Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mrs. Cake cheated on Mr. Cake

My little pwny

It doesn't make much sense that she cheated with an alicorn thoug.... most reasonable thing that happened was this:

(Don't click if you're afraid of Humanizations xD)

Posted Image

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I like your thinking, but I will be honest, I think that there is more here than a simple dominate and recessive alleles. If what you say is true, then there should be more alicorns around. Plus, that would give the possiblity of 2 normal pegasi having a high probability to giving birth to a unicorn and or an earth pony. They should also have a 25% chance of having an Alicorn child! By the looks of it in the show, there are around and equal amount of ponies of each type and Alicorns are only a small line in the royal family.

I think your train of thought is on the right track, but I think the genes are a bit more complicated in this sense, like co dominance and things such as that. I'm not sure if that would give the even pony distribution that we are looking for (maybe there are mostly earth ponies... I don't know). I will look into it and see if I can figure it out.

I am NOT a genetics expert, just thinking out loud and remembering bio class

(PS I think it may be possible to prove that Mrs Cake wasn't cheating... Just give me some time to figure out the genetics)

Of Course... I could be completely wrong in every sense...

Edited by Anony-Brony

Nah, she didn't cheat. She adopted Pumpkin and Pound Cake. She put together a very elaborate act with the hospital staff to trick Mr. Cake into thinking she was giving birth. I mean, we didn't see her pregnant in either Season 1 or 2 right? Adopted. Case closed. *pushes glasses up face*

Ahhh those who believed this was a true response on my part do not know me very well yet. *points to the blue text in my signature*

Took me a while in google, but here you go

http://mlpforums.com...w-royal-guards/

And http://mlp.wikia.com...nterlot_Wedding

Thanks for the links.

Reminds me so much of 5th and 6th grade science!

Nice informative comic! Even if it isn't canon it works! I hope they do come out with an image about alicorn genetics.

It doesn't make much sense that she cheated with an alicorn thoug.... most reasonable thing that happened was this:

(Don't click if you're afraid of Humanizations xD)

Posted Image

HAHAHAHA

I like your thinking, but I will be honest, I think that there is more here than a simple dominate and recessive alleles. If what you say is true, then there should be more alicorns around. Plus, that would give the possiblity of 2 normal pegasi having a high probability to giving birth to a unicorn and or an earth pony. They should also have a 25% chance of having an Alicorn child! By the looks of it in the show, there are around and equal amount of ponies of each type and Alicorns are only a small line in the royal family.

I think your train of thought is on the right track, but I think the genes are a bit more complicated in this sense, like co dominance and things such as that. I'm not sure if that would give the even pony distribution that we are looking for (maybe there are mostly earth ponies... I don't know). I will look into it and see if I can figure it out.

I am NOT a genetics expert, just thinking out loud and remembering bio class

(PS I think it may be possible to prove that Mrs Cake wasn't cheating... Just give me some time to figure out the genetics)

Of Course... I could be completely wrong in every sense...

If you did look into that, that would be great!

(edited)

I do have to admit being someone that has family members in the medical field, I did raise the BS flag on the explanation given in the episode.

But despite the story not being as plausible as most of them, I seriously doubt she cheated on him. I just don't see that happening in a MLP series.

Of course, I also said that I doubted alot of other things, but they ended up happening anyway. So who knows?

Edited by SBaby

I'm sorry to say, but if you say that the uppercase Y represents the Alicorn gene, and is a dominative gene at that, then it's easy to see that this isn't possible, since she would have had little Alicorns then. Plus, I doubt she cheated on a male Alicorn, seeing that we know none in the show, and that they're are a very exclusive species.

Asuming genetics works this way, we can easily tell, that both of them have recessive genes, that in the right combination would create these twins.

Ms. Cake would have to have both types of genes, as well as Mr. Cake, just from this we can see that Pony genetics works no where near the same way as humans, since it's possible for them to have both of them, but it's also noticed that they are both recessive genes, meaning that if it was cross-race (assuming that Earth, Pegasi, Unicorn etc. are races) breeding between as Unicorn and an Earth pony, it would only become another unicorn if the Earth Pony already contained genetics from a unicorn from earlier stage of the family tree. This means as well that two Earth ponies, having these recessive genes from an earlier stage of the famility tree, can have, in the theoritical 25% chance, a unicorn foal, and this would as well fit for the pegasi gene, presuming that they are seperate mechanics.

