Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sunset's Backstage Pass - Official Discussion.

Ganondorf8

I honestly love how chill Twilight was being about the whole time loop thing despite the fact she'd just be reset the next day and not remember it.
It was likely because she knows, having dealt with Equestrian Magic, it was nothing new.
I also loved the little twist to make it SEEM like the Sirens were the antagonists of the special, only to find out that it was a total misunderstanding of what they were up to, revealing that they WEREN'T responsible for the time loop. And as @Will Guide described to me, they weren't even evil. They were just obnoxious teenagers, because that's just how some teenagers are.

The special overall really surprised me with its plot twists, and predictable, yet satisfying story. And a title of 'Sunset's Backstage Pass', not being literal, was a good title choice, seeing as she wanted nothing more than to enjoy seeing PostCrush, and didn't even involve a possibly expected 'protagonist gets a chance to meet her idols with a special VIP pass' concept. And speaking of PostCrush, I really loved how they portrayed the concept of how your idols aren't as cool as they seem to be, and that they could actually turn out to be total jerks on the inside, while seeming cool on the outside.

• Brohoof 2

This one was so so good. Best villains finally return (except now they're best not-evil girls), and with a great song to boot <3

Most amazing of all is that PostCrush is a blatant Puffy AmiYumi reference lol. Never thought i'd see the day

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I loved it. It might possibly be my favourite Equestria Girls of all time - and I'm including the four movies in that. Sure, the basic plot is borrowed/stolen from a famous movie, but that's easily forgiven since this special manages to do something really good with the concept. And it features one of my favourite ever Equestria Girls songs - if not the favourite.

Edited by Solar Power

(edited)

Just an FYI for anyone interested, they are officially airing this special on the 27th on Discovery Family for those that have access. I didn't think it would be on TV at all so that's pretty cool 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I really liked this one. Time loops are always fun.

How many times did Sunset have to get whacked in the butt before she dodged?

She's a witch! Snails forgot all the magic he's seen.

The security guard was awesome.

I dont know why i decide to not watch this special until today but that was a mistake, this special is AWESOME.:ph3ar::please::fluttershy:

Sunset and Pinkie having fun (and frustrating) together is so unique, i dont know how the writers can make it works.

Its good to see the Dazzling again. Surprisingly, They are not the villain this time (nice red herrings) and even Adagio gave Sunset a good advice too, nice cameo.

I love time loop stories in any form, and this special is another my favorite time loop story. This special and Forgotten Friendship are my favorite recent EQG specials. Well done, writers, i give you churros out of ten. (Even i dont know what Churros are but it look delicious so take them as positive):muffins:

Adagio:  If the day's always the same, maybe you're the one who needs to change.

Cant imagine the moral of the day is spoken by the villain. Well played. Adagio’s tongue still just as sharp as ever, she doesnt need magic to roast Sunset.:secret:

• Brohoof 3

• The topic was unfeatured

I'm very conflicted with this special after finally seeing it. On one hand it's a new dynamic of Pinkie and Sunset which is always appreciated. On the other hand why is it Sunset AGAIN!

I want to get invested in these specials, in Equestria Girls' world building but almost every single story seems to rely on their one trick pony and by pony I mean perfectly developed character leaving every other character in the dust. The purpose to doing these kinds of pairings is to explore the different interactions, the bonds. Rarity and Applejack did it wonderfully in Rollercoaster of Friendship but the execution with Pinkie just falls flat in the grand scheme when the story pairs her with Sunset. Because in the end Pinkie does not develop, her character does not get elaborated on, it amounts to nothing for her and once again everything for Sunset.

I see others talking about a lack of sympathy towards Pinkie, and you know I feel it too but not because she's annoying or too out of character, mainly because her sadness doesn't add anything for her character. She's just insulted for being careless, but any character can be careless, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, even Trixie if they wanted, and her carelessness is not addressed. Compare this sadness, this feeling of betrayal to Party of One. Only Pinkie would get this upset at the situation, and it enhances her character by showing just how much she takes being ignore, left, out and lied too. Coincidentally they tried to replicate that exact circumstance in one of the time loop but genius of Party of One's sympathy comes from the audience also being in the dark about the situation too. Here we see Sunset in the wrong and instead of focusing on Pinkie's anguish, we just get Sunset's betrayal and Pinkie is shoved to the back to focus on the escalation of Sunset's conflict. We can't feel for Pinkie because the story doesn't care enough about her to make you care. You are usually only caring about Sunset and only her path to make things right.

