Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tulpa Discussion Thread V1.2

Rizoel & Crepuscule

Well, Ariel's recently mentioned feeling my heartbeat when she possesses me, so hm. I guess when a tulpa possesses you, they can be very aware of your body, and things that you may not notice.

Anyway, I've been trying to visit the wonderland more often. Now Ariel has set up a computer there as a 'fresh' new means of being able to access my memories. And when she's scrolling through, it looks like a Tumblr dash.

A Tumblr. Dashboard. Ariel, why.

[Well, hey, you seem to love it so much. :P]

• Brohoof 2

Why a computer? Is it symbolic? Is there symbolism to a wonderland?

She just wanted something different, that's all. :P

She said that she didn't want the 'boring old jar' I had given her before to hold my memories. I mean, heck, she went ahead and put that computer right into the wonderland - and without my notice at first! Then I look, and see her browsing through the Tumblr of my memories.

Is pre-programming a tulpa with an appearance and personality similar to how our personality and appearance are initially dictated (at least a little) by our DNA? I'm trying to decide if it's rational to have an ethical dilemma over that.

Is pre-programming a tulpa with an appearance and personality similar to how our personality and appearance are initially dictated (at least a little) by our DNA? I'm trying to decide if it's rational to have an ethical dilemma over that.

'Pre-programming' a tulpa with a form and personality is hardly unethical. Deciding a form and personality from the beginning is more giving a base to work with rather than setting anything in stone. Chances are the tulpa will deviate anyway, modifying (and sometimes completely changing) the form you gave them and creating something more ideal. Same for personality. Ariel is hardly anything like the list of traits I initially gave her, actually, but she has a far more interesting personality for it, one that clicks with me.

'Pre-programming' a tulpa with a form and personality is hardly unethical. Deciding a form and personality from the beginning is more giving a base to work with rather than setting anything in stone. Chances are the tulpa will deviate anyway, modifying (and sometimes completely changing) the form you gave them and creating something more ideal. Same for personality. Ariel is hardly anything like the list of traits I initially gave her, actually, but she has a far more interesting personality for it, one that clicks with me.

The way I see it, it's like a parent raising a child.  Before they have the chance to understand and decide things for themselves, you act as a guide to their behavior, which will invariably lead to them developing personality traits based on how you guided them.  Once they can think for themselves however, they can decide on new preferences and deviate.  But there's still a certain comfort and familiarity with the facets of how you were raised, and odds are you're still likely to keep a fair amount of those traits.

• Brohoof 2

Can palm readers, numerologists, etc. detect tulpas? I don't mean like "seeing/hearing/perceiving your tulpa". I know that a lot of that stuff involves confirmation bias and vagueness that could apply to anyone. I'm thinking that the reader will make a vague claim, I'll apply it to my tulpa(s), and somehow they'll figure things out (possibly because I'd be visibly anxious).

I have talked to numerologists and palm readers, and I even know a decent amount about that myself, as head of my college's magic, mythology, and mysticism club. So, in my informed opinion, I would say no. Palm reading, for example, is based on making inferences about you/your lifestyle based on marks on/the condition of your hands, as well as normal social cues. So, they wouldn't know more than anyone else in regards to an alternate personality that does nothing physically with your body.

Numerology is not nearly as accurate as palm reading, and they wouldn't know either.

I got a tarot reading once, and it was scary how accurate it was about my relationship with Rainbow Dash (the reading said that I was helping/guiding someone, or was going to do that. I could have been a victim of some form of bias, but I couldn't and can't think of anything else that the reading could apply to).

I hope palm reading is inaccurate for me. It basically said I'm screwed and have no hope in life and should commit suicide because my life is going to always suck. 

None of my tulpae want me dead for obvious reasons. 

Is it normal for tulpae to defy laws of physics, or do they have to have that ability in them? The Pinkie Pie tulpa is like Pinkie Pie which includes breaking physics. I'm wondering if that's normal for her to be able to do it, or if she's able to do it because she's Pinkie Pie.

