FlareGun45

International Early Releases Discussion Post (episode 21 released)

(edited)
3 hours ago, Truffles said:
6 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

Hide contents

That is one of the unfortunate aspects of episode 19. I wasn't put off by it since all three characters share some of the blame for the painful situation they ended up in before they managed to air everything out and fix things up. (Gabby stealing Spike away for herself may have been accidental, so she shares the least of the blame if we give her that benefit of the doubt.) And Rarity did feel put off by how Spike dismissed her - he was thoughtless in not realizing what he was doing. (And he paid the price for it during that montage of him looking more miserable than he's ever looked before.)

Despite Rarity showing how she can rise above in the end, I'm afraid this episode will be used by Rarity haters as another example of her petulance, and that's really the only thing that's unfortunate.

Spoiler

I can see how the episode is definitely a good one, but since Rarity is one of my favorite characters I didn't really enjoy the episode.

First things first, Rarity likes having Spike as a helper and he's really good at it. Her first reaction to not having him on call was to look for someone else's help. It was only after realizing that no one else helped her the same way as him that she became frustrated of Spike spending time with Gabby. She then changed her approach by giving Spike things he liked with the goal of regaining his help.

I don't like to feel so unsympathetic towards Rarity, but she did act like a Selfish B*tch during this episode.

In terms of 'blame' I don't hold Spike or Gabby accountable for anything because they really seem to enjoy the time they're spending together and they're only getting to know each other better, which is completely normal when you become new friends with someone. There's absolutely nothing that Spike owns to Rarity and she should have known better, being the only clear adult of the three.

So, yeah. Rarity haters may use this episode to point the finger at her, and they would be right about it. That doesn't mean she's any less of the amazing character she is, it only means that her worse traits are really disgusting.

Edited by DonMaguz

(edited)
Spoiler

Spike/Gabby makes sense when you think about it. They're both the nicest members of their species, they both love helping others, and they both have a wide range of skills and talents.

Edited by VG_Addict

Badges

1 hour ago, DonMaguz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I can see how the episode is definitely a good one, but since Rarity is one of my favorite characters I didn't really enjoy the episode.

First things first, Rarity likes having Spike as a helper and he's really good at it. Her first reaction to not having him on call was to look for someone else's help. It was only after realizing that no one else helped her the same way as him that she became frustrated of Spike spending time with Gabby. She then changed her approach by giving Spike things he liked with the goal of regaining his help.

I don't like to feel so unsympathetic towards Rarity, but she did act like a Selfish B*tch during this episode.

In terms of 'blame' I don't hold Spike or Gabby accountable for anything because they really seem to enjoy the time they're spending together and they're only getting to know each other better, which is completely normal when you become new friends with someone. There's absolutely nothing that Spike owns to Rarity and she should have known better, being the only clear adult of the three.

So, yeah. Rarity haters may use this episode to point the finger at her, and they would be right about it. That doesn't mean she's any less of the amazing character she is, it only means that her worse traits are really disgusting.

The episode isn't really just about Rarity wanting Spike's help though, it's about Rarity wanting to spend time with him in general. Though their time spent together often is with him helping her in various ways, since Rarity is such a busy pony and their relationship is what it is today mostly because Spike has always been so eager and willing to go out of his way to help her, and thus that's how most of their time with each other is spent. Of course Rarity goes to get other ponies help instead of Spike's because she likely still needs to get these jobs done with or without Spike's help, but even before realizing Applejack wasn't as good of a help Rarity was still upset by not having Spike around. Heck, one of the activities she even flashes back to is just the two of them at the spa and him eating her eye cucumbers. He's not helping her with anything there.

Rarity certainly isn't being her most generous here, but I think the episode makes it pretty clear that her desire to spend time with Spike is far more than just wanting his help with things.

4 hours ago, Truffles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That is one of the unfortunate aspects of episode 19. I wasn't put off by it since all three characters share some of the blame for the painful situation they ended up in before they managed to air everything out and fix things up. (Gabby stealing Spike away for herself may have been accidental, so she shares the least of the blame if we give her that benefit of the doubt.) And Rarity did feel put off by how Spike dismissed her - he was thoughtless in not realizing what he was doing. (And he paid the price for it during that montage of him looking more miserable than he's ever looked before.)