If they're not seperate, which they would have to be to follow theory, then it means that Ms. Cake and Mr. Cake would have to contain both genetics to have both, and therefor not being able to contain Earth Pony genes as well, UNLESS they are both recessive, in different natures, meaning that nothing will come from having both, but that would as well have to mean that the Alicorn gene is something seperate as well, and not just the Unicorn + Pegasi gene in the same pony, but taking in the facts about the Alicorn physics, we can easily assume that it is an entirely different gene for Alicorns than just Uni + Pega genes.

This would also conclude that, in a rare case, both Ms. and Mr. cake would be able to contain both the Unicorn and Pegasi gene, being recessive, they would have no effect on the two of them, but in a 25% chance for each foal, they would combine these recessive genes and create a pure Unicorn or a pure Pegasus.

That's my explanation.

Since there are no visible reproductive organs on a pony, how do you know they dont just go to some unicorn and they use there magic or something.

Lauren Faust actually confirmed normal reproduction methods on her DA page. I might be able to find a screen shot of it if I do some searching.

I'm not a genetics expert, so i'll stay out of the debate on that. I do highly doubt Mrs. Cake would cheat though. Maybe in a fanfic, but I don't see that happening in the show.

Posted Image

Let's say the lower case "y" is the earth pony gene, and the upper case "Y" is the alicorn gene. Mrs. Cake is on top and the adulterer alicorn is on the left. Based on the theory of genetics, The upper case "Y" alicorn gene is dominate gives offspring either a horn or wings. Double lower yy means its just a earth pony. This is the only explaination of how Mrs. Cake could have those children!

Actually the dominant alicorn allele would cancel out the recessive earth pony allele completely resulting in two full blown alicorns. In order for an earth pony and an alicorn to produce a unicorn and pegusi both alleles would have to be recessive so that both alleles could take effect.

Interesting theory tough; could make for a good fan-fic.

This may not be canon, but so much work was put into this that it must be true, right?

Posted Image

My head hurts :/

• 2 years later...

Okay guys, I know this is an old thread - but I came across it as one of the first 10 search results. I can't believe how many bronies didn't pay attention in Biology class! (not just this thread) You're free to make up any old explanation for the Cake family, because it's a cartoon, and it even has magic. However, you're not free to say it's not possible, especially when it's one of the most commonly used genetic examples taught in middle school and high school biology class! I can understand not remembering the details of how this works, but - do so many of you not even remember the general fact that it's possible? :( (Some of you seemed to!) And the original post is just silly, if your only knowledge of genetics is a Punnett Square that uses only one gene with only two possible alleles and basic dominant/recessive conditions - then you should know that you don't know enough to be making claims of what's not possible in genetics! D: It would be better to word a claim like that on the "safe side", like "I don't see how it's possible, this is the only Punnett Square I can figure out." Please, please, tell me that all your teachers didn't only show you that one type of example and neglect to mention that it's almost never that simple, especially in animals!

The second example listed with Twilight "explaining" - well, that person seems to have attended biology class, but clearly didn't understand some of it. Points for trying though. They remembered that you can have more than one gene and how to do a 2-gene Punnett Square. They didn't remember genetic notation rules, but I know some teachers don't teach that correctly. They are way off on dominance, not sure how that happened, but it's a decent, although weirdly complicated, idea. Half the kids born in Cloudsdale could be unicorns, lol (and they can't walk on clouds, I picture them dropping through! Aghh!).

It's just weird that someone would go through that trouble when a common example (same Punnett Square) with a simpler explanation would do. It's almost the same thing! (EDIT: based on a comment made - maybe they were trying to invent a way to explain why alicorns were special and couldn't be birthed by any combination of Earth, Unicorn, or Pegasus!)

img-3529193-1-9XwiGaB.jpg

Edited by Puzzle
  • Brohoof 2

img-3529193-1-9XwiGaB.jpg

Seems like a reasonable explanation.

Of course then there needs to be an explanation for the almost total lack of born alicorns in Equestria. Perhaps the "hhww" gene combination often results in difficulty of the embryo implanting?

• Brohoof 1

@@Puzzle, sorry but I don't think Mr & Mrs Cake could have a baby alicorn. :P

Ha ha - well, maybe the zygote cannot develop without certain magical conditions. It is likely the mother would never even know that that combination had been attempted. Would that serve your pony headcannon wishes better?

