Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Roleplay World Update Thread - Character Sheets

Jeric
Message added by Jeric

Took sheets down while I made some small change to the database organization. ETA 30 mins

Sheets are back up with a new shiny url. 

06/23/19

Original Character Sheets are Up! You will find them in the navigation bar and menu, but here is a link to The fixed character sheets

I made some changes to the fields in this, so please let me know any feedback on fields that should be changed, added, or removed. Any bugs you find, etc. The list of species is not yet comprehensive so if you need one added let me know. I am going to implement a Sheet Change Request Form so that you guys and request specific changes as you need them. 

Also keen observers will notice that there is a Canon Character DB. I haven't separated permissions, but before you jump in and start adding your favorite characters, please me aware that unlike OC Sheets, that is going to be staff curtated, so any entries will be programmed to be transferred to the RP Character Librarian. If you can find it, go ahead and have some fun. Just don't get all "Dis mines don't touch" because I have plans for the Canon Character Sheets. 

A full breakdown will be posted shortly, I just wanted to get this out to you all today. 

06/20/19

As you guys know I have flooded this section with vague news on RP. I realized that I need to have a general update thread to explain what is going on at the moment since some changes are directly impacting current roleplays. As I had mentioned previously the Character DB was basically rendered useless and garbage. All attempts to try and fix it either didn't work or made it so much worse. I had to make the call a bit ago to recreate the database. That is what is happening now. I locked the old one several days ago so no new characters can be added to it, and characters can not be edited. You can still view them though. 

When the database opens again there will be some fun changes to it, and it will be much for user friendly and readable. The general idea is to eventually provide you a standard character sheet that will allow you to customize your character's experiences in RP as you actually participate in new roleplays building a living history of your interactions in the world. There will be multiple databases as well, but we'll touch on that in a later post. 

Also, some extremely old roleplays will be moved into an archive forum to clean up the area. Basically anything that hasn't been touched this year is being put into the archive. YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO SEE THEM. If you want to revive it, just reach out to one of RP staffers (Or an Admin) and we can put it back into live RP. 

More to come later. :D

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Great to have an official say on this, and confirmation that nothing will be deleted for easy migrating. For some who never backed up like me, the damage is already done 🤷🏻‍♀️

But I'm glad this is getting worked on. Any ETA? It's definitely affecting current RPs since profiles have to be recreated elsewhere or linked to here, with people having to wade through the visible code. Both not ideal options

Is there any chance that you can open the new database in a Work In Progress or Beta state, even if it's just plain text in each box, with new features being added over time? I figure since it's being rebuilt for posterity this would prevent the new database from corrupting again and it would be built to last, so it would be great to make it like game patches. A video game launches and new features are added, improving the quality of life over time. I'm sure many of us are just eager to start using it, and wouldn't mind if some features were added later

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Pretty neat! I hope this encourages some crossover between RPs...It's been mostly separate universes up to this point, at least the ones I've taken part in. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Sweet Scoop said:

Will old characters be deleted when the update is done? I’ll just move mine into google docs for now if so.

Good news is that none of those old characters will be deleted. 

2 hours ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Any ETA? It's definitely affecting current RPs since profiles have to be recreated elsewhere or linked to here, with people having to wade through the visible code. Both not ideal options

First phase of the FiM OC Database will be ready this weekend. Canon Characters shortly after. And then Phase 2 begins. 

No later than Monday by the looks of it. 

17 minutes ago, Nikita 'Gray' Wolf said:

So, the Character sheets will no longer be a unreadable mess?

Correct and it may have a few extra optional fields for people to add things as their character(s) have new adventures and interactions. 

• The topic was unpinned

Original Character Sheets are Up! You will find them in the navigation bar and menu, but here is a link to The fixed character sheets

I made some changes to the fields in this, so please let me know any feedback on fields that should be changed, added, or removed. Any bugs you find, etc. The list of species is not yet comprehensive so if you need one added let me know. I am going to implement a Sheet Change Request Form so that you guys and request specific changes as you need them. 

Also keen observers will notice that there is a Canon Character DB. I haven't separated permissions, but before you jump in and start adding your favorite characters, please me aware that unlike OC Sheets, that is going to be staff curtated, so any entries will be programmed to be transferred to the RP Character Librarian. If you can find it, go ahead and have some fun. Just don't get all "Dis mines don't touch" because I have plans for the Canon Character Sheets. 

A full breakdown will be posted shortly, I just wanted to get this out to you all today. 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:21 PM, Inlé said:

So, the Character sheets will no longer be a unreadable mess?

On 6/21/2019 at 7:11 PM, Pripyat Pony said:

Will we still be able to upload pictures?

On 6/21/2019 at 2:59 PM, Lektra Bolt said:

OMG Yas! Thank you! :yay:

On 6/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, Vulcan said:

Pretty neat! I hope this encourages some crossover between RPs...It's been mostly separate universes up to this point, at least the ones I've taken part in. 

