Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E13 - Between Dark and Dawn

Will Guide

Episode Poll  

81 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• This episode is so boring, it makes a trip to the Museum look exciting (hate it)
    • This episode hurts like horrible sunburn (dislike it)
    • Like my vacation plans, I can't make my mind about this episode (meh)
    • Ah, finally an episode I can relax to as I rest (like it)
    • *While Ziplining* YAHOO! BEST EPISODE EVER! (LOVE IT!)

2 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Exactly. It makes her feel much like an actual person.

Celestia being excited is refreshing. Like, they are actually doing something with her character after 9 seasons of her sitting on the sidelines.

I really enjoyed seeing Celestia and Luna together! And I especially love learning the new things about both of them! It was a delight seeing what they like and what they wish for out from their ideal break. Their dynamic is really funny and, yeah, sometimes it's hard being siblings. The song was pretty cute, I enjoy songs with a jazzy flair, but I loved the callback overload in it, lol. From locations to surprise cameos like Gabby and Capper and the Smooze, it was possibly my highlight of the episode.

I'll admit that I didn't like it as much as what I wanted to, but this is just first impressions. Fancy Pants suddenly being all snobby caught me off-guard, but maybe my bias for best stallion is showing a little. ...Okay maybe a lot. :laugh: Also, I really loved the World Turtle mythology reference in the beginning of the episode. MLP just never stops impressing me with its shoutouts to obscure mythos.

Not much else to say, they're solid episodes all round! :sunbutt::orly:

• Brohoof 2

I loved this episode. It was a lot of fun to watch, and it’s easily one of my favorite episodes of the season.
I agree with people who say it’s high time we got something like this about the Royal Sisters, especially since it’s been done in the comics a while ago. But it was worth the wait.
The post office scene is pure gold, and I loved the princesses’ new styles, especially the gothic Celestia - something I never knew I wanted to see. Oh, and the Mane Six plot line was funny too, particularly the “Reeealy?” line delivered by Fancy Pants.
So, it was a great ending of the first part of the season. Can’t wait for what’s next.

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

That's odd. I voted love it and only 1 person voted for love it. Is something wrong with the poll?

I know TheTaze already answered this, but just a few minutes ago, I saw the poll had two "like it" and five "LOVE IT!" :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

Since it has two sisters bonding with each other, I love this episode so much! ^^

Really good jokes, awesome song and I love that it pretty much shows us more of their personalities shine through here. Celestia all about the excitement, Luna being more down to earth and loves mailing lol (and plays).

Chill episodes tend to be hit or miss for me this season, but this is the right way to do it! ^^

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, ChB said:

I know TheTaze already answered this, but just a few minutes ago, I saw the poll had two "like it" and five "LOVE IT!" :laugh:

I loved it and now it's showing "like". 

25 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Without deleting the poll and having people recast their votes, no.

Admins can remove votes, I think, but I'm not sure of other things.

Remove votes? You can do that?

Joshscorcher is going to love this one.

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic
  • Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

I loved it and now it's showing "like".

I voted like and it changed to love it.

Trade Ya! ^_^ 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Can I vote again?

Once the mods/admins take care of it.

I’ve seen it fixed before, so don’t worry.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just...not gonna think too hard about the fact Luna flinched when Celestia raised her hoof and voice to her...

This was a fantastic Royal Sisters episode, but an atrocious Main 6 episode, since Twilight forgets the lessons she's learned about delegating and asking for help

• Brohoof 2

MLP Between Dark and Dawn

I liked this episode. Celestia and Luna desperately need to work on their bonding. I get the impression that Celestia and Luna don’t spend much time together at all because they have different shifts in the night and day which would explain their issues in “Royal Problem”. It was sort of heartbreaking to see them fight in the middle of the episode. They both need to feel needed. I like how their different ideas for a vacation fit perfectly with their characters. Luna needs to get out of the dream world way more. She seems quite isolated judging from the post office scene. As for Twilight, she’s still panicking I see…but I’m glad she got to learn that does actually take a village to run Equestria and she can ask for help. It’s fascinating how the amulet can control the sun and moon. I hope who raises the sun and moon after Celestia and Luna retire gets better addressed this season. The main thing I disliked was Fancy Pants saying Rarity’s choices were not high class enough by his actions and rude comments.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

The main thing I disliked was Fancy Pants saying Rarity’s choices were not high class enough by his actions and rude comments.