But I would be remissed to only compare this to a Pinkie central episode because like I said this is a character pairing story, so instead compare this to one's like Griffon the Brush-Off (RD/Pinkie) or Spice Up Your Life (Pinkie/Rarity) and you'll see how this special doesn't benefit Pinkie like it should. GTB-O develops Rainbow by showing her what being a real friend is like when it comes to interacting with others. While on the flip side it benefits Pinkie by exemplifying her desire to see good in every new friend, as she explicitly sees Gilda acting up yet still treats her well, a trait exclusive to Pinkie. Then with SUYL both Rarity and Pinkie learn to approach helping a business playing to their real strengths than just relying on their desire to make things perfect. Again kind of like this special, but Pinkie doesn't get to elaborate on the moral at all so she just seems to be dragged along as Sunset learns to be better....again.

Pinkie was so under utilized in this special, I mean you didn't even have to put her in the time loop like Sunset, because she's Pinkie, she would absolutely follow along with any time shenanigans.  It could have really open up so much development for Pinkie to have Sunset constantly get her to understand, the effort could eventually make Pinkie realize the struggle Sunset is going through. Yes it would be erased each day but again because she's Pinkie the plot can easily pick back up again on the new day with no question of why Pinkie is going along. That way by going along each time, it actually enhances positive aspects of her character against Sunset.

It is a shame this may be the last special, because besides Rollercoaster of Friendship, no one but Sunset has ever been developed sufficiently for the series. I guess these characters really are only useful in small 2-3 minute vignettes, because for an ensemble cast of a series, it is still significantly lacking in the ensemble part.

• Brohoof 1

An excellent special packed to the brim with pleasant surprises. Plot was an awesome homage to Groundhog Day and there were loads of great jokes, my favorite being when Sunset broke down and tried to drive away maniacally, which was a direct reference to the movie they were spoofing. I also loved how it took Sunset time to realize where she was going wrong, and her initial lack of remorse for her selfish resolutions to the problem had me laughing at the great callback to the villain she used to be. The return of the Dazzlings was easily the best pleasant surprise of the special, if you don't count how they were not reformed and actually used the term "human scum". Obvious decoy antagonists, sure, but the misdirection is well-written enough for someone not familiar with the EqG specials to not catch. It's very bittersweet to have this be the last EqG special, or at least the last one that will be made by DHX, since while the ending was a satisfying conclusion to the special, it was not so much a satisfying conclusion to this series of specials. I'm glad it at least went out with a memorable song and some great character bonding though.  

SPOILER ALERT! I saw EG “Sunset’s Backstage Pass” yesterday. I like how it explored the relationship between Pinkie and Sunset. That’s a pairing we don’t see often. I’m convinced human Pinkie has ADHD since she behaves just like my friend with ADHD here but unfortunately less empathetic. I see some people here in the thread saying Pinkie learns nothing but Pinkie did realize she was wrong at some points in the loops and did try to help Sunset. Pony Pinkie Pie has had a lot more lessons on self control like “Too Many Pinkie Pies” than human Pinkie Pie. I think human Pinkie and Human Rainbow Dash are both more like their season 1 pony versions because it is a separate universe. Pinkie Pie is the character the writers use when they want to teach lessons in patience and going with the flow for good reason.  I loved the message of rolling with the punches instead of expecting and forcing perfection. I liked that the security guard was depicted positively later on. I loved that we saw the Dazzlings/sirens again before EG officially ends. The pacing was good. Things that could be slightly better: They could have shown more parallels between Pinkie/Sunset and the 2 from the band and could have explored more of where the Dazzlings have been this whole time.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:37 PM, Loyal Defender said:

I honestly love how chill Twilight was being about the whole time loop thing despite the fact she'd just be reset the next day and not remember it.

