Lektra Bolt

answered Mobile: Unable to delete @mentions and links, once embedded

As the title says.

Once an embed occurs for these things, I'm unable to delete links and mentions. This only happens on mobile. Is this a forum issue or a browser issue?

I am able to delete image embeds by selecting the image and pressing backspace on the virtual keyboard, but a link somewhere is still stuck forever.

Same for mentions, they can't be removed

Mentions do even weirder things though. They cannot be deleted with backspace once put down, only undo. Editing them out of a post after the fact is therefore impossible. Doing two next to each other sometimes doesn't work, and they need to be separated on separate lines. Once separated, I cannot remove the line between them either

I'm using Dolphin Browser for Android. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with Android 9

• Brohoof 1

The built in editor doesn’t make it easy on mobile users, but it is doable. I’m on mobile Chrome right now and an iPhone, but I’ll test it later with Dolphin. You basically can quick double tap delete/backspace to remove mention links and embeds. 

Like that.

(edited)

Okay, I see what you did there, now that you've explained it. This has been bothering me for quite some time, but only came to a boiling point since I've been on the forums exclusively on mobile

This is seems to actually be a limitation of SwiftKey keyboard, and I can do that double tap to delete mentions and embeds on Samsung default keyboard

SwiftKey can't delete them with its backspace button, apparently. I should bring this issue to them as a bug maybe, but they're probably aware of it if it's been going on so long. Not a huge issue since a quick keyboard change allows me to do it, and I don't need to do it often. I like the keyboard with all this extra functionality. There's so much extra and useful functionality, it's kinda sad it can't do a basic thing like this

This issue is not present on the default keyboard 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'll have to use it when I need to delete a mention or embed 🤔

Thanks for clearing that up! Please go ahead and close

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Closing as question was given the correct answer. Thanks for the question :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Edit: My post broke, cannot delete the mention below.

@Lektra BoltBoltBoltBoltBoltBoltgrhrgBoltBolBoltBoltBoltBoltBoltBoltgrhrg

Ah what I wanted to say, is that I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm using chrome and Google keyboard. It refuses to remove mention. Instead, it either hides the keyboard or somewhat duplicates the mention, as seen above. Trying to backspace only makes it longer.

A button in the toolbar, that would remove content or something like this would be nice. Backspace on virtual keyboard often fails to do its job when it comes to this wysiwyg editor with all the formatting.

For example there too:

(Btw post embed cannot be backspaced/deleted either. Fancy workarounds are required.)

Sorry for the initial spam post; tried to backspace the mention up there and it hid the keyboard which resulted in me mistapping on the submit button.

Edited by Rikifive
Whoops, blame phone
  • Shocked 1