, it is the context of those crimes that matter.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/health/transgender-deaths-2018/index.html

I have a question, ever been to a transgender funeral where people have come out to protest and scream they deserve to die?I have.

I am not saying that it is not happening, I'm just saying that it's exaggerated by people who have every reason to exaggerate. First, you laugh off my statistics, then try to argue with me with data from people who have every reason to stretch the truth on top of it. Everyone gets hated and discriminated against, that's just the way the world is. And other sources would actually tell you that hate crimes are declining despite the lies constantly being peddled by the media that they're on the rise.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/hate-crimes-decline-department-justice/

https://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2019/04/11/the-fake-news-surge-in-hate-crimes-n2544595

This is why you can't win by appealing to emotions alone. 

Statistics don't give you straight up facts. Not everything is reported or recorded and many "statistics" have been known to lie to prevent further information. Yes,every group can be discriminated against, but in reality there will always be more groups discriminated against more so then others. It is not an out right lie. Experiencing things also puts things into perspective. I dealt with watching racism, violence, friends dying, suicide etc.... All of which may not have been reported as such. I know things that also get covered up, experienced that before. 

The whole 'pride' month has nothing more to it other than people claiming to be equal, while they have they audacity to declare a whole month to themselves for attention seeking and baiting.

6 minutes ago, Califorum said:

The whole 'pride' month has nothing more to it other than people claiming to be equal, while they have they audacity to declare a whole month to themselves for attention seeking and baiting.

So we go from Taylor Swift being a shill to "pride month is attention whoring". Nice little shift in the conversation there.