Both Twilights SHOULD be desperate to find a way to prevent ANY timeloop from happening. But not for the reasons most people think...  

From the point of view of (any) Twilight:

a) If there is only 1 timeline (the device just "add" an entire day for a few people every time):

-> Then Sunset (plus who know how many others) would eventually get perverted & brave enough to perform all types of experiments with her body/mind, over & over [until she/they know everything about her, even more than herself ever could]. Even if the timeloop stops, she would be completely exposed to their manipulation (no chance for her to overcome whatever may be done to her "for realz" this last time).

b)  If there is a multiverse (the device moves Sunset & others to the past of another reality): Then there is a chance that she would NEVER see again her friend Sunset Shimmer (or any other "doppleganger Sunset" from another world ). 

-> This is the MOST SERIOUS risk [specially since it is likely canon from "The Cutie Remark" implied timetravel mechanisms & Starlight´s "half-explanation" of it back in the S7 finale ]; since nothing guarantees the events of the "next world" would lead to their Sunset Shimmer to enter into the past of this one (replacing the one from this that is going to another world´s past).

(edited)

I find it redundant that this is the LAST Equestria Girls special. I would've thought that there'd be a Graduation Movie that closes the book on the Equestrian Magic, and that Sunset would choose to live a Human life with her Human friends, like how Hercules chose to stay mortal for Megara.. And I find it ridiculous that the Human World HAS NO Sunset Shimmer before this one set foot in the Human World, according to the writers. It's like they're saying that she's The Link Between Worlds!

Edited by YoshiAngemon
  • Brohoof 1

I loved it.  Really good special.  Y'know, aside from glaring plot hole, that is.  Y'know, how they never even attempted to explain why the time loop affected only Sunset and no one else.  Other than that, really good.

Here I was all ready to make a joke about how they can never get through a single one of these things without doing a super hero transformation and rising up into the air and blasting the enemy with friendship lasers.  Well, they sure showed me!  I am tickled pink that they didn't do the friendship rainbow thing for once.  What a pleasant surprise!  They destroyed the artifact (Sunny stomped it, right?), and that was that.  Problem solved, and they didn't proceed to shoot Post Crush with friendship lasers.  Thank Celestia.  I do wish they could do just one of these things without Equestrian Magic run amok, but I was thrilled that the magical calamity actually wasn't some evil doers with a scheme to destroy the mane 7 and claim all the friendship power for herself, or some crap like that.  It wasn't an evil scheme at all, and just an accident that Sunset was affected.  Of course, Post Crush weren't very nice about it at first, but still, they weren't villains.

Nice moral.  Y'know, about embracing spontaneity.  It hits home for me.  I'm a bit like Sheldon Cooper, and I was much worse when I was little.  Whenever I got together with friends, I would have a plan and a schedule of what we'd do, right down to what color plates we'd use for eating our pizza.  Yeah--I sure was a hoot 'n' a half to hang out with.  If anyone deviated from the plan, I would get upset and tell them that they were having fun wrong.  It's a f*cking wonder that anyone ever wanted to be around me.  A lot of times, they didn't.  Can't believe I had any friends.  I got better as I got older, and I committed to learning how to go with the flow and do whatever my friends wanted.  The people I liked being around the most were the easy-going ones who always said, "I'm up for whatever."  That's how I wanted to be.  I got pretty good, but unfortunately, by the time I really loosened up, I only had a short time to enjoy it before everyone moved away, started their own families and lives, and friendships became distant and lapsed.

The most fun times I've ever had were the times with no plans, where we would just see where the wind took us.  In fact, some of my fondest memories are the times when my friends and I were bored, and would get creative to find something to do.  Never let plans and schedules distract you from living.  Some of the most precious experiences you'll ever have are the spontaneous ones right in front of you that you'll miss if you're not open to them.

