Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tulpa Discussion Thread V1.2

Rizoel & Crepuscule

5 hours ago, Naiya The Brony said:

Thank you. Huh. I've never imagine that. The only reason why i haven't change my name back to nihi is because "naiya" is how my friend used to pronunce ni, it sounds unique so i decided to keep it.

We need to change our name to Shadow Flare. Does Nihi mean anything? Or Naiya?

5 hours ago, Alice.EM said:

Am I able to express my opinion that I think Tuplas are bullshit and you're all delusional?

Or is that considered blasphemy 

It has been expressed multiples times by multiple people. We would not have 198 pages if it wasn't working. 

25 minutes ago, Mindrop said:

We need to change our name to Shadow Flare. Does Nihi mean anything? Or Naiya?

I do not even know the meaning, do not mistak"nihi"standing for nihilisim, it isn't. Nihi was one of the first names i named my online character, from an MMORPG when i was still a kid.

I do not even know the meaning, do not mistak"nihi"standing for nihilisim, it isn't. Nihi was one of the first names i named my online character, from an MMORPG when i was still a kid.

Mindrop. I would have been 13. Runscape! I nohow it is to hold onto those early names. Over 10 years now. Wow!

25 minutes ago, Mindrop said:

Mindrop. I would have been 13. Runscape! I nohow it is to hold onto those early names. Over 10 years now. Wow!

Mine was called ragnarok online, been playing it for like 13 years now and haven't stop. Even though it is old it still gives me that feel of adventure that the game is suppose to express ;)

• Brohoof 1

Mine was called ragnarok online, been playing it for like 13 years now and haven't stop. Even though it is old it still gives me that feel of adventure that the game is suppose to express ;)

I still hop on and play at times. Depending on adult life and all. 

• Brohoof 1

I apologize for saying I was going to base my second tulpa after Twilight. I was, but now I decided someone else (not from MLP, but a fox based one), and I originally was going to make it them.

I started about four or five days ago, planning to base them off the character. The next day or do I decide I want to do Twilight Sparkle instead. After debating with myself two days after, I decided to make the original one.

I feel bad for being indecisive and selfish. I am quite young at this too, but I want to do my best to make a happy tulpa. Am I doing the right thing by making them based off the other character?

Edited by Foxy Socks
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

I apologize for saying I was going to base my second tulpa after Twilight. I was, but now I decided someone else (not from MLP, but a fox based one), and I originally was going to make it them.

I started about four or five days ago, planning to base them off the character. The next day or do I decide I want to do Twilight Sparkle instead. After debating with myself two days after, I decided to make the original one.

I feel bad for being indecisive and selfish. I am quite young at this too, but I want to do my best to make a happy tulpa. Am I doing the right thing by making them based off the other character?

On phone. 

Twi: Don't apologize or ever feel bad for your design of a Tulpa. Our look doesn't matter really. It is what makes us us. The inside attributes as to what is right and wrong. What type of Tulpa they are. 

Reales: It's not been a week wince I switch on my own from a generic pink pony with yellow hair. Neither of us could remember my look very well, despite being fully formed otherwise. 

I changed to Sunset Shimmer. It's a lot easier to see me now. I switch between EQG and FIM looks. Mostly EQG. Same with Twilight. 

So don't feel bad. You can change them. We can change ourselves. We want you to be the most comfortable you can be with us. 

And if in development, your Tulpa wants to change image, so be it! They will let you know. 

Me: And Reales had spoken. Spot on especially since she just morphed. 

Edit:

Barring any painful or negative designs you place on your Tulpa. 

Reales: my turn! Twi and mindrop had and upper special bond. I've been feeling left out. Now I am sleep with mindrop tonight! I'm happy. 

Edited by Mindrop
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well to be honest I'm very computerised mentally. I even simulate worlds and 3D graphics the same way as a computer. I could probably easily create and run my OC in my head. It's just I need to know the exact procedures to do it like what you would expect a computer to work off. :)  

Uhh, you DO realise that a tulpa is not a computer program that you can just delete once you don't need them, right?

