Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How long can you look at the Sun?

DivineMist1000

Seriously, this is not advisable. (Altho we've all done it as a kid.) When I went to do my eye test last year (every 2 years, as I have spectacles and the prescription may need changing, leaving aside wear and tear on the specs) she found a burn scar on my right retina, no idea when it happened but I'll make a guess it was the sun's reflection off a car window or windscreen.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

When u gaze at the sun long enough the sun gazes back. Therefore don't look at the sun as it is too hot already. But yeah I can look at the sun for at least 2 min.

Edited by Sroka001
  • Brohoof 1

As long as I like up until the moment it turns me permenantly blind. So I don't stare at the sun. I kind of need my eyes in working order right now. :mlp_blink:

The moon on the other hand. I could stare at that all night. Sends me a bit giddy and mad. But the moon is something I could stare at forever. :-P

• Brohoof 3

Hardly at all without a sunglasses. I literally can’t stand sunlight due to having headaches from it. Also I wouldn’t suggest staring at the sun without any UV protection..

• Brohoof 1

Is this a contest for stupidity? I don't look at the sun often because I don't want to get cataracts.

• Brohoof 1

I've looked at the sun for about 30 seconds long at one time using protective glasses (NASA approved) during a full solar eclipse. It was a phenomenal experience, and I don't remember there being a single cloud in the sky when it occurred.

As for looking at the sun directly without any eye protection, I've only done that for 1 second long by accident. I haven't tried to do it any longer than that as it could inflict eye damage.

• Brohoof 1

I have tried it, back when I didn't know any better. I stared at it for at least 4 to 5 seconds, before my parents intervened. Luckily it happened when it did, or who knows what could've happened.

(edited)

Depends on what time of day it is. During the morning, or during the evening, when the sun is on the horizon, it has to pass through a lot more atmosphere in order to reach your eyeballs. All that atmosphere attenuates (weakens) the strength of the sun's light, which makes it easier to stare at the sun.

So, during midday, I can't stare at it at all. But during sunset or sunrise, I can stare at it for almost an hour. Until it gets too bright. :P

(But yeah staring at the sun is pretty bad for your eyesight, so I wouldn't recommend doing it for too long)

Edited by Meson Bolt