On 6/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, Sweet Scoop said:

Will old characters be deleted when the update is done? I’ll just move mine into google docs for now if so.

Quoting you to let you know the update

• The title was changed to Roleplay World Update Thread - Character Sheets Back Up
  • This topic was pinned, unfeatured and featured

Also, I haven't modified this so it is easier to know what it is and such, but at the bottom of the character sheet form you will see this image selection button

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.39.15 PM.png

This is for a nifty optional avatar of your character. If you use it you have 150x150 image that is placed next to your characters chosen quote if you use that field. 

Wow! Thanks! This may sound dumb, but I'm not seeing a way to add a character. Is it staff only for now?

There isn't an New button anywhere in there, nor on the big Plus at the top

🤔

2 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Wow! Thanks! This may sound dumb, but I'm not seeing a way to add a character. Is it staff only for now?

There isn't an New button anywhere in there, nor on the big Plus at the top

🤔

Do you see this Add new character button?

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.44.00 PM.png

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

I just clicked the 'Roleplay Character Sheet' tab, but it doesn't show the 'Add new character' option for me. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Same as Dynamo, this is how it is on mobileScreenshot_20190623-204704_Dolphin.thumb.jpg.c3d4ab1c7cdc6219c0171ec7d1e60ee6.jpg

Edit: Fixed thanks! There in both places now! 🤗

Edited by Lektra Bolt

6 minutes ago, Dynamo Pad said:

I just clicked the 'Roleplay Character Sheet' tab, but it doesn't show the 'Add new character' option for me. 

4 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Same as Dynamo, this is how it is on mobileScreenshot_20190623-204704_Dolphin.thumb.jpg.c3d4ab1c7cdc6219c0171ec7d1e60ee6.jpg

Edit: Fixed thanks! There in both places now! 🤗

I had to fuss around with some things. It should show now. I'll be on to make any tweaks as needed. The design and style of it will be adjusted as the week goes on so it looks nicer for ya. 

Just now, Jeric said:

I had to fuss around with some things. It should show now. I'll be on to make any tweaks as needed. The design and style of it will be adjusted as the week goes on so it looks nicer for ya. 

I clicked on the tab again and the add character option is there. Thanks for letting us know and this looks amazing! ^_^ 

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Jeric said:

One thing I'd like to make sure you're aware of: Even Everfree are currently set to a moderator queue. This might not be intended, and if it is, oh boy I'm sorry for the work the mods are probably getting right now as it gets flooded 

Edited by Lektra Bolt

22 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

One thing I'd like to make sure you're aware of: Even Everfree are currently set to a moderator queue. This might not be intended, and if it is, oh boy I'm sorry for the work the mods are probably getting right now as it gets flooded 

JUst temporary in case it was broken all to hell

We will flip that switch to not require approval very soon. 

@Lektra Bolt it should be off now. Happy adding

(edited)
8 hours ago, Jeric said:

JUst temporary in case it was broken all to hell

We will flip that switch to not require approval very soon. 

@Lektra Bolt it should be off now. Happy adding

Thank you! Oh found something interesting: Can't write in Age as a sentence or a couple of sentences. I have a character based on another character, and they'd be the same age. Some characters have an age that is ambiguous or changes with the setting. Please take this into account somehow?

Also would like to be able to edit Spells/Abilities the same as other fields, or at least same as Likes and Dislikes so each spell can have its own line. There isn't much space in there before it gets cut off 🤔

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Thank you! Oh found something interesting: Can't write in Age as a sentence or a couple of sentences. I have a character based on another character, and they'd be the same age. Some characters have an age that is ambiguous or changes with the setting. Please take this into account somehow?

Also would like to be able to edit Spells/Abilities the same as other fields, or at least same as Likes and Dislikes so each spell can have its own line. There isn't much space in there before it gets cut off 🤔

Hm. We will look over other options and such and let you know. I actually may just add an full editor block below each spell. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Jeric said:

Hm. We will look over other options and such and let you know. I actually may just add an full editor block below each spell. 

Each spell? Can't really predict how many of them characters will have, especially the inevitable Alicorns that I'm sure are coming. One of my character has four spells, some will have more

Maybe Age should be the same kind of editor as Likes/Dislikes and Spells expanded to Abilities and made a full editor since some characters aren't magic users but say have being strong as an ability or like various forms of cooking? Age doesn't need more than a couple of sentences at max, even on characters that need an explanation, but there's no need to limit Abilities to three for Everfree

Another thing I noticed is you guys don't have a way to edit the 'Notify of replies' setting after the initial posting. I thought I'd enable it later, but it's just gone now :wau:

(Sorry if this is off topic, you guys don't have a Feedback thread on this) 

Edited by Lektra Bolt