The others don't break physics. Maybe Applejack could have, but I didn't do any research to check if things she did was possible or not. 

Is it normal for tulpae to defy laws of physics, or do they have to have that ability in them? The Pinkie Pie tulpa is like Pinkie Pie which includes breaking physics. I'm wondering if that's normal for her to be able to do it, or if she's able to do it because she's Pinkie Pie.

The others don't break physics. Maybe Applejack could have, but I didn't do any research to check if things she did was possible or not.

Technically, any tulpa can break physics, because their bodies aren't bound to the physical world and its laws. But usually, tulpae will act as if they DO have to comply by the laws of physics, at least in my experience.

A Pinkie tulpa will probably break physics as often as possible, because it's Pinkie Pie. That's to be expected. :P

Wouldn't a Pinkie tulpa only try to break physics if she had Pinkie's interest in breaking the laws of physics, as opposed to just the form of Pinkie Pie?

[Yeah. I'm not all that athletic, and I was based on Rainbow Dash. Wonderbolts, Schmonderbolts.]

Now that I think about it, I help him work out. I'm not really sure if that's "athletic" though.]

Edited by KruegerMeister

Wouldn't a Pinkie tulpa only try to break physics if she had Pinkie's interest in breaking the laws of physics, as opposed to just the form of Pinkie Pie?

[Yeah. I'm not all that athletic, and I was based on Rainbow Dash. Wonderbolts, Schmonderbolts.]

Now that I think about it, I help him work out. I'm not really sure if that's "athletic" though.]

Pinkie is pretty much Pinkie from the show with only a few differences. 

Here's some stuff that just happened, copied/pasted from my PR log:

I apologized for not logging any of the things that had happened between this morning and 8:00PM.

[We didn't really do much.]

(Irrelevant stuff)

{I feel like I'm not doing enough.}

Like I keep telling you guys, neither of you is obliged to do anything. Do I hang out with my IRL friends all the time? No.

When I thought about the possibility that reality is a computer simulation, Dash said, "Who cares if we're living in a computer simulation? How could we know? It doesn't matter." While I wrote that, I saw an image of Keystroke pushing his way through an invisible crowd, trying to get a word in.

{I know what you've been saying. I just...feel like I should contribute; hang, 'n'...stuff. The concept of not doing so is as alien to me as Dash and I are to you.}

Do you feel like I'm neglecting you?

{Kiiind of...yes.}

[You have issues.]

{I was created from something, that he's worried about!}

He's talking about my fears relating to hypnosis. I asked how I could make it up to him. He said that I could stop procrastinating and do my homework. When I reread an essay, I noticed that it included the word "dissipate", in the context of one's intense feelings dissipating. Keystroke said that this could have influenced/subconsciously caused his actions.

Anypony have an opinion on this?

{Talk therapy? Really?}

[Hey, it worked for me.]

Well well, I am surprised this thread is still alive. It's been a while the last time I was on here, and it seems as odd, and crazy as ever lol. So what did I miss? And did anyone remember the true purpose of having a tulpa, also if anyone under the age of sixteen abusing the use of one? Well, I looked around a little and sadly I am right.

What happened to you guys? This place used to be nice, helping others share their stories about finding a new friend and/or love, but instead are abusing to not learn about themselves but only how to hide from their choices and responsibilities by making their tulpas take over the user's own lives. And if you don't like my thoughts about how to use them as they were intended, then all I have to say is too bad, why would you hurt them so badly and be so blind about it?

If some of you truly believe them to be sentient why make them live your life. Why have them answer for you? Makes me wonder sometimes if making myself a tulpa was such a good thing after all...  

Edited by Fighting Blaze

Well well, I am surprised this thread is still alive. It's been a while the last time I was on here, and it seems as odd, and crazy as ever lol. So what did I miss? And did anyone remember the true purpose of having a tulpa, also if anyone under the age of sixteen abusing the use of one? Well, I looked around a little and sadly I am right.