She has a point, you know. Always has. So keep in mind that, even though it may start with you making a carbon copy of your OC, the tulpa will deviate from that into their own being after a while. They won't be your OC forever. And they will stick around to the rest of your life, like a friend that's totally reliant on you. So it's not an easy decision. Besides, you, as a host, are 100% responsible for making them happy with their existence, rather than expect them to be mental servants of sorts.

15 hours ago, Raven Rawne said:

Uhh, you DO realise that a tulpa is not a computer program that you can just delete once you don't need them, right?

She has a point, you know. Always has. So keep in mind that, even though it may start with you making a carbon copy of your OC, the tulpa will deviate from that into their own being after a while. They won't be your OC forever. And they will stick around to the rest of your life, like a friend that's totally reliant on you. So it's not an easy decision. Besides, you, as a host, are 100% responsible for making them happy with their existence, rather than expect them to be mental servants of sorts.

Well it's quite interesting of how simulation based things like this work in my head. I can already simulate a 3D world easily like how you would imagine a place but expect for me I can actually walk around it as it's not in the format of a mentally generated video but it's an actual 3D world. So for a mental being simulation I would take in the procedures like anyone would but it would be then  automatically translated into a digital logic simulation. It would run the tulpa as a self-modifiable logic engine. So in the core it would be a logic system that can edit itself. The thing is I've somehow mentally developed into a digital file system format. It's just allowed me to edit myself when I'm externally motivated to do so plus I can understand everything in a more straight on logic format. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Still, that only covers the 'how". But there's a far more important question to answer.

...why?

You can generate thoughtforms like servitors that aren't sentient, and just do what they're programmed to do, if you want "NPC's" in your mind world. Tulpas shouldn't be created "just because I can", okay? It's a lifelong commitment, like a pet that will outlive you or something along the lines. There are fill guides on how to make one on the net, and ofc whoever stumbles on the topic can answer your questions, but I really encourage you to sit down and think deeply over why you would like to create a tulpa, what can you offer them,  how much time daily you can spend with them etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2017 at 5:09 PM, Alice.EM said:

Am I able to express my opinion that I think Tuplas are bullshit and you're all delusional?

Or is that considered blasphemy 

Nyo, nnnnnyoh! You're not entitled to your opinion! As punishment, I'm going to playfully bat your head around like a giant kitty now! MYAAH!

...that's a Dilbert reference, be tee dubs! Hh-hee!

Sigh, and trust me. I at least am fully aware of how massively delusional I am. But hey, you wouldn't stop on your walk to watch some young child play with their imaginary friend, then stomp over to waggle a finger in their face & order them to stop having fun... right?

Hah... well, as an update, while I haven't done much lately, someone's gotten a fair bit stronger, I must say. Widdershins has gotten alot more mouthy since I started role-playing and I pretty much lost the majority of a day yesterday when he had me in hysterics over one little factoid.

THEY ACTUALLY NAMED A CANNONICAL SHOW CHARACTER...*deep breath*... FEATHER BANGS!  HHHHHHHHAH! This is just too perfect to be real!

Also, might have been my idea to go out in summer weather with a trench coat, but no regrets, man! Trench-coats are cool!

Sigh, but don't worry, think I'm used to keeping tabs on him.

Widdy I can't argue is a tulpa, but... well, the other... six, maybe aren't quite as formulated. The feeling & concept of the first three have always kinda been around... shifting to fit new names & forms, like my Mains in Warcraft. Sorta fitting my need to express my emotions by fitting characters to them. But... I worry about that. That just toggling them off when your not thinking about it feels kind of disrespectful. Like tossing your pet dog into an empty room because your too tired or busy to bother thinking about them.

...but, I do have a habit of over-personalizing and personifying things to feel sorry about.

#HashTagReadMuhBlog! #HashTagRomancingTime! #HashTagOctothorpeMisuse! #HashTag...