However, that said, it goes both ways.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to a plan and a schedule if you're planning to do something really special.  If you want to do something rare and extraordinary that requires planning, or if you have tickets to a big show or something, you're probably not going to be able to do it if you goof off.  The fact is, Sunset was absolutely justified in being pissed at Pinkie.  If you're planning to see your favorite band live in concert, and your friend can't control herself for five seconds and gets you thrown out, then it's completely reasonable to be angry, and perfectly reasonable to want to go to the show by yourself.  And even though it sounds like a contradiction, there's also nothing wrong with scheduling a little spontaneity.  It would have been perfectly reasonable for Sunset to say, "Hey Pinkie, on day 1, we're gonna stick to the schedule, stay focused, get to the show early, and see Post Crush, and on day 2 we can just go where the wind takes us.  Today is my plan, and tomorrow, we'll just wander around and do whatever you wanna do!  Whatever catches you eye, we'll go for it!"  Nothing wrong with that.

I really enjoyed it, though.  I especially liked the seeing Dazzlings again.  I wish they had included their song from the short in the actual special, though.  The song actually made you feel more sympathetic towards them, and made them seem less evil, but if you didn't see the music video, then that feeling is kind of lost in the special.  I wish we could see a little more development and possibly reform from them.

I had one idea to make this special way better.  After the rapid cut montage of Sunset living the same day over and over, there should have been a scene where she's sitting on the hill at night, worrying that she'll never figure out how to stop the loop, and then there'd be a slow cross-fade, at it would say "Four Years Later".  How awesome would that be?  She had to live the same day for four years.  That would have been great.  :mlp_laugh:

I wish we could get more.  It seems like there's so much more story to tell.  I want to see the rest of the festival!  I guess that's what all the shorts were for.  It seems to me that all of the shorts for this one take place after the special.  I just think it would be really cool if they had mashed all of the shorts together and edited them to be seamless and made it another half hour special or something.  Just feels like there should be more.  But sadly, I guess there will never be any more....  E V E R:(

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I would have loved if they could have put in the line: "What could possible be in my eye that would explain this???"

Brohoof if you get the reference. B)

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't discussed Equestria Girls content before. However, I think this special and most of the other specials were really cool and necessary to expand on the lore and characters of the human realm following the first 4 movies. Sunset has been one of my favorite characters since her first appearance as a good guy in Rainbow Rocks and although Native Twilight seemed pointless in the last 2 movies, I appreciate these specials giving her some purpose and making her feel like part of the team. Native Spike is still just your average talking dog, unfortunately.

That sensitive security guard is now one of my favorite background humans. So many problems can be solved with kittens.

The plot with the temporal loop reminded me of Edge of Tomorrow and it was interesting to see how Sunset used her chances. She got to see Post Crush on her third attempt but it wasn't the perfect day she thought it was since she was a terrible friend to Pinkie, who didn't even know she would get them kicked out.

I didn't expect the twist that Post Crush were resetting the day and not the Dazzlings. I liked the climactic scene with Sunset destroying the Time Twirler and convincing them that having fun is more important than perfection. I think the moral had better execution than Rollercoaster of Friendship since the villain wasn't just trying to be perfect, she was abducting people and had no respect for their free will. Sunset also learned her lesson as she finally got to see (and perform with) Post Crush with Pinkie like she planned, without actually following the plan. She humored Pinkie's distractions and they both got to enjoy their perfect "Day 1" together.

Those crowbar churros look way more edible than they actually are though.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:31 AM, Frostgage said:

This one was so so good. Best villains finally return (except now they're best not-evil girls), and with a great song to boot <3

Most amazing of all is that PostCrush is a blatant Puffy AmiYumi reference lol. Never thought i'd see the day

Nice observation about Post Crush. I enjoyed their song.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:32 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

I loved it.  Really good special.  Y'know, aside from glaring plot hole, that is.  Y'know, how they never even attempted to explain why the time loop affected only Sunset and no one else.  Other than that, really good.