Despite Rarity showing how she can rise above in the end, I'm afraid this episode will be used by Rarity haters as another example of her petulance, and that's really the only thing that's unfortunate.

No, he isn't and doesn't. And I just gave several examples in my previous post demonstrating that.

As I said, Spike went through puberty last season. Rarity has been an adult throughout the entire show. He’s always had more of a childlike mentality when compared to the Mane 6. That doesn’t mean I’d put him on the same level as the CMC but he’s definitely too young to be in a relationship with someone like Rarity. 

Badges

(edited)
Spoiler

The episode physically hurts, because it made Rarity feel rejected and upset.

Episode 19

Edited by R.D.Dash

Also, to add on about what Jim Miller said in a retweet about Spike's age a few years ago.

Screenshot_20190720-151504.thumb.png.b0eddcd49b344964d341436d73947513.png

After that, Jim said:

Screenshot_20190720-151518.thumb.png.b782b2de12376e5c46c5e3e20b25d524.png

The discussion stops there between the two.

I still see Spike has a teen close to his adult years. So the age gap doesn't really bother me and because it's a fantasy world with it's own rules and customs we likely haven't seen yet. If it's no big deal to the characters, it shouldn't be a big deal to us.

But I look forward to Episode 20 soon.

Well, looks like Spike ended up dating one of the cuties, but the most unexpected one :mlp_icwudt:

(edited)
18 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:
  Hide contents

The episode physically hurts, because it made Rarity feel rejected and upset.

Episode 19

She's done that to him plenty of times in the first half of the series - especially season 1, and episodes like Simple Ways! This is only ONE episode she's having a taste of her own medicine!

Edited by FlareGun45

(edited)

Ugh, relationship between Spike and Rarity is the one where I wish people took their mind out of the gutter. They are just really good friends. :bedeyes:

@FlareGun45

Spoiler

Yes, I agree with you somewhat. Rarity understood how much she misses Spike in this episode.

Edited by R.D.Dash

(edited)
1 hour ago, FlareGun45 said:

Hide contents

She's done that to him plenty of times in the first half of the series - especially season 1, and episodes like Simple Ways! This is only ONE episode she's having a taste of her own medicine!

I disagree very strongly. The only time she ever  took advantage of him in my eyes was getting him to carry all that luggage in Season 4 and even then, Spike was doing these requests of his own free will. A slave he is not. Not to Twilight and not to Rarity.

Edited by Will Guide

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

I disagree very strongly. The only time she ever  took advantage of him in my eyes was getting him to carry all that luggage in Season 4 and even then, Spike was doing these requests of his own free will. A slave he is not. Not to Twilight and not to Rarity.

Does it matter? It's not like that anymore! :P

BTW I didn't say "slave", I said she neglected his feelings in the earlier seasons.

Edited by FlareGun45

(edited)

Found this at Equestria Daily:

Coursty of The Dragon Warlock at Equestria Daily:

Spoiler

"Some people seem to think this episode brings an end to Sparity and the shipping is sunk. However, the answer is a simple no. It's far from being sunk.

Contrary to what some people may think, I don't think this episode sunk Sparity. It gave it more strength when you think about it. People keep thinking Rarity was ignoring Spike, and in this episode she learned the hard way about how useful and helpful he's been to her. Rarity had to learn that Spike isn't always going to be with her, and she got jealous of him hanging with Gabby. Gabby too had realized she was hogging Spike a bit too much and learned the same feeling Rarity had about Spike not being around her. They both have learned to share Spike in their own way.

And something I should point out is that Spike seemed like he was still interested in Rarity and wanting to be with her. He was shocked to learn Rarity loved being with him, and that at the end he always looks forward to being with Rarity and spending time with her. So no, I don't think Sparity has been sunk. It's just gained a new rival in the form of Spabby (Gabby X Spike). So while this episode doesn't 100% confirm Sparity, I still hold a belief that it's still strong as ever. Besides, there's always a harem if it comes down to it."

Edited by bwrosas

Probably the closest thing to closure we'll get on Sparity. I'm ok with it. Never thought of Gabby as a ship but kudos to the writers for thinking outside the box on that one.

Best part of Spike/Gabby is that they're closer in age, which is a relief.