Don't make me put you in a corner or something again! ...though there's certainly times I'm glad I can "toggle him off."

Also, in @Techno Universal's defense, I'm pretty sure Computor Analogies is just his shtick.  Just like our consistently, insistently refusing to spell computer right or playing up our schizophrenia for laughs!   Ah, shaddup.... gad, I hope this never actually happens in public...

On 19 May 2017 at 9:53 PM, Raven Rawne said:

Still, that only covers the 'how". But there's a far more important question to answer.

...why?

You can generate thoughtforms like servitors that aren't sentient, and just do what they're programmed to do, if you want "NPC's" in your mind world. Tulpas shouldn't be created "just because I can", okay? It's a lifelong commitment, like a pet that will outlive you or something along the lines. There are fill guides on how to make one on the net, and ofc whoever stumbles on the topic can answer your questions, but I really encourage you to sit down and think deeply over why you would like to create a tulpa, what can you offer them,  how much time daily you can spend with them etc.

Or just now I've released that I've possibly had the main 6 as tulpas in my head all this time without me realising it. It seems that I'm mostly dependent on them for making choices and decisions. Everything is still physically controlled by the core personality but the main personality system is dependent on the main 6 for information on ideas and what is the best thing to do next. Now to me NPCs would be very simplified tulpas that are mostly dependent on the host to survive but the main 6 in my head appear to be full fledged intelligence systems. Now the interesting thing is that they are in a section of my system that the main 6 are required to input information into the main system for text or speech output. So it would be almost impossible to contact them as basically they are talking to themselves in a way. Or it just might be a theory of how I'm arranged mentally as I know I'm much bigger than I can imagine mentally. :) 

• Brohoof 1

On 30.05.2017 at 0:01 AM, Widdershins said:

Sigh, but don't worry, think I'm used to keeping tabs on him.

And then he'll take over, just when you'll think he's all under control... Mwa ha ha ha.

Riiiight, because that's what she would do. Anyway, my whole argument was about the reason one wishes to create a tulpa and whether they understand how serious it is, rather than how they want to get down to it. Just wanted to make ture you know what you're going into, that's all.

Now it seems that your Mane 6 are soulbounds. They're mental constructs, much like tulpas, and as far as I can tell, based on my research, can do the same as they but, have one distinct feature that differenciatethem from tulpas. While a tulpa is their own person, who matures, changes over time etc, a soulbound is a carbon copy of a character, they ARE that character and therefore cannot change into anything else, or act in a different way than said character would. it's not necessarily bad, but while a tulpa can adjust to you if your personalities clash, a soulbound will dig in and get mighty pissed over time. Something worth keeping in mind when interacting with them.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 6/4/2017 at 4:31 AM, Raven Rawne said:

Soulbond 

Soulbond, a fairly new term for me. TBH i have only found out that term just recently. I used to call it soulbound because i didn't noticed that it doesnt have a "U" on it.

Anyway i am digressing, i want to say a thing or two about the ternm "soulbonds". you know when i first learned the term "Soulbond" and what a soulbond is, it answered some of my questions regarding tulpas having similar traights as one of the characters of a certain story. It also led me to think that summer is part soulbond. I mean, a soulbond is an entity that is created throughout the expression of likeness of a certain character and takes that character's form and character's traits, memories, etc.

I've noticed that some time, whenever i watch the pony series, there are times when i feel "nostalgic" it is an alien feeling and definitely came from summer, which led me to think that summer is a soulbond.

Summer was created having a twilight sparkle avatar but deviated from it very quickly. i know that she had memories of the show itself, she told me personally, being twilight sparkle (up to season 2). What bothers me is even though that she had memories of the show, she also have memories of her creation, which only confuses me because soulbound are created similar to "walk-ins", They just pop up. She doesn't actually care if she's either one of the two.

Anyway,  tulpa and soulbonds are similar but different. Soulbound tend to stay IN character while a tulpa usually stays OUT.