Here I was all ready to make a joke about how they can never get through a single one of these things without doing a super hero transformation and rising up into the air and blasting the enemy with friendship lasers.  Well, they sure showed me!  I am tickled pink that they didn't do the friendship rainbow thing for once.  What a pleasant surprise!  They destroyed the artifact (Sunny stomped it, right?), and that was that.  Problem solved, and they didn't proceed to shoot Post Crush with friendship lasers.  Thank Celestia.  I do wish they could do just one of these things without Equestrian Magic run amok, but I was thrilled that the magical calamity actually wasn't some evil doers with a scheme to destroy the mane 7 and claim all the friendship power for herself, or some crap like that.  It wasn't an evil scheme at all, and just an accident that Sunset was affected.  Of course, Post Crush weren't very nice about it at first, but still, they weren't villains.

Nice moral.  Y'know, about embracing spontaneity.  It hits home for me.  I'm a bit like Sheldon Cooper, and I was much worse when I was little.  Whenever I got together with friends, I would have a plan and a schedule of what we'd do, right down to what color plates we'd use for eating our pizza.  Yeah--I sure was a hoot 'n' a half to hang out with.  If anyone deviated from the plan, I would get upset and tell them that they were having fun wrong.  It's a f*cking wonder that anyone ever wanted to be around me.  A lot of times, they didn't.  Can't believe I had any friends.  I got better as I got older, and I committed to learning how to go with the flow and do whatever my friends wanted.  The people I liked being around the most were the easy-going ones who always said, "I'm up for whatever."  That's how I wanted to be.  I got pretty good, but unfortunately, by the time I really loosened up, I only had a short time to enjoy it before everyone moved away, started their own families and lives, and friendships became distant and lapsed.

The most fun times I've ever had were the times with no plans, where we would just see where the wind took us.  In fact, some of my fondest memories are the times when my friends and I were bored, and would get creative to find something to do.  Never let plans and schedules distract you from living.  Some of the most precious experiences you'll ever have are the spontaneous ones right in front of you that you'll miss if you're not open to them.

However, that said, it goes both ways.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to a plan and a schedule if you're planning to do something really special.  If you want to do something rare and extraordinary that requires planning, or if you have tickets to a big show or something, you're probably not going to be able to do it if you goof off.  The fact is, Sunset was absolutely justified in being pissed at Pinkie.  If you're planning to see your favorite band live in concert, and your friend can't control herself for five seconds and gets you thrown out, then it's completely reasonable to be angry, and perfectly reasonable to want to go to the show by yourself.  And even though it sounds like a contradiction, there's also nothing wrong with scheduling a little spontaneity.  It would have been perfectly reasonable for Sunset to say, "Hey Pinkie, on day 1, we're gonna stick to the schedule, stay focused, get to the show early, and see Post Crush, and on day 2 we can just go where the wind takes us.  Today is my plan, and tomorrow, we'll just wander around and do whatever you wanna do!  Whatever catches you eye, we'll go for it!"  Nothing wrong with that.

I really enjoyed it, though.  I especially liked the seeing Dazzlings again.  I wish they had included their song from the short in the actual special, though.  The song actually made you feel more sympathetic towards them, and made them seem less evil, but if you didn't see the music video, then that feeling is kind of lost in the special.  I wish we could see a little more development and possibly reform from them.

I had one idea to make this special way better.  After the rapid cut montage of Sunset living the same day over and over, there should have been a scene where she's sitting on the hill at night, worrying that she'll never figure out how to stop the loop, and then there'd be a slow cross-fade, at it would say "Four Years Later".  How awesome would that be?  She had to live the same day for four years.  That would have been great.  :mlp_laugh:

I wish we could get more.  It seems like there's so much more story to tell.  I want to see the rest of the festival!  I guess that's what all the shorts were for.  It seems to me that all of the shorts for this one take place after the special.  I just think it would be really cool if they had mashed all of the shorts together and edited them to be seamless and made it another half hour special or something.  Just feels like there should be more.  But sadly, I guess there will never be any more....  E V E R:(

Like you and Twilight, I also thrive on order. Even Pinkie is a party planner. To live in chaos is to accept uncertainty which can be very difficult. But you're correct. That's why Pinkie always finds a way to make it work, she can plan and improvise. Sometimes, the shoot first, aim later approach just works. "Never let plans and schedules distract you from living." is profound and someday, I will learn to navigate the chaos. Thanks for the inspiration, dude.

