Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think the show would've been if it was mainly adventure based?

Plonkett

Do you think the show would've been as impactful if it was just an adventure show without the slice of stuff? I think the reason why the show is so loved is because it's use of character building with slice of life episodes.

• Brohoof 2

It's hard to say really, as a fully adventure based FIM would basically have been a totally different show, and since that version doesn't exist I can't say how good it would have been. I wouldn't trade our version of the show for anything however, the slice of life episodes and the focus on characters is a large reason I enjoy this show so much, the adventure episodes are fun too, but I feel like I care about them more when they happen because of all the slice of life stuff that let's me see what normal life in Equestria is like and really get to know these characters in their daily lives. 

Both the show and the fandom would probably look very, very different if this was a more adventure-focused show.

• Brohoof 2

I for one, would watch every episode if that was the case. I don't care much for the slice of life episodes personally, I want to see adventure, action, and that sort of thing. I'd love it.

• Brohoof 2

Well, there would be a lot more scenes where the characters almost die (especially the finales). Plus the villain would have a bigger presence and not be limited to just two-parters. Plus, Twilight might turn into an evil version of herself.

Though I'm honestly not that big of a fan of the slice-of-life genre in general, and would very likely love MLP more if the next generation ended up focusing more on the adventure aspect of it, I still have nothing other than appreciation for the version of the show we have. Even at its worst, I love how it teaches kids that life is an adventure you'll miss out on if you do not do good for others while making friends along the way. :fluttershy:

Had there been more adventure stories, we would've gotten much stronger story arcs as well as moments that would define the show for seasons to come. That's not to say what was provided of this style of story telling was bad. The adventure stories we got proved worthy of being such and gave many changes to the status quo that even now continue to have lasting effects.

• Brohoof 1

Gonna echo @cuteycindyhoney and @BastementSparkle above. Honestly, what would happen to the show would be a lot more different, both in fandom and story. If adventure dominated FIM instead of slice-of-life, it's possible their arcs would be more realized. But would it be as good as it is today? We don't know. The more simple and straightforward SoL backdrop help accentuate the character-driven stories that FIM became so known for, and I also wouldn't trade that for the outside shot, either.

• Brohoof 2

If the show was majorly adventure based, there would be a lot more to the stories of certain characters. In that regard, appeal to the show would vary to those who prefer the slice of life episodes, though I think the balance of both styles is usually what has the most appeal amongst fans.

Adventure stories in MLP aren't that special compared to other adventure shows. The reason why you consider adventure stories in MLP are so good and needed more is because the show made you care about the characters in the first place, and it's done by slice of life episodes. If it wasn't, you might have not considered MLP adventure stories good in the first place, or it wouldn't have been called "My" - "Little" - "Pony".

No, I think SoL was best for the show. IMO, it’s what really made the show what it was and where the characters really shined, in comparison adventure is usually inconsistent and mixed at best 

• Brohoof 3

17 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Gonna echo @cuteycindyhoney and @BastementSparkle above. Honestly, what would happen to the show would be a lot more different, both in fandom and story. If adventure dominated FIM instead of slice-of-life, it's possible their arcs would be more realized. But would it be as good as it is today? We don't know. The more simple and straightforward SoL backdrop help accentuate the character-driven stories that FIM became so known for, and I also wouldn't trade that for the outside shot, either.

Agreed. To me, what makes MLP so great is that it's a character driven show and not a plot driven show, which it could've been. You get better character development through SoL instead of adventure imo.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/3/2019 at 5:37 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Adventure stories in MLP aren't that special compared to other adventure shows. The reason why you consider adventure stories in MLP are so good and needed more is because the show made you care about the characters in the first place, and it's done by slice of life episodes. If it wasn't, you might have not considered MLP adventure stories good in the first place, or it wouldn't have been called "My" - "Little" - "Pony".

What? 'My Little Pony' doesn't sound adventurous to you? Never stopped Generation 1.

Anyone who's saying that action adventure is not character focused is selling copious amounts of bullshit.

That said, our western shows can only achieve true greatness through blind merit. And that can only be achieved once the corpse of the bloated entertainment industry is rotting in the ground, serving as fertilizer for the free market unfettered by dysfunctional ideologies. As things stand, the young generations of our glorious writers are incapable of writing action adventure. Then again, they're not good at SoL either. One can always learn to code.

I to am not a huge slice of life type and would have liked more adventure but we would definitely still need slice of life episodes in there.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, EDITH said:

No, I think SoL was best for the show. IMO, it’s what really made the show what it was and where the characters really shined, in comparison adventure is usually inconsistent and mixed at best 

The show made an impact by being primarily slice of life with sprinkles of adventure throughout. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I thought that the show took a dive into sinkhole by not being an adventure based show, and prioritizing a a generic SOL approach. 

Ask yourself why MLP became as popular as it is. Is it because Twilight came to a small village town and defeated an alicorn princess? Or is it because Twilight had been doing horse taxes, and that was really exciting to watch?

Edited by R.D.Dash

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, R.D.Dash said:

I thought that the show took a dive into sinkhole by not being an adventure based show, and prioritizing a a generic SOL approach. 

Ask yourself why MLP became as popular as it is. Is it because Twilight came to a small village town and defeated an alicorn princess? Or is it because Twilight had been doing horse taxes, and that was really exciting to watch?

Here's how I look at it.  Say the show is adventure-based.  Or more likely, say the show is like a Magical Girl show.  There would still be slice of life elements in the show, because you'd still have an 'issue of the day'.  That's how almost every action cartoon works.  So honestly, outside of there being a dedicated villain for the show (or at least one in each season), I don't think it would be all that different from what we have now.  There would just be a fight in each episode against the bad guys, followed by a resolution of the issue of the day. 

The only exception is when you get close to the end of the season and the final battle with the villain.  Then you might have a tonal shift for a few episodes, but right back to normal afterward with a new villain to replace the one that was defeated (and probably some kind of new power for the protagonists, in order to sell more toys).

I'm actually surprised Hasbro hasn't done this yet, because this is a potential cash cow waiting to happen.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1