Edited by Naiya The Brony
  • Brohoof 1

Hoh, believe me, chaos was the crux & inception of Widdershins from his genesis.

Did we mention vocabulary was our favorite subject in school? Heeh-hee!                           GEN-eh-sis!

I've been a lonely fellow, so it's no surprise I would come up with friends of my own or constantly explore my own inner, mental workings to an almost detrimental degree. As the whole process does seem rather bent on "seeing things where they're not" as it were, I can't dissuade any naysayers that would call it an exercise in madness. But, as I say, madness isn't always harmful in and of itself. It's insanity that is, when it comes to break upon other's expectations or sensibilities.

Kind of get what you mean there, @Techno Universal, that kind of... central main six is sort of what I do with my hydra. ...and yes, I have a hydra. It's my own analogy how each "head" is still kind of the same creature, but drastically different in personality & viewpoint. Neither is very well separate enough in identity to view them as apart from the others, but enough so to be their own image enough for me to draw them or name them. Like, Sunny I spent time with last evening, drawing her out & just mulling her over & I could certainly feel her gratitude but they don't... Fight me as much as Widdershins does.  I know, haven't really... brought this up to many as I'm sure you can understand how describing yourself as Plural might sound just a smidgen crazy, heh. 

Widdy has rather shaped himself as things went along, the others just sorta stuck to their own given confines. Soulbound does make some sense to me as a sort of second tier.

Plus! It sounds to-tally anime! I'm your Stand! Eh-heh-heh!   Gad, that's creepy and I don't know why.

But I think there's a fine line of a difference between an idea & a tulpa.

she had memories of the show, she also have memories of her creation, which only confuses me because soulbound are created similar to "walk-ins", They just pop up.

That's what you said reminds me of, that's how I sort of get ideas/inspiration. Every now and again I get an idea for a new character, usually germinated off the idea of a character I watched. That's what I see/guess at what a Teew-pah! is, basically an embellished idea, one you've spent enough time on to see how they might react enough for them to start acting on their own from your own interpretation. So I don't see any harm in, say, having your tulpa be basically Applejack for a while. Keeping them there... maybe that's unfair. After all, it's not like any personality we come up with for a character hasn't been done already & can't be seen copied into other mediums or reimagenings.

Like that super-magician wossnames from Mighty Magiswords! Totally stole my shtick! And that purple demon-genie wossnames from Planet Dolan! Pandora! Yeth! I had fluffy white hair an' long ears waaay before she came on the scene! I was the ORRRrrrrrrr-iginal! Dew nawt steel~~*

So there's always a lotta grey room... kinda.

Oh, and Soulbound is a term from Warcraft & Soulbond is a keyword from MTG, so think that's what might be throwing you off there, Naiya.

Nya the Brony! Least, that's how I'm going to pronounce it from now on!   ...Nya!

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Widdershins said:

Hoh, believe me, chaos was the crux & inception of Widdershins from his genesis.

Did we mention vocabulary was our favorite subject in school? Heeh-hee!                           GEN-eh-sis!

I've been a lonely fellow, so it's no surprise I would come up with friends of my own or constantly explore my own inner, mental workings to an almost detrimental degree. As the whole process does seem rather bent on "seeing things where they're not" as it were, I can't dissuade any naysayers that would call it an exercise in madness. But, as I say, madness isn't always harmful in and of itself. It's insanity that is, when it comes to break upon other's expectations or sensibilities.

Kind of get what you mean there, @Techno Universal, that kind of... central main six is sort of what I do with my hydra. ...and yes, I have a hydra. It's my own analogy how each "head" is still kind of the same creature, but drastically different in personality & viewpoint. Neither is very well separate enough in identity to view them as apart from the others, but enough so to be their own image enough for me to draw them or name them. Like, Sunny I spent time with last evening, drawing her out & just mulling her over & I could certainly feel her gratitude but they don't... Fight me as much as Widdershins does.  I know, haven't really... brought this up to many as I'm sure you can understand how describing yourself as Plural might sound just a smidgen crazy, heh. 