What happened to you guys? This place used to be nice, helping others share their stories about finding a new friend and/or love, but instead are abusing to not learn about themselves but only how to hide from their choices and responsibilities by making their tulpas take over the user's own lives. And if you don't like my thoughts about how to use them as they were intended, then all I have to say is too bad, why would you hurt them so badly and be so blind about it?

If some of you truly believe them to be sentient why make them live your life. Why have them answer for you? Makes me wonder sometimes if making myself a tulpa was such a good thing after all...  

I'm new to reading about this whole tulpa thing. From what I gathered, a tulpa is not a seprate entity that wants to live it's own life, but rather something that's part of you. Something like a very complex imaginary friend. I think tulpas could be a good idea, some people don't have many friends or a way to express their inner feelings about things.

If they are sentient, it would be to a limited degree and entirely controlled by your mind.

Makes me wonder sometimes if making myself a tulpa was such a good thing after all...

How does your decision of making a tulpa have anything to do with how others treat / use theirs?

I agree with you that it's much better when tulpa can bring something good into your life like finding yourself, what you like and so.

I also don't like them mixing it up with the original idea of a tulpa. I find it to be much more differend. That's why I now prefer to call mine 'imaginary companion / friends'.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not certain I would be successful in making a tulpa if I tried.  My problem is that it's hard for me to focus on anything for too long a period of time, and it sounds like you have to spend some significant time doing forcing or narration.  I'm always distracted thinking about music, or something I watched on TV, or a game I was playing.  I imagine that it won't be successful if you don't give it your full attention, which is something I just can't do.

I've always had a tulpa. It just started when I started gaming. I almost force myself to be with this "imaginary" friend that I think is just my conscious speaking to myself. For example, I'm playing a game. When I get off of my computer, I then pretend to still be playing, but with this "tulpa". This tulpa is effectively my friend that (in my opinion) replaces all the friends I don't have. It's almost like a soul-mate but invisible and doesn't actually exist.

Is there any conclusive proof as to hypnosis' effect (or lack of an effect) on tulpas? I'm thinking of using pony hypnosis, but I don't want it to negatively effect either of my tulpas. Also, is discovering one's true self really "worth it"?

Is there any conclusive proof as to hypnosis' effect (or lack of an effect) on tulpas? I'm thinking of using pony hypnosis, but I don't want it to negatively effect either of my tulpas. Also, is discovering one's true self really "worth it"?

It can.... if you let it.

And yes, it is. It's fun and has benfits. CAN have benfits. You have to be responsible with it or REALLY weird shit can happen.

Meanwhile, Caramel Fizz is like, a week old! or more! or something!

Define "REALLY weird shit". Anything like the near-schizophrenia Koomer went through?

Anypony else think that tulpa years are different from human years? Because tulpas mature faster?

[Two time streams! *hums Doctor Who theme*]

Don't worry pony hypnosis doesn't effect the tulpa, I've asked a tulpa that question, she said that the hypnosis isn't affecting her only her Host  :muffins:, also I've been seeing others using pony hypnosis that has a tulpa and their tulpa seems fine and seems like the hypnosis doesn't influence them.. 

But I'm wondering, what will happen if you let your tulpa possess you and let your tulpa listen to the pony hypnosis... will her personality change as well, according to the hypnosis?  :muffins: 

Edited by Nihi The Brony

My tulpas are usually briefly affected by hypnosis. One of them was created through an attempt at pony hypnosis. I'm thinking maybe I dove in too fast, and maybe I shouldn't try pony hypnosis.

[You made me to see if you could. Our relationship turned out okay.]

I feel like my accidental tulpa--

{I have a purpose. Even if you don't do pony hypnosis. My purpose is to find my purpose.}

Edited by KruegerMeister