Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you feel slightly depressed during your birthday?

Sepul-Coloratura

I don't know why, but I slightly feel a little down when it's my birthday.

I don't hate my birthday, I might like it, but things I like about it has nothing to do with the day being my birthday. Everybody celebrates me and I don't know how to react, I just say "thank you" and move on. I don't feel like any of it is earned. I feel less comfortable during the day. People asking me what I want for my birthday feels awkward, and I wouldn't be offended or feel sad if everyone just casually let my birthday pass by. Of course I'm thankful for everything they do and I care for all the people close to me, and I like being with my friends and family.

Is there anyone out there feels this way?

• Brohoof 5

I tend to feel extremely depressed on my birthday. Not including the fact that my birthday every year now is literally nothing, I didn't even have a cake last year, but my birthday is a very clear marker. It is showing just how far away I am getting from what were the happiest days of my life, many years ago. I am only 26, yet I feel like I am already going through my mid-life crisis. Each year that goes by, I know I am getting closer to my death, closer to potential homelessness, and becoming cared about less and less. Because of all of this, I don't think I will even acknowledge my birthday from this point on. Not much of a point anymore.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't call it a depressed feeling, but I never enjoy my birthday either. I always feel less comfortable during that time of the year too, and whenever someone asks what I want, I always default to "money" so that the person leaves me alone. I honestly don't really care about my birthday at all anymore. I don't see why I should celebrate another year of life, but I'll happily accept anything someone wants to give me. Free stuff is always good.

I'm feeling quite happy, because my age is just a number. But I feel deeply depressed when I see that number and know how others arround me with that number acts. My inside can newer get older than I choose.

• Brohoof 1

My birthday is on Halloween so feeling down is unlikely since it’s my favorite holiday. Plus the fact of getting closer to my death is nothing to be sad about. 

• Brohoof 2

I sometimes forget that it's my birthday or at least suddenly remember a day before it occurs. I also keep forgetting my age. I don't really get depressed about my birthday though. I might jokingly curse about being another year closer to spinsterhood. But nothing really to suggest depression about it.

It would however feel nice to actually do something for my birthday rather than the usual day to day tasks. And to actually get more than two cards. A cake would be nice too... :blink:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It’s just a normal day to me. I don’t typically celebrate with anyone anymore (at least irl :Pand no one knows since I don’t just tell people that it’s my birthday.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

Not really, my birthday is usually a nice occurrence. :pinkie: But in the recent years, I've sometimes had quite a terrible age crisis in the days after, thinking about how another year has passed, and I haven't reached my goals. :sunny: Thankfully, this year it didn't feel nearly as bad as last year – that was my absolute low point in that regard. :derp:

• Brohoof 5

I wouldn't say I get a depressed feeling, but it's definitely bittersweet. I guess it's the feeling that I'm getting older too quickly and I'm not doing anything with my life.

• Brohoof 2

I always feel the most isolated on my birthday since there's no family or friends around to be surrounded by, no one even sends me presents anymore.  When I turned 26, I figured I should at least put some effort into celebrating my birthday since I never thought I'd live past 25 when I was younger.  So I try to treat myself to something small for my birthday these days.  Last year, I made the mistake of buying a horrid cake from the grocery store, this year I think I want to try making some pie.

The only thing that makes me slightly depressed on my birthday is the fact that it's going to come and go so quickly. Otherwise, it's something I'm very happy to have. Even as the day goes by so fast, I find comfort in the fact that time will go fast enough for it to be close to my birthday again before I even know it. :pinkie: 

My birthday is a good and bad experience. I’m going to be 25 in less than a month now, and that’s a really weird feeling. I still feel like a teenager sometimes (which is weird but yeah!)...

The attention and gifts are good, but there’s a lot of negativity attached to my birthday (stuff I don’t wanna particularly talk about here, but certain things happened around my birthday a few years ago and it’s still hard to deal with).

Hopefully it’ll get easier to come to terms with as I get older.

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Is there anyone out there feels this way?

Yes.  I generally don't like holidays to begin with, and I don't like being the center of attention.  Celebrating the achievement of being born doesn't make any logical sense, either.  I also hate the institution of gift giving altogether, for pretty much all the reasons that Sheldon Cooper espouses.  Boy, I just sound like a barrel of laughs, don't I?  :laugh:  I think it's wonderful to celebrate and appreciate the people you love and the things you like.  Holidays, parties, and gift giving just aren't my preferred method for doing that.  (Pinkie would hate me.)  It doesn't help that I hate large groups and loud noise.  To top it off, I've now passed that line where getting older sucks.  It's good for awhile, until you reach the point where you're no longer improving physically, and you know it's a gradual downhill from here, and then it's like, "Okay, that's enough.  I wanted to grow up, but now I'd like to stop aging please, thank you."

Luckily, I just live with my parents and no one else, and they perfectly understand my feelings about birthdays and holidays.  We don't exchange gifts anymore.  The only thing we do for birthdays is go out for dinner and let the birthday person choose where to go.

Don't worry, when you get older people will stop asking you what you want for your birthday.

I feel it a little bit, but usually only when I'm working, and I make sure my coworkers don't know about it because it's the last thing I wanted to be reminded of while not bein able to celebrate.