Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What to do with the recurring antagonist in my story?

Octavia Heartstrings

I'm currently working on an Equestria Girls fanfic called See How the Night Sky Glows, which tells the story of the romance between Sky Scraper (my OC/ponysona) and Lyra. Other characters such as Bon Bon, Sugarcoat and the OCs of two of my friends on these forums, appear as supporting characters.

The antagonist in my story is Noteworthy. I chose him for the antagonist role because Lyra x Noteworthy seems to be the most common straight ship for Lyra. While he's just another background pony in the actual show (and not even seen in Equestria Girls), in my fanfic he is an arrogant and rude blowhard who thinks he's much better at everything than he actually is. He is in the same gym class as Sky (or was until their fight in Chapter 6).

Here's an outline of what Noteworthy has done in the story so far:

• Chapter 4: Sky is in a grumpy mood at lunch and cites Noteworthy's obnoxious behavior during gym class as the reason. Sky's friends agree that Noteworthy is an insufferable jerk.
  • Chapter 5: Sky and Noteworthy are put up against each other in a badminton game, and Sky wins easily. Noteworthy angrily accuses Sky of cheating multiple times, and before leaving the gym, he glares and points at Sky. Later, Sky confesses his crush on Lyra to two of his friends, and Noteworthy overhears.
  • Chapter 6: When Sky is walking to gym class, he spots Noteworthy trying to hit on Lyra and making her very uncomfortable. Noteworthy sees Sky and smirks at him, at which point Lyra gives Noteworthy the middle finger and leaves. Sky goes over to question Noteworthy, and soon realizes that Noteworthy only hit on Lyra because he's still mad about the badminton game. An argument escalates, which boils over when Noteworthy attempts to punch Sky. Sky blocks it and punches Noteworthy in the nose. Both boys are summoned to Principal Celestia's office, and are both given a three-day suspension from school. Before leaving, Noteworthy swears his revenge on Sky.

If you're wondering, I'm up to Chapter 8 so far. I'm having difficulty figuring out what to do with Noteworthy moving forward. My idea was for him to be a regular jerk to Sky, similar to Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter series. Another idea I had was that he was rejected by Lyra in ninth grade, and is bitter over the rejection and actually jealous of Sky. Anyone have any advice?

• Brohoof 1

Do you want him to be a static jerk character or do you want him to have some character growth? If you want character growth, think about if you want it to be positive or negative. An idea for a ositive would be that he learns to be nicer and eventually be friends with Sky.  A negative would be his revenge consumes him until he's kicked out of school. Even in the end, Draco showed that he's not a complete jerk. He was a product of his father being an *sshole.