Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Have you found any really old currency lately?

FirePuppy

Its a good thing that the States still considers all its older currency legal tender.

Here in the UK, they change coins or notes every so many years, and just declare the older ones worthless after a bit - which is a tax free windfall for the government (as it removes some money from circulation without any compensation)

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

"Series 1990" Old :laugh:

I haven't gotten into collecting US bills yet, but I bought a 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar the other day, so found it online? Lol.

No, it just came at a random time. By the way, this is the oldest $100 bill I have ever looked at personally to date.

It's rare enough that I find any currency these days, never mind its age. I have a pile of small change, and a quick inspection turned up '2 NEW PENCE' and '1 NEW PENNY' coins from 1971, which was when the UK switched to decimal currency and so is about as old as I could expect to find. 

1268525728_19711pand2pcoins.thumb.jpg.0fba31c2962d31b4260409155b903fdb.jpg

5 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Here in the UK, they change coins or notes every so many years, and just declare the older ones worthless after a bit - which is a tax free windfall for the government (as it removes some money from circulation without any compensation)

I think most banks will usually still accept them (I think they're accepting the old £1 for the foreseeable future.)

Also (and I'm being really pedantic here) it wouldn't be a 'tax free windfall' for the government as the effect of removing money from circulation would be deflation (which would increase the value of the valid currency - so it's effectively distributed between savers, which the government isn't.)

2 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

It's rare enough that I find any currency these days, never mind its age. I have a pile of small change, and a quick inspection turned up '2 NEW PENCE' and '1 NEW PENNY' coins from 1971, which was when the UK switched to decimal currency and so is about as old as I could expect to find. 

1268525728_19711pand2pcoins.thumb.jpg.0fba31c2962d31b4260409155b903fdb.jpg

I think most banks will usually still accept them (I think they're accepting the old £1 for the foreseeable future.)

I had a bunch of pre-decimalization coins for a while, not sure where they went, along with transition coins (many of the coins remained legal tender; the florin was worth 10p, the shilling 5p, but I can't recall if the sixpence or threepence were actually valued at that. These days sixpences are still occasionaly minted, but only for xmas puddings as they are not legal tender :)

2 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

Also (and I'm being really pedantic here) it wouldn't be a 'tax free windfall' for the government as the effect of removing money from circulation would be deflation (which would increase the value of the valid currency - so it's effectively distributed between savers, which the government isn't.)

I don't think that is true. The government minted the amount of cash they wanted to have in circulation for issue to banks (and from there, to us) and know how much was returned to banks and hence to the government to be destroyed. The banks have to pay for the currency they receive, but are recompensed for the money they return, so effectively those banks have paid the "missing" money to the government.  Money that is still legal tender but isn't being spent is the "dark matter" of the economy :)

9 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Its a good thing that the States still considers all its older currency legal tender.

yeah, I wish it was like that, but at the same time, it makes the older money worth more money,
probably the old £1 coin I have from my birthyear is probably worth a bit more than a pound,
and also I wish that I could use Scottish money in anywhere apart from Blackpool south of the border!

it just helps the government have more money than the people as all the money for politicians is in offshore bank accounts, making the rich/poor ratio increase, more and more, until everyone is poor and living in cage homes and the rich live in shitty flats like in Hong Kong

and I have an old £1 from 2004,
a West german 10 pennig coin from 1981,
and half a French Franc from 1973
(I'm counting my defunct coins)

I may add a Czech coin when they get the GDP for the Euro

• Brohoof 1

The only old currency I've found lately was an australian 5 cent coin dated 1994 and a US dime dated 2003. Found them during a sort out in my room. Not really old as such, but it's the oldest I've found only recently. I'm pretty sure I have an old shilling or farthing somewhere. :P

• Brohoof 1

I use to collect pre-1996 currency back when I was a teenager. I would go to several banks after getting paid and see if they had any old bills. Old 50's were easier to get, since they didn't seem to circulate as often.

Still have my collection and have added silver and gold certificates, bank notes, and U.S. Notes to it over the years. Tho I don't really collect old currency much anymore, it serves as my cash reserve for an extreme emergency. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last month I found a 1929 Canadian penny metal detecting. I used to do coin roll hunting, but ever since they removed the penny from circulation, it isn't as fun. If you count purchased currency, my oldest would be a Widows Mite fro 76-103 BCE.

Months ago, I found a dime (10 cent coin) from 1942. It's in pretty good shape. The cheapest value for one is a little over $1. Some are being sold online for much more than that, but only if they have a misprint. Mine doesn't appear to have one, but it's mostly composed of silver, so that's cool.

I also have two Kennedy half dollars from 1971 and 1989. Plus, I have a couple Canadian dollar coins from 1989 and 1990. Not nearly as old, though.