Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Best And Worst Cities You've Been To This Year?

Denim&Venöm

So on your travels this year, what was the best city and worst city you've stayed more than a day at?

And no, you're home town doesn't count for the former and hopefully the latter.

Ex: for me thus far, the worst has been NYC. Pain to get around. Everything was expensive. So freaking crowded. 

Best: Dallas, TX. Not too crowded. Nice people. Efficient ways to get around. Great food. Beautiful architecture. 

Your turn. 

• Brohoof 1

I haven’t traveled much this past year except for when I went to Atlanta GA last Fall and that was nothing new. I’ve been to Atlanta dozens of times. I really like it there, though. For some reason. :dash: Just the downtown city streets are awful to navigate. :mlp_gag: 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not this year but the previous ones. Worst is Las Vegas. It’s hot as hell, ugly, overly expensive to buy or do anything there and I don’t see what’s so fun and great about it. Unless you come in as a boujee. Never again.

Best San Diego. 

Edited by TBD

I'm a coutry pony and don't like cities at all. But beeing born in a City hell long ago, I know what it is about to live in one. Compared to other places on earth I live in the quite unpopulated Scandinavia. So most of the times I look for a place that is rather calm and suits my mind, if I can choose where to travel. I have been in New York and that was way out of my liking. Crowded, expensive and a "mind your own business" attitude. Then the city of Stockholm is not my place, people are just caring of themself and like to show off their expensive cars, unhelpfull and simply just not my type of pony. Well of course there are some good ones too, but this is my general experience.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 7/6/2019 at 11:19 AM, Denim&Venom said:

Ex: for me thus far, the worst has been NYC. Pain to get around. Everything was expensive. So freaking crowded. 

Best: Dallas, TX. Not too crowded. Nice people. Efficient ways to get around. Great food. Beautiful architecture. 

That hurts Denim, oof

You were probably trying to get around NYC the way people get around other smaller cities, with cars. There is a lot of traffic on the roads even outside of Manhattan. Don't do this. Drop your car off somewhere as soon as you get into the city, and use public transportation. Basically anywhere you want to go is within walking distance of train/subway or a bus. Once you figure this out its fairly easy to get around

Once you get out of Manhattan, prices are way better and the crowds lessen, though traffic mostly doesn't and public transportation is still better. Manhattan is what people tend to see first and measure the whole city on, but NYC is actually multiple boroughs with their own separate infrastructures like separate cities. In fact people are encouraged to put their separate borough in their mailing address, not New York, New York, as that's Manhattan.

Please give NYC another chance?

Okay so I don't really have a best city, but it would probably have to be Hershey or that place with the college in Connecticut which name I forgot. The areas I visited were gorgeous

Worst city was probably Long Branch in New Jersey, or was it Long Beach? Anyway I could not get around without a car and had to be ferried back and forth from the hotel to the station to get back to public transportation. But this is a fairly common problem for anyone who doesn't have a car, relying on public transportation, and the city was otherwise wonderful 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 3

Best: Dresden was pretty great! I love the architecture and it was fun to wander around. Looked especially beautiful in the snowflakes.

And it was kinda cool to be back in Berlin again, even if I couldn’t do either of the things I wanted to do... Next time?

Worst: Los Angeles. Just superhuge highways endlessly filled with cars, and big boring modern buildings that all look the same :eww:

I’ll be going to NYC myself for the first time next month. Looking forward to it; I’m pretty sure I’d never want to live there but it seems like a place everyone should experience for themselves at least once.

42 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

That hurts Denim, oof

You were probably trying to get around NYC the way people get around other smaller cities, with cars. There is a lot of traffic on the roads even outside of Manhattan. Don't do this. Drop your car off somewhere as soon as you get into the city, and use public transportation. Basically anywhere you want to go is within walking distance of train/subway or a bus. Once you figure this out its fairly easy to get around

Once you get out of Manhattan, prices are way better and the crowds lessen, though traffic mostly doesn't and public transportation is still better. Manhattan is what people tend to see first and measure the whole city on, but NYC is actually multiple boroughs with their own separate infrastructures like separate cities. In fact people are encouraged to put their separate borough in their mailing address, not New York, New York, as that's Manhattan.

Plesse give NYC another chance?

Okay so I don't really have a best city, but it would probably have to be Hershey or that place with the college in Connecticut which name I forgot. The areas I visited were gorgeous

Worst city was probably Long Branch in New Jersey, or was it Long Beach? Anyway I could not get around without a car and had to be ferried back and forth from the hotel to the station to get back to public transportation. But this is a fairly common problem for anyone who doesn't have a car, relying on public transportation, and the city was otherwise wonderful 

Speaking as someone who has been to New York City 8 times, I can confirm that this is absolutely true. You can’t approach NYC like you would approach a small city. 

I for one absolutely love NYC. :D 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't gone anywhere within this year. I did go to Branson, Missouri on the tail end of last year, but that was the last place I can recall.

48 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

That hurts Denim, oof

Plesse give NYC another chance?

I guess I'll keep that in mind next time I have an excuse to go to NYC. Didn't have the motivation or the time to explore outside Manehatten this last trip. 

• Brohoof 1