Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Cartoon Network vs. Nickelodeon.

CastletonSnob

The network.

As a kid, nick toons came across as just plain weird. Having early mornings be crammed with nick jr. shows didn't help.  

CN had shows that were funnier and more action packed. That and they also had Toonami, the gateway to Anime for millions of American youth. 

Cartoon Network was simply the cool kids channel. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I watched a lot of both as a kid, in all honesty. :P I have a hard time really gauging which network I prefer because I honestly don't know. I watched CN shows like Courage, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and Dexter's Lab and also Nick reruns of shows like Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats, My Life as a Teenage Robot, and SpongeBob. Though if I really had to say which I ended up preferring, I'd have to go with CN mostly because of all of the mediocre shows there were on Nick at the time like All Grown Up and Mr. Meaty.

Edited by ~Angel Dust~
  • Brohoof 1

Definitely a Nick kid, in fact in my area, we didn't even have Cartoon Network for our cable package, I didn't get access to CN until about 5th grade. But even then, apart from a few things(Toonami, Adult Swim, a few others like the DC shows and Megas XLR), Nick's shows just appealed to me more(including most of the live action stuff, though that went downhill after Drake and Josh ended)

• Brohoof 1

Until fifth grade or so Cartoon Network was just outside of the range of our cable. I could watch it sometimes but it would have a lot of static. So technically I grew up with Nick more than CN, BUT I much preferred CN shows and was really tired of most Nick shows by the time we finally got CN properly in. The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Ed, Edd & Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog were quickly my favorite cartoons and that has stayed with me ever since. Although I did come back and like some later Nick shows - Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents... The 90s Nick shows aren't my favorites.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't watched either in years, but as a kid and in my early teens, I always preferred CN. The classic cartoons included in their schedule back then (especially the Looney Tunes) were the first thing on CN that I really enjoyed, then a little later I got into their original shows. While I did watch some of the Nickelodeon shows at times and liked a couple of them, they never quite impressed me in the same way for some reason... Also, the live-action shows never appealed to me, so that's another reason why CN was my choice. :)

• Brohoof 4

Cartoon Network for this pone.  None of the Nickelodeon shows during my youth really resonated with me.  Always felt CN had the better variety and evolved a lot more smoothly.  Starting with the old school Tom and Jerry, Loney Toons, Flintsontes, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, etc.  Then rolled into the Cartoon Cartoon era and Toonami.  Weekend mornings were dominated by Fox Kids and WB Kids, then CN the rest of the afternoons into the evening when Toonami took over.  

• Brohoof 1

I watched a lot more Cartoon Network than Nickelodeon as a kid. I suppose that's because their shows appealed more to me, though Nickelodeon did have some rather entertaining content as well - even though a lot of them really weren't my cup of tea. The last time I watched either of them was when I was ten or eleven, so I can't exactly remember all the details.

From about 2000 to 2003, I was watching a lot of reruns of the real Cartoon Network shows like Powerpuff Girls to Courage the Cowardly Dog. Those shows that aired in the 90s were the most memorable ones, especially with the bumpers that had the characters interact with each other like actors at work, those were clever. But after the poor attempt of live-action shows, I left.

But from 2001 to about 2007, I also saw Nickelodeon shows from Spongebob  (The classics up to about Season 4/5), Fairly OddParents  (Up to shortly after Poof was born. He didn't ruin the show. I simply lost interest. Had I stayed until Sparky or Chole, I would have rage quit) Jimmy Neutron (Actually saw All but one or two episodes, never heard of or Planet Sheen until years later) Danny Phantom  (saw all but the Finale with my own eyes) and many Teenage Robot episodes. Also Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide was a funny live-action show that taught me about love triangles and how relationships can change over time in addition to general school tips.

Always been more of a CN kind of person. Nick had some good shows back in the day, as did Cartoon Network. But CN was always my go to. Even now, CN is what I usually turn to if I want a good cartoon. Both channels have some garbage on them even now, but honestly the only show doing it for me currently on nick is The Loud House. Which is sad cause I liked a good handful from Nick growing up. CN just does it better imo, back then and even currently. <except those god awful CN live shows.> destroybuilddestroy my faith in the channel.

2 hours ago, Envy said:

Until fifth grade or so Cartoon Network was just outside of the range of our cable. I could watch it sometimes but it would have a lot of static. So technically I grew up with Nick more than CN, BUT I much preferred CN shows and was really tired of most Nick shows by the time we finally got CN properly in. The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Ed, Edd & Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog were quickly my favorite cartoons and that has stayed with me ever since. Although I did come back and like some later Nick shows - Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents... The 90s Nick shows aren't my favorites.

That was pretty much my situation. Nick was really the only one of the two on our cable package at the time, so I grew up with the basic Nicktoons. Occasionally we'd get CN like for some sort of special purpose, but it was limited. Eventually we finally got Cartoon Network permanently and that eventually grabbed my mind with DBZ and Gundam Wing blowing my mind at the time. XD

Cartoon network followed by fox kids

-Johnny bravo

-Dexter

-the cow and the chicken

These were what i used to watch more. In fox kids i used to fight with my sister when i wanted to see digimon and she wanted to see top 50 on mtv waiting for the back street boys on the 13th place :angry:

So i dropped digimon and never knew what happened after puppetmon untill some moths ago.

In resume, cartoon network was better for me :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

I spent more time on Nick over all, but leaned towards Cartoon Network when I was older. It could have depended on the scheduling because there were shows on both I watched regularly.

Surprised you didn't bring Disney Channel into this as well. 

I wasn't allowed to watch CN when I was real little for whatever reason, so I ended up watching a lot of Nic. As I got older i found that toonami had a good line up of shows

But I missed out on Ed edd and eddy, which my mother had a particular grudge against for some reason

(edited)

Cartoon Network. I grew up on Courage The Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Dexter's Laboratory, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry.... 

Those are some good memories. :D

Edited by Lucky Bolt

I was almost exclusively a CN kid. In fact, I didn’t start watching Nick consistently until I was about 12 or something :huh:. In fact, the other channel that actually competed with CN personally was Fox Kids :mlp_icwudt:

Nickelodeon, for sure.

I'm old so I remember Mister Wizard, Double Dare (and all the other versions of it before the POS that is 2000), Gullah Gullah Island, and some other awesome amazing shows that didn't teeter towards "fart jokes" and "poop jokes". It was just an easier time to enjoy things. Our minds evolve and while there is still some good programming on Nickelodeon (yes, I said it)...Nickelodeon was better than CN, imo. I don't think CN was horrible, but my ADHD mind would not go to another channel except for Game Shows if I couldn't get Nickelodeon on at that time. O_o

I mostly watched Cartoon Network, although there were a couple of great shows on Nickelodeon that I loved at the time such as Spongebob, iCarly, Drake and Josh, etc.

More of a cartoon network guy back in the days. I can't stand some of Nickelodeon cartoons (aside from invader zim and spongebob)

Used to watch both back then, around the 90's and early 2000's. Now, I don't watch either of them (I only watch CN for Toonami, that's about it, really) because their qualities have tanked.

Back during the 90's I used to watch both in equal measure. But later on, I came away from Nickelodeon when they started changing their content to things that didn't interest me. And everything that remained were just reruns of the same shows with the same handful of episodes repeated over and over. From then on it was pretty much just Cartoon Network all the way. Mostly for Toonami later on, augmented by the weekend anime movies that were shown after midnight on the Sci Fi channel. :P

• Brohoof 1