• Brohoof 3

I  loved Sunset's Backstage Pass.  I would even go as far as say that this was definitely one of the better Equestria Girls specials.  Sunset and Pinkie is a character dynamic that we don't usually get to see, so I found it nice that it got a spotlight here.  It didn't really drag and in fact it felt like a quick watch.  I feel like the whole time loop was handled pretty decently and I enjoyed seeing the different things Sunset did in order to try to break it.  While the main 7 outside of Sunset, Pinkie, and Sci Twi didn't really do much, Rarity did have a few amusing lines that I appreciated.  It was also nice to see the Dazzlings again and I found their banter here to also be pretty enjoyable.  The True Original song was also pretty decent.  Overall, I had a pretty great time watching it, and as the final special, I have to say that it let things end on a high note all things considered.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This... gets better in the last two parts. There are some good Pinkie Pie moments throughout this, the song is catchy, and the security guard guy is just generally funny. That's true throughout the special, but the jokes just generally get better towards the end; before that, there's a lot of really annoying Pinkie Pie moments as well, and she has a weird breakdown that seems way too exaggerated. Those last two parts are more upbeat and charming, because they aren't focused on Sunset being selfish. But even there the story is simplistic and drawn-out, and I can't help but wonder why Pinkie's distractions were a problem if they had enough time to do all of those things and still catch Post Crush after all. 

I wouldn't really say I liked this, though. I kinda like that Sunset gets to look bad here, but they go way too far and make her completely unsympathetic. Her motivation is just so selfish that it frankly makes her kinda annoying, and the story is the most completely slapdash, boilerplate one yet. But at times the special seems to be trying to make that a serious big deal, as if I could possibly care about whether or not Sunset gets to see some band. I mean, yeah, missing a show sucks, but it's not exactly the end of the world. It's almost immediately obvious what she's going to learn, so watching this stretch that out for so long gets absolutely excruciating at times; at one point, she lashes out at Dash as if she doesn't know it's a time loop, and the special seems completely unaware how hackneyed that is. Plus I'm not entirely sure why she got caught in the time loop. 

Post Crush are yet another example of this show's villain problem; their motivation is also pretty selfish, so it's kinda hard to buy their sudden turnaround. It's frustrating to watch this show repeatedly fumble when the last Friendship is Magic season finally pulled itself together in this respect. The moral about "perfection" is good, but this doesn't feel like a good way to tell it. And it's nice to see the Dazzlings again, but their appearance is pure filler. This special doesn't seem like it has 45 minutes of story to begin with, and watching this strain to reach emotional high and low points as if this story is anything more than Sunset being immature is baffling. I'm not entirely sure why this exists. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

21 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

This... gets better in the last two parts. There are some good Pinkie Pie moments throughout this, the song is catchy, and the security guard guy is just generally funny. That's true throughout the special, but the jokes just generally get better towards the end; before that, there's a lot of really annoying Pinkie Pie moments as well, and she has a weird breakdown that seems way too exaggerated. Those last two parts are more upbeat and charming, because they aren't focused on Sunset being selfish. But even there the story is simplistic and drawn-out, and I can't help but wonder why Pinkie's distractions were a problem if they had enough time to do all of those things and still catch Post Crush after all. 

I wouldn't really say I liked this, though. I kinda like that Sunset gets to look bad here, but they go way too far and make her completely unsympathetic. Her motivation is just so selfish that it frankly makes her kinda annoying, and the story is the most completely slapdash, boilerplate one yet. But at times the special seems to be trying to make that a serious big deal, as if I could possibly care about whether or not Sunset gets to see some band. I mean, yeah, missing a show sucks, but it's not exactly the end of the world. It's almost immediately obvious what she's going to learn, so watching this stretch that out for so long gets absolutely excruciating at times; at one point, she lashes out at Dash as if she doesn't know it's a time loop, and the special seems completely unaware how hackneyed that is. Plus I'm not entirely sure why she got caught in the time loop. 

