S01:E05 - Griffon the Brush Off

81 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I liked it, although I really don't have much to say.

The whole gag with Pinkie Pie somehow catching up to Rainbow Dash as she hid from her, was pretty amusing. Gilda was alright...Although she did take things too far when she got mad at Fluttershy for simply bumping into her. I suppose that was the point to illustrate her character but it came off as quite immature on her part. I liked the scenes at Sugarcube Corner towards the end - Especially Gilda after she blew out the candles and had such a happy expression.

I liked this episode Pinkie pie was so random with her flying machine and jumping through the clouds with the trampoline.

Oof. This one really decreased in my eyes. Gilda being one dimensional really hurts the lesson.

The lesson is in identifying toxic influences, but Gilda is so over the top that it could never apply to real life. Most toxic friends wouldn't be this up front about it.

I also find this to be a missed opportunity to have a lesson taught to Pinkie, kinda like A Friend in Deed. Pinkie thinks Gilda is a bad influence, and is proven right. Maybe it would've been more interesting to have Pinkie learn not to judge people right away. The beginning sets the episode up like Pinkie is being clingy and is going to learn to accept that her friends have their own friends to hang out with and that's okay. She could've learned both lessons! Instead we get a lesson that can't even apply to real life. I think the best way to have done this episode would've been to either make the lesson they went with more nuanced my making Gilda more nuanced, or to have gone with Pinkie learning a lesson. 

That said, I do like the beginning. Rainbow and Pinkie's interactions are a lot of fun and Pinkie really isn't too bad here. Her characterization is solid and really like the subversion with the party. It makes sense and it's pretty clever.

Overall, this is a disappointment for me. I don't think it's that bad, but it does fail in a lot of ways.

Score: 3/10

Oh, Gilda, you lovable rascal.

I have mixed feelings, but I lean toward like. I find Pinkie Pie rather annoying, not particularly in this episode but in general. I am a little bothered by the chase after the opening since Rainbow clearly wants to be left alone and has already been established as being super fast but okay, whatever, she's caught, and they start getting along later with their prank bonding. My favorite part of that is at the pond where Pinkie convinces Rainbow NOT to prank Fluttershy and they playfully prank each other instead.

Watching Rainbow have fun flying and catching up with Gilda was fun too.

I didn't develop any specific love nor hate for Gilda, perhaps some annoyance and frustration. It was nice to see Rainbow admit she did the pranks and made the effort to double-check Gilda was okay with them even if Gilda didn't know. I also liked that Rainbow asserted that she didn't like her old friends mistreating her new friends. I'm glad these three (Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Gilda) made up later in season 6.

This episode is interesting to watch post Season 5.