Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you feel slightly depressed during your birthday?

Sepul-Coloratura

Depressed is not the right word to describe this. Depression is something that lasts for weeks, not for a mere day or hours.

But to answer the question I do feel slightly sad on birthdays, but it's nothing, really.

• Brohoof 1

I've been depressed with my birthday every year now for the past fourteen years due to my age issues. It's a rather complicated explanation so I won't go into details, but I will say that it requires me to take medication daily to supress it.

Birthdays don’t depress me. They don’t excite me either. I just sort of regard the fact of them and live like it’s any other day. Some people I know enjoy making a celebration out of it and that’s fine if they want to, but I’d be just as happy if there was no birthday at all. That’s my official answer.

Spoiler

Off the record I want my presents and I want my cake. Any deviation from these necessary formalities will result in anger, crying and perpetual resentment.  

• Brohoof 2

Maybe in generally as well but at least for me it's easier to take part in someone else's celebration. Then i don't have to be in the middle of attention. Last time i celebrated my bday was when i turned 18. After that i stopped. Then and before i've felt those celebrations bit excessive, like, c'mon i'm just one year older again, shall we move on?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

My birthday is no different than any other day of the year. I usually try to ignore it and wait for it to go away. My roommate usually has other plans that make this impossible, so I let her have her fun and then get back to business as usual when it's over. 

I can get a bit down if I've got nothing going on for my birthday. That kind of happened on my last birthday, since I'm away from home and I didn't really have anything planned. My roommate made me a cake though, so it wasn't all bad.

No. Well, not yet.

I think I have until I reach my 70s until I start feeling depressed on my birthdays :mellow:

The only negative thing I can say about when it's my own birthday nowadays is that what used to be a day where I'm expected to be celebrated by my family and what friends I had back in grade school now feels like it's turned into what TV Tropes calls "A Birthday, Not a Break". Now, while that trope means terrible things happens on someone's birthday, and at worst, nothing terrible has happened to me yet, the whole "not getting a break on my birthday" still applies.Like I was still expected to do chores and job searching on my birthday back in 2016. 

Still, since I now at least have a part time job that brings in steady income, my stepmom, who kindly but firmly wants me to seek a full time job has become more lenient as long as I'm being productive either in House Work to gain work experience for a full time cleaning job, or doing my blog that could potentially be a hobby that pays. But I digress

Short version: I don't feel sad on my birthday, but it simply no longer has as much excitement as Christmas Morning or going to Disneyland as it used to, since it just feels like any other day.

Not for the reasons it might for others.

I work with some people that are quite a bit younger than me and sometimes I'll hear them say they were disappointed by not getting a gift or something from a friend of theirs and it really disturbs me. I genuinely never have any expectations on my birthday at all so if someone decides to do something nice, it's very well-appreciated. I get a little depressed only because my daughter passed away on my birthday so it's not so much a holiday for me. Normally I just work throughout the day and hope nothing too terribly bad comes up and if not, thank the Lord it turned out well and for giving me another year.

• 1 month later...

I always felt depressed on my birthday. I never actualy had a party, i dont have many friends. Theres been a few times no one remembered. The only person who did was my mom since my parents are divorced. Sometimes i just want to die. A birthday is just a step closer to a scary world after 12th grade graduation.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

All the time, everyone I know forgets about my birthday and it's depressing because I'll always remember everyone else's birthday and wish them a happy birthday, besides that not really it's just another day for me. 

On 7/5/2019 at 9:18 PM, Thuja said:

I always feel the most isolated on my birthday since there's no family or friends around to be surrounded by, no one even sends me presents anymore.  When I turned 26, I figured I should at least put some effort into celebrating my birthday since I never thought I'd live past 25 when I was younger.  So I try to treat myself to something small for my birthday these days.  Last year, I made the mistake of buying a horrid cake from the grocery store, this year I think I want to try making some pie.

Totally forgot about this post.  Made pie, it was tasty.  I should try making my own crust next time though.

• 2 months later...