Post Crush are yet another example of this show's villain problem; their motivation is also pretty selfish, so it's kinda hard to buy their sudden turnaround. It's frustrating to watch this show repeatedly fumble when the last Friendship is Magic season finally pulled itself together in this respect. The moral about "perfection" is good, but this doesn't feel like a good way to tell it. And it's nice to see the Dazzlings again, but their appearance is pure filler. This special doesn't seem like it has 45 minutes of story to begin with, and watching this strain to reach emotional high and low points as if this story is anything more than Sunset being immature is baffling. I'm not entirely sure why this exists.

Hi, I'm here to defend Sunset.  She had a whole 1 time in the movie that I could say she was being selfish, and even there, it was understandable because Pinkie Pie couldn't stay on task for two seconds and she ended up being the reason both her and Sunset were kicked out.  Twice.  I find myself on the opposite side of what you're saying because I thought that for the most part they made Pinkie unsympathetic.  Like, Pinkie, you were supposed to be alerting Sunset to if the Dazzlings were coming back, not running off to go get churros!  That could have gone so much worse for Sunset, but apparently, I'm supposed to feel sorry for PINKIE when Sunset gets justifiably angry and says that she's sick of Pinkie ruining everything by running off to go get churros.  I mean, Pinkie, Sunset's not wrong, in fact, she's very right, and again, while you didn't know about the times you got her kicked out of the park, you know full well you were supposed to be guarding the van and you ran off to get churros.  I was VERY frustrated with Pinkie Pie during this movie.  Her motivation is not selfish, she and Pinkie have been looking forward and planning for this day, and Pinkie keeps ruining it, and then Sunset is stuck in a time loop, the same thing over and over and over again with no idea why, and also Sunset has anger management issues that have been established in other films before this, she gets frustrated, she lashes out and says things she might regret later.  We saw this in Friendship Games, Forgotten Friendship, Rollercoaster of Friendship, Game Stream, and now here in Sunset's Backstage Pass.  Also, the conflict changes in the middle of the movie to being about getting out of the time loop.  And finally, it exists for the same reason Rollercoaster of Friendship(The worst EQG and MLP film in my opinion) exists, to make money.

21 minutes ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

Hi, I'm here to defend Sunset.  She had a whole 1 time in the movie that I could say she was being selfish, and even there, it was understandable because Pinkie Pie couldn't stay on task for two seconds and she ended up being the reason both her and Sunset were kicked out Twice. 

But Sunset was so aggressively rude over something ultimately so petty that I couldn't sympathize with her, and it didn't help that the special was constantly underlining how wrong she is to lash out. Both characters only act in extremes here, and I found them both very annoying because of that; Sunset was right to be frustrated, but it doesn't seem like a good enough reason to treat Pinkie so badly. Maybe this would have been less of an issue if this special weren't so predictable and simple. 

24 minutes ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

I find myself on the opposite side of what you're saying because I thought that for the most part they made Pinkie unsympathetic.  Like, Pinkie, you were supposed to be alerting Sunset to if the Dazzlings were coming back, not running off to go get churros!  That could have gone so much worse for Sunset, but apparently, I'm supposed to feel sorry for PINKIE when Sunset gets justifiably angry and says that she's sick of Pinkie ruining everything by running off to go get churros.  I mean, Pinkie, Sunset's not wrong, in fact, she's very right, and again, while you didn't know about the times you got her kicked out of the park, you know full well you were supposed to be guarding the van and you ran off to get churros.  I was VERY frustrated with Pinkie Pie during this movie. 

I didn't really like Pinkie in a lot of this either. I found her apparently debilitating addiction to inedible churros pretty funny, but I also felt like it made her look incredibly stupid, which I was really annoyed by - essentially, my reaction to this special in a nutshell. But I couldn't really get behind Sunset's joy to be rid of her either, because it just seemed so petty and immature. Isn't Pinkie supposed to be her friend? I dislike this special in general. 

It would have been so much more interesting if they had done away with the time loop entirely and just had a shorter story about Sunset getting increasingly frustrated with Pinkie, and eventually the two of them learn to better accommodate each other. 

27 minutes ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

and also Sunset has anger management issues that have been established in other films before this, she gets frustrated, she lashes out and says things she might regret later.