Widdy has rather shaped himself as things went along, the others just sorta stuck to their own given confines. Soulbound does make some sense to me as a sort of second tier.

Plus! It sounds to-tally anime! I'm your Stand! Eh-heh-heh!   Gad, that's creepy and I don't know why.

But I think there's a fine line of a difference between an idea & a tulpa.

That's what you said reminds me of, that's how I sort of get ideas/inspiration. Every now and again I get an idea for a new character, usually germinated off the idea of a character I watched. That's what I see/guess at what a Teew-pah! is, basically an embellished idea, one you've spent enough time on to see how they might react enough for them to start acting on their own from your own interpretation. So I don't see any harm in, say, having your tulpa be basically Applejack for a while. Keeping them there... maybe that's unfair. After all, it's not like any personality we come up with for a character hasn't been done already & can't be seen copied into other mediums or reimagenings.

Like that super-magician wossnames from Mighty Magiswords! Totally stole my shtick! And that purple demon-genie wossnames from Planet Dolan! Pandora! Yeth! I had fluffy white hair an' long ears waaay before she came on the scene! I was the ORRRrrrrrrr-iginal! Dew nawt steel~~*

So there's always a lotta grey room... kinda.

Oh, and Soulbound is a term from Warcraft & Soulbond is a keyword from MTG, so think that's what might be throwing you off there, Naiya.

Nya the Brony! Least, that's how I'm going to pronounce it from now on!   ...Nya!

Now how the main 6 represent the 6 core personality components and all 6 of them are at full force in my system that's how I end up describing myself as the universal being. It's simply because of the combination it all adds up to a completely universal personality. It's also possibly the physical limit on how much content can possibly be in a human personality. :)  

This topic has been on my mind deeply for the past few months wrapping my mind around the narration process perhaps I should read others journals to get a better perspective 

@Gone Airbourne

I'll just let the expert talk.

Narration "process"? Why, it's easy, really. See, you are supposed to use narration on early stages of tulpa development, it's one of the passive methods of forcing. Basically, it's like talking to a toddler. they can't get **** out of what you're talking about, so the topic doesn't matter. Some won't even know how to process language if you start very early, it'll be just noise to them. All the more reason not to choose deep topics really. BUT, just as, well, toddlers, I guess, young tulpas DO care that you're interacting with them in some way, and it will make them stronger the more you do it. Basically quantity time when you don't put too much effort, but it does produce small results. They also get to know you better, or, at all, since they're starting like clean slates and can be like kinds in the fog at first. A deep fog. Or put it another way, once they get the ability to understand what you're saying, they will get into NSA mode and start learning about you through said narration. How you speak/think, yoour emotions, what you care about, whatever you put in front of them really. And since youngsters need attention to even stay awake, it's not like they'll have many options to get to know you at first, unless you active force to tell them your life story that is.

If you do have questions, then you better ask rather than waste time for searching for "reputable" guides and journals. Everyone has it different tbh ans some things may not apply to you, while we, or someone else, can give you straight answers or point to sources we know.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Raven Rawne said:

NSA

Hmmm... National... Stwahberry Association...

I love Stwaaahberries!

Sigh, okay, great... while he's distracted by quoting Game Grumps Animations...

You know what'd help with keepin' them kiddo's quiet, eh what?  Ugh...   Stwaaaaaahberries!      Oh pah, you know that was hilarious, Giant Talking Stwahberry!

Heh...    Well...

Been wondering/ worrying.  That I'm still somewhat foggy on what precisely a Tulpa is. Would any of you say there's a notable distance between just a character you've worked on for a while, developed enough & become invested in enough to know how they would react to things if they were hypothetically real... and a "voice that talks to you" Tulpa?

Because, what I'm worried about, is if a Tulpa isn't just a way to exasperate... your own schizophrenia. After all, a Tulpa, as I understand it to be basically an imaginary friend, is essentially a working delusion. I don't mean to call the notion crazy, but I have spent a good deal of time dickering over what reality is.