I'd take the word of someone who knows what he's doing over someone who doesn't

What if the geese didn't like Rarity's choices?

Can I say that I feel like we got pulled a bait and switch? The synopsis made it sound like the focus was going to be on Twilight and Co. managing Equestria, but instead we got an episode mostly about the Princesses and their vacation. 

The vacation parts were okay (the song in fact was really good) but the Mane 6 parts felt like a tedious retread of things they’ve already learned.

Do I need another rewatch? I feel like I’m missing something about this episode that most people are readily getting. I want to like this episode, but so far the flawed parts stand out more than the good parts. 

• Brohoof 1

Wait, written by who? Interesting!

I thought this was fun. I would say that I enjoyed almost all of the jokes, and the song in particular was wonderful. I think this one feels a little redundant in several areas - learning to appreciate your sister is something that has been done, as is learning to delegate tasks and not take everything on yourself - so I wasn't especially invested in the plot, but the details here are consistently cute and funny. I still wish that the animators would calm down with the faces, because I find them very hit and miss; some, like Twilight's face when she realizes she needs to delegate, are hilarious, whereas others are just kind of weird and distracting. The animation quirks took me out of the story quite often, frankly. But I love Celestia and Luna's sisterly dynamic, and I especially love how their jobs made them want different vacations; by contrast, the mane six stuff is pleasant, and watching them struggle makes it easier to accept the idea that they will become the sole rulers of Equestria, but it doesn't have nearly as much novelty. "Party Pooped" from season 5 is still my preferred take on the mane six struggling with politics. Meanwhile, I don't know if the Celestia/Luna storyline is necessarily better than the previous takes on that subject - "Sisterhooves Social," for example - but the show's more mature style is still welcome, even if I wish it were less predictable. Regardless, at this point in the show, I'm willing to take it just being super charming, and I had a lot of fun with this one. This is a good season so far. 

And seriously, the music this season is so much better than it's been in years. Rhyming "absconding" with "vagabonding" is just delightful.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely going to have to side with only liking because of the Mane 6 portion, felt really pointless and the only saving grace was Fancy Pants still showing you can be an assertive Canterlot citizen without being snobby.

However watching the sisters just be sisters is such a treat, and holy cow the fan service this episode! And no I don't mean the kind of fan service by giving into what the fandom wanted, (I mean there was that) but no this is an episode that rewards you for just watching and being a fan of the show. The cameos, the set pieces, the references, the entire episode is just dripping with things you will remember.

For me I felt maybe even an unintentional callback to Season 2's "It's About Time" with the Princess's first "adventurous outings" are stopping a rampaging monster and then fixing the Ponyville bridge just like Twilight did.

I was surprised when this just cut out with the princesses returning to the castle. I guess they're not wasting time showing us stuff we already know, but this episode makes me very curious how they're going to handle the "Twilight takes over for the princesses" thing in the second half. I have questions about how that whole plotline fits what we saw in the earlier seasons, but I'm prepared to put them aside as long as I'm having fun. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Celestia is a crazy thrill-seeker & Luna is the calm, quiet one. As if I needed more reasons why Princess Luna is my favorite original Princess. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

I love this episode, :D  Holy shit Celestia and Luna are helping, now they make Twilight and co uncomfortable. Celestia and Luna spent time with each other. Rainbow Dash gave Twilight a dirty look, love it. Twilight learned how to delegate, less awesome, but okay I take it.

• Brohoof 2