On paper I admire that they doubled down with this one, but the way they went about it feels like one of those Friendship is Magic episodes where someone does a bad thing for a bad reason and we all know it's bad from start to finish. It's disappointing that we won't get to see what a more nuanced story about Sunset's anger would look like. 

29 minutes ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

Rollercoaster of Friendship(The worst EQG and MLP film in my opinion)

I can't be the only person who thinks that's the best Equestria Girls special.

@AlexanderThrond:  I'm going to quote something I said in one of my blogs: In Sunset's Backstage Pass, Sunset's anger at Pinkie Pie was ABSOLUTELY justified.  Pinkie Pie knew how much this meant to Sunset, yet she couldn't stay focused for five seconds which in Pinkie Pie language means I don't care too much for this thing or the person who really wants to see this thing, because otherwise she would do everything in her power to make sure Sunset saw the show.  Also, Pinkie Pie Pie ran off to go get churros when Sunset was counting on her to warn her if the Dazzlings were coming, and even though the Dazzlings didn't do anything terrible, that could have turned out so much worse for Sunset, like while watching the movie I felt genuine fear for Sunset when Pinkie abandoned her job to go get churros.  Yet for some reason SUNSET is the one who has to learn to accept that apparently PINKIE was in the right for some reason.  Hey kids, even if your friend is ruining your day because they can't stay focused for ten seconds on your plans to go see something with them that you REALLY like, you're day is only perfect if you stick with your friend the whole day and never get mad at them because apparently that would make YOU the unreasonable bad person in this.

Even though the movie SAYS Sunset is in the wrong, Forgotten Friendship said that Sunset was in the wrong with Wallflower, so I don't think that the movie is 100% right about that.

40 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Maybe this would have been less of an issue if this special weren't so predictable and simple.

Yeah, I can understand frustration over something being so easy to know what the ending is.  That was my problem with Sweet and Smoky.

40 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Sunset's joy to be rid of her either

That was once.  Once in the whole movie, which she was actually in the wrong for.

41 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It would have been so much more interesting if they had done away with the time loop entirely and just had a shorter story about Sunset getting increasingly frustrated with Pinkie, and eventually the two of them learn to better accommodate each other. 

Actually, as much as I love this movie(My 3rd favorite), that does sound like a better idea.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

@AlexanderThrond:  I'm going to quote something I said in one of my blogs: In Sunset's Backstage Pass, Sunset's anger at Pinkie Pie was ABSOLUTELY justified.  Pinkie Pie knew how much this meant to Sunset, yet she couldn't stay focused for five seconds which in Pinkie Pie language means I don't care too much for this thing or the person who really wants to see this thing, because otherwise she would do everything in her power to make sure Sunset saw the show.  Also, Pinkie Pie Pie ran off to go get churros when Sunset was counting on her to warn her if the Dazzlings were coming, and even though the Dazzlings didn't do anything terrible, that could have turned out so much worse for Sunset, like while watching the movie I felt genuine fear for Sunset when Pinkie abandoned her job to go get churros.  Yet for some reason SUNSET is the one who has to learn to accept that apparently PINKIE was in the right for some reason.  Hey kids, even if your friend is ruining your day because they can't stay focused for ten seconds on your plans to go see something with them that you REALLY like, you're day is only perfect if you stick with your friend the whole day and never get mad at them because apparently that would make YOU the unreasonable bad person in this.

She was wrong because apparently she could have gone along with everything Pinkie was doing and still had time to see Post Crush. I don't really care for the moral either... it's just so basic. 

24 minutes ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

Yeah, I can understand frustration over something being so easy to know what the ending is.  That was my problem with Sweet and Smoky.

This one in particular is just incredibly stretched-out even though it doesn't do anything original.

26 minutes ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

Yeah but all of her complaining felt basically the same to me. It never seemed like she cared about Pinkie's feelings until near the end. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Dawn-Sunlight said:

How was Sunset supposed to know that?

I dunno, I was being sarcastic. How did she figure that out at the end, anyway? She didn’t actually make it to Post Crush in most of the loops.