12 hours ago, Raven Rawne said:

@Gone Airbourne

I'll just let the expert talk.

Narration "process"? Why, it's easy, really. See, you are supposed to use narration on early stages of tulpa development, it's one of the passive methods of forcing. Basically, it's like talking to a toddler. they can't get **** out of what you're talking about, so the topic doesn't matter. Some won't even know how to process language if you start very early, it'll be just noise to them. All the more reason not to choose deep topics really. BUT, just as, well, toddlers, I guess, young tulpas DO care that you're interacting with them in some way, and it will make them stronger the more you do it. Basically quantity time when you don't put too much effort, but it does produce small results. They also get to know you better, or, at all, since they're starting like clean slates and can be like kinds in the fog at first. A deep fog. Or put it another way, once they get the ability to understand what you're saying, they will get into NSA mode and start learning about you through said narration. How you speak/think, yoour emotions, what you care about, whatever you put in front of them really. And since youngsters need attention to even stay awake, it's not like they'll have many options to get to know you at first, unless you active force to tell them your life story that is.

If you do have questions, then you better ask rather than waste time for searching for "reputable" guides and journals. Everyone has it different tbh ans some things may not apply to you, while we, or someone else, can give you straight answers or point to sources we know.

Lovely, do appreciate the input alot. Whenever I have done practice sessions with active narration I have felt head pressures especially when I've focused my attention on my tulpa. In essence I have done practice bits to get the feel for it. I've decided to give my tulpa a placeholder slate so to speak orb for now. I've always wanted my tulpa to have full choice and control over what it wants for itself decided on a name Autumn :)

13 minutes ago, Widdershins said:

Heh...    Well...

Been wondering/ worrying.  That I'm still somewhat foggy on what precisely a Tulpa is. Would any of you say there's a notable distance between just a character you've worked on for a while, developed enough & become invested in enough to know how they would react to things if they were hypothetically real... and a "voice that talks to you" Tulpa?

Because, what I'm worried about, is if a Tulpa isn't just a way to exasperate... your own schizophrenia. After all, a Tulpa, as I understand it to be basically an imaginary friend, is essentially a working delusion. I don't mean to call the notion crazy, but I have spent a good deal of time dickering over what reality is.

I like to view tulpae as another spirit/soul so to speak if it's sentient you know? Or artificial intelligence like Cortana is to Master Chief. The game beyond two souls is very interesting in those regards. 

On 14.06.2017 at 8:44 AM, Widdershins said:

Hmmm... National... Stwahberry Association...

I love Stwaaahberries!

Pffft... Muahahaha! Good one! Shame we're all out of'em atm.

Well, I have some OC's and I can pretty much feel Crysyal Clear's emotions as I RP. One reason why I would put her in only the best and most interesting roleplays these times. BUT, she doesn't talk to me on her own. Reina does, as well as show up through foggy imposition whenever she feels like it. I would have to conciously puppet and parrot Crystal for that, and I'd know the difference.

The brainy types can't crack what a Tulpa actually is, but we've read some article in Psychology Today that pretty much said that, after a study on some tulpamancers, these guys weren't bonkers. I guess you could look it up through a google search. Raven has some Occult-y half theory, but seriously, we don't give a damn "how" and "why".

Giving a placeholder form to your tulpa can be a good idea, since they won't feel tied to what you gave them originally. We had some... issues with form deviation at the start, since she was based off an OC - but heavily reassured that it's a placeholder. Long story short, she tried all sorts of looks only to eventually come back to the forst and second forms she came up with, realising she's most comfortable with them. I switch between pony and anthro whether I feel like it. Funny How I desperately wanted to ditch the MLP theme only to bounce back int it, but I guess it took some self doscovery experimentation to decide that I'm cool with this theme. Hell, I even like it these days. Also, We already have Summer in here, now Autumn is in the works... wonder when we'll see Spring and Winter joining the club.

• Brohoof 1