That too matches a  genetic example used in biology classes sometimes - a type of drawfism. (There are many types of dwarfism, and it's not always passed down genetically as it is a realatively 'easy' mutation you can end up with. But, let's get to this particular example...)

In one type of dwarfism, the trait is expressed when you have one of each "flavor".

For example,  I am standard-height and such my two alleles for the gene are "normal+normal".

A person with this type of dwarfism will have one of each "flavor". They have "normal+dwarfism".

It is possible for two dwarf parents to have a standard-height child (25% chance). It is possible for them to have a dwarf child (50% chance). There is a 25% chance the child will have the "dwarfism+dwarfism" combination - which is believed to be fatal early on. The child is never born.

Thus when looking at born children, the chances skew to 67% chance of having a dwarf child and 33% chance of having a standard-height child. (Recall the reality show you might have seen called "Little People, Big World". I do not know the type of dwarfism the parents had, but they birthed standard-height children.)

So we can consider the "hhww" alicorn combination to be unfeasable. Thus, the practical chances of each child type (the chances of being born) become:

Earth baby: 60% chance, Pegasus baby: 20% chance, Unicorn baby: 20% chance.

Of course then there needs to be an explanation for the almost total lack of born alicorns in Equestria. Perhaps the "hhww" gene combination often results in difficulty of the embryo implanting?

(Your reply occured while I was typing mine above) - Yes, I agree that your embryo difficulty could be a feasable way to explain that.

However, many students make the common mistake of thinking that "dominant" means common. It doesn't. It was only "common" in that particular Punnett Square where we had an even mix of "flavors" (both parents had multi-flavors!) Mr. and Mrs. Cake just happen to be heterozygous for both traits (heterozygous = multi-flavor for a gene) (that means, they just happen to be secret carriers). That doesn't mean it's common. Most earth ponies are probably HHWW. Thus most babies from earth ponies will be HHWW. Earth ponies carrying a secret "flavor" for horns (HhWW) or a secret flavor for wings (HHWw) are rare. Carrying both would be even more rare (HhWw). We just happened to see that example (teachers teach it to you because it shows the most varied results - so it's good for teaching. But that doesn't mean it's "normal" or "common"!)

Keep in mind - the "flavor" that makes you have 6 fingers on your hand is DOMINANT. But it isn't common, now is it? Most of us only have 5 fingers on our hands! 5 fingers is Recessive! :P

I can show you Punnett Squares, if you want. Does calling them "flavors" and saying "multi-flavor" make it easier than calling them "alleles" and "heterozygous"?

Edited by Puzzle
  • Brohoof 2

We've already had a aubtle joke at Mrs. Cake having an affair and that was all I needed to know that she did it.

However, many students make the common mistake of thinking that "dominant" means common.

I don't do that. I always assume the population is split 50% down the middle, which is equally wrong. I know that it's wrong of course, but when looking at Punnett squares, that assumption is always lurking at the back of my mind.

That said, in this case the "h" and "w" variants must be reasonably common, because otherwise you couldn't explain the large number of unicorn and pegasus ponies you see in the show.

This may not be canon, but so much work was put into this that it must be true, right?

img-413313-1-biology_is_magic_by_grim_s_

I am impressed with whomever came up with this. However, this hinges on the assumption that pony race is hinged on a single gene. The thing that bothers me more, and bothers me about what a lot of what people are speculating, is the fact that we simply don't know enough about pony genetics in order to ascertain whether Mrs. Cake cheated. (Although, there is a subtle hint of it in the form of a joke in the show.) If we compare pony race to human race (and being that race is a social concept, I use the term loosely,) the things associated with it, such as eye color, hair color, hair texture etc. are affected by multiple genes. I think it's possible that pony race could also be affected by multiple genes, hypothetically. Then again, something like hair color is something that exists in a spectrum of colors, not simply a few easily named ones. Pony race, on the other hand, is very black and white, unlike the color of eyes or skin. (No pun intended.) You don't see any ponies with half-wings or half-horns or anything like that. They're either a unicorn, a pegasus, an earth pony or an alicorn, period. Like I said, though, we simply don't know enough about it, but if we're speculating, I don't think we should leave out that possibility.

Edited by Clover Heart