Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E13 - Between Dark and Dawn

Will Guide

Episode Poll  

81 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• This episode is so boring, it makes a trip to the Museum look exciting (hate it)
    • This episode hurts like horrible sunburn (dislike it)
    • Like my vacation plans, I can't make my mind about this episode (meh)
    • Ah, finally an episode I can relax to as I rest (like it)
    • *While Ziplining* YAHOO! BEST EPISODE EVER! (LOVE IT!)

2 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I think Princess Celestia would get along great with Twilight Velvet.

Don't give me any ideas or I might just have to write that!

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, PoisonClaw said:

Don't give me any ideas or I might just have to write that!

They both LOVE zip lining & going down waterfalls in barrels. 

• Brohoof 3

Luna was my favorite part of this episode. No wonder she is best princess. :LunaMCM:

Anyways, the episode was pretty good, the thing I didn't really enjoy was that cliffhanger at the end.

Oh, and Luna's voice is adorable! :squee:

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

So Celestia is afraid of chickens, huh? She must have played too much Link to the Past and learned the hard way what happens when you attack a Cucco. She'd get along with Hiromu from Gobusters though.

That was ...spectacular. I'm still grinning! (it's starting to hurt, actually...) This was the episode I always dreamed of, and more! Forgive me if I end up watching this episode another five times or so. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 7

This was a good episode to me. I can relate to the two sisters very much, having traveled a lot with my family and friends. 

I feel like a few parts were a bit contrived, but the third Act more than made up for it. The bond between Celestia and Luna was adorable! This may be the best Celestia and Luna episode of the series.

• Brohoof 4

Not the best, not the worst. Still, such an episode should have happened ages ago.

Hot takes:

The hole is a sleeping wurm. Those spikes were teeth.

"Protecting the dreams" narrative is there just so that Luna has something to do. Slayers do not take casual vacations.

• Brohoof 1

The ending was hilarious! :love: 94532482_medium(3).jpeg.523a2c21ee91622cb340725c2c9ecb5b.jpeg This, here is one of the best faces in the show for me!

It was an awesome episode, one of the best this season for sure. I really liked celestia in this, its the most personality we have seen from the princesses ever, the comedy was great. The only nitpicks I have is the fight between them felt a bit forced to me and the parts at the castle were kinda boring but the rest was really great. We have seen cemeos of flim and flam, garble casper, zecora, the smooze with discord and others during the song, which was geat. 

• Brohoof 4

8 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

That's odd. I voted love it and only 1 person voted for love it. Is something wrong with the poll?

Yes, I accidentally fucked up the poll. Sorry.

• Brohoof 1

I've haven't been to speed with MLP of late as I have been focused on Aggretsuko and Codename: Kids Next Door (reliving childhood) as of late, but no matter. 

This episode was great. The tension of Celestia and Luna is highlighted as well as the pressure of the Mane Six when they're left to run Canterlot. Celestia and Luna also did alot of back and forth work assistance to Ponyville (i.e. getting things out of the way before retirement). Clearly shows that alot of work needs to be done before Twilight becomes head-of-state. I'm surprised how some the places the princesses visited people didn't mind them. Also, anyone else notice the tension between Princess Twilight and Prince Blueblood? Seems like he doesn't trust her somewhat even though Celestia and Luna 

Other than that, a good episode of the season by far. 

(edited)

I really don't like what's happened to Celestia in recent seasons. I get that people want her to have more personality (for some reason), but stuff like this and Horse Play push it way too far. The reason outbursts of personality worked before was because they weren't common. It was surprising to see her enjoy the Gala in The Best Night Ever because we haven't seen that side of her before. But by now, nothing Celestia does is surprising. All that's left is an underlying feeling that this behavior doesn't fit this character.

And that's part of what ruins this episode for me. It's just one big reminder of how far this character has fallen. I don't really have as much of a problem with Luna since she has shown her more enthusiastic side since Luna Eclipsed, but she's not nearly as good here as she was there.

Another thing that ruins this episode is how boring it is. This episode seems to think that just having Celestia and Luna be really enthusiastic and over the top is enough to be entertaining. But it's not. Just having Celestia scream "Zipline" and then make a wacky face is not enough. There are a few funny moments like Luna wanting to go to the Post Office, but even then it's not that funny. 

The actual story behind all of that is way too reminiscent of Road to Friendship. There are differences, but not enough to distract me from the feeling that I should just watch that episode instead. Celestia and Luna's falling out is fine, but it's nothing that good and it add anything to the episode.

As for the stuff with Twilight and the others, it makes no sense. It's supposed to be a part of the arc with the mane six preparing to lead Equestria, but it's pointless because Twilight should know about delegating already. She was Celestia's student for a long time so I think it's reasonable to assume that Twilight knows a bit about what Celestia does. Even looking at it as a comedy it fails. Characters panic. That's it. I like some of the absurdity with this random ceremony, but it's not pushed far enough to be funny and the joke is more about the characters panicking. 

Score: 3/10

Edited by bigbertha
  • Brohoof 4

3 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Every party needs a pooper, I guess.

Especially if your name starts with a B and ends with ertha

• Brohoof 2

Sounds about right. Say, how exactly did the poll get skewed?

I deleted (like it) accidentally and replaced (love it) with (like it) to keep the order the same.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, bigbertha said:

really don't like what's happened to Celestia in recent seasons. I get that people want her to have more personality (for some reason), but stuff like this and Horse Play push it way too far. The reason outbursts of personality worked before was because they weren't common. It was surprising to see her enjoy the Gala in The Best Night Ever because we haven't seen that side of her before. But by now, nothing Celestia does is surprising. All that's left is an underlying feeling that this behavior doesn't fit this character.

I disagree with the idea that her behavior doesn't fit the character. Celestia has certainly gotten more excitable and energetic in recent seasons but I think that makes perfect sense. At the beginning of the series she was coming off of just having ruled all of Equestria by herself for a thousand years, after having been forced to banish her own sister. Now she has her little sister back, she doesn't have to rule on her own, she's getting to see her student succeed and reach greater heights again and again, and now she's getting close to her own retirement, where she won't have to worry about any of the stresses of royal life. It makes perfect sense that her playful and cheerful side would become more and more obvious, to me it shows she's in a much happier place than she was at the start of the series.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 5

Anyway to fix or undo it?

Without deleting the poll and having people recast their votes, no.

Admins can remove votes, I think, but I'm not sure of other things.

Just now, BastementSparkle said:

I disagree with the idea that her behavior doesn't fit the character. Celestia has certainly gotten more excitable and energetic in recent seasons but I think that makes perfect sense. At the beginning of the series she was coming off of just having ruled all of Equestria by herself for a thousand years, after having been forced to banish her own sister. Now she has her little sister back, she doesn't have to rule on her own, she's getting to see the student succeed and reach greater heights again and again, and now she's getting close to her own retirement, where she won't have to worry about any of the stresses of royal life. It makes perfect sense that her playful and cheerful side would become more and more obvious, to me it shows she's in a much happier place than she was at the start of the series.

Exactly. It makes her feel much like an actual person.

Just now, TheTaZe said:

Without deleting the poll and having people recast their votes, no.

Ok, then. That's not too bad.