Plus, they can both fly, which is always a lot of fun, compared to being stuck on the ground like an Earth Pony/Unicorn~

Badges

1 hour ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Best part of Spike/Gabby is that they're closer in age, which is a relief.

Plus, they can both fly, which is always a lot of fun, compared to being stuck on the ground like an Earth Pony/Unicorn~

Spoiler

I think that the best part is that Gabby actually cares and has legitimate interest in what Spike likes to do.

Probably meant for a separate topic but I see no romantic relationship going on with either Rarity or Gabby with Spike.  Never have; rather, Spike just had a crush on Rarity, to which she used to monopolize him.  Nothing else compelling that would allude to romance.

Badges

(edited)
On 7/20/2019 at 2:19 PM, DonMaguz said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

I agree with everything you said in your post except this part. While I can see how Gabby could be considered faultless, I still can't say the same for Spike: Even if Rarity is the adult (and the element of Generosity, for that matter) she still has emotions. She may not be owed anything by Spike, but she does deserve some respect - and he didn't seem to be giving that to her at several key moments. So I guess I still feel some sympathy for her predicament, especially since she went out of her way to make her daily routine work without him.

Edited by Truffles

Badges

There is a link to ep 20 in english audio on ED

(edited)
1 minute ago, Rushing cash said:

There is a link to ep 20 in english audio on ED

Where specifically?

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic

On 7/20/2019 at 11:24 PM, Will Guide said:

Also, to add on about what Jim Miller said in a retweet about Spike's age a few years ago.

Screenshot_20190720-151504.thumb.png.b0eddcd49b344964d341436d73947513.png

After that, Jim said:

Screenshot_20190720-151518.thumb.png.b782b2de12376e5c46c5e3e20b25d524.png

The discussion stops there between the two.

I still see Spike has a teen close to his adult years. So the age gap doesn't really bother me and because it's a fantasy world with it's own rules and customs we likely haven't seen yet. If it's no big deal to the characters, it shouldn't be a big deal to us.

But I look forward to Episode 20 soon.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with the premise that their age is "irrelevant" because they are fictional characters. These are the same characters that the writers use to convey lessons onto the audience, so when they present an adult character getting jealous that her much younger friend is spending time with someone else as the emotional conclusion of their arc, I'll take issue. The thing with Sparity is that Spike is not and never was on Rarity's level of maturity because she was way older than him. Rarity is the same age/around the same age as Twilight, who is Spike's caretaker. It's gross.

Badges

Episode 20 was a great episode.

Good lesson as always.

I’m glad to see Twilight (for the second time now) giving friendship advice like the true princess she is.

I totally called it on Reddit a while back.

Spoiler

Starlight becomes head mare and Trixie gets to be counselor.

Badges

Ep 19:

Spoiler

I guess this episode was supposed to resolve the relationship between Rarity and Spike, but it doesn't really do that. Sure, it deals with the friendship between them, but it completely ignores the romantic side of their relationship. It's possible that a future episode will resolve this but it still feels off that an episode in the last season about Rarity and Spike ignores such a big part of their relationship.

As for what the episode does do, it's meh. Rarity freaks out in a way we've seen many times before, the faces are still in the uncanny valley, and the actual story is just kinda there. It's not bad, but there's nothing that good about it. The episode is clearly supposed to be powered by the comedy, but I just don't like the "LOL RANDOM" humor it goes for.

Score: 5/10

Ep 20:

Spoiler

I really don't like the ending of this episode. Everything before seemed to be arguing against nepotism, but then Starlight just gives Sunburst the job with no interview. I don't have a problem with Sunburst getting the job in theory, but the way it's handled goes against the point of the episode. And the same goes for Trixie being counselor, except that's even worse since I don't think Trixie is a good fit for counselor. 

Also, Trixie is pretty dense. Even when Starlight point blank tells her that she isn't considering her for Vice Headmare, Trixie still thinks Starlight is going to give her the job no matter what. Add on to that a very repetitive structure with not a lot of good jokes, and you've got a very flawed episode.

Though, to be fair, there are some good things here. While most of the jokes fall flat, there are a couple lines that made me chuckle, and the voice actresses do a good job at making me care about the story despite the problems.

Score: 5/10

Badges