Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your view on Walt Disney Movies?

Coffee

As a Disney fan, I love a huge majority of them. The Animated films are more enjoyable than the Live-action films though. And that's me giving a short answer

• Brohoof 3

They're okay but now days l don't like them at all because their live movies are bad like the Lion King that is coming out very soon and it has a low rating just like the other live Disney movies. So that's why l don't watch live Disney movies anymore.

Anyways yeah they are okay movies imo and l'm not talking about the live ones. Most Disney movies are pretty boring and they always have to have a stupid animal in every movie that l know of, but some movies l do like.

Btw l'm not a kid irl so yeah duh the movies are boring for me

Their animated movies are usually amazing but their live action stuff is hit or miss, and the live-action remakes are awful

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, EDITH said:

Their animated movies are usually amazing but their live action stuff is hit or miss, and the live-action remakes are awful

I beg to differ. I thought Beauty and the Beast remake made enough changes so it's not just the exact same details as the animated versions. At least LeFou learns how awful Gaston really is and stops following him and Beast actually apologizes to Belle for imprisoning her father.

I love both films for trying different things from each other. Especially since stories are retold with changes all the time.

The fact that Disney seems to own every movie-related company in North America nowadays is a bit unsettling to me, since a huge chunk of movies being made in Hollywood are essentially "controlled" by one huge company. And their obsession with remaking animated movies in live action is going too far (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, etc. didn't need to be remade, they're classics as they are (honestly, I fear these movies ruining the originals for me so much I refused to watch any with the exception of The Jungle Book one)).

But I can't lie, I can't dislike Disney, specially not their movies, namely the animated ones. They still make you feel curious, happy, sad, confused, etc. like they always have (like with Zootopia or Moana, as of recent movies). They also own Marvel and are responsible for the MCU that I adore. So I love Disney movies and probably always will.

• Brohoof 2

I mostly like them very very much and they barely ever made a bad movie so far, only if I don't count the sequels and live action movies.

I despise the recent live action remakes, not mainly because of the execution of those films, but because of the reason why they were decided to be made in the first place.

They should make some more original stuff. (even most of their work had a source material like fairy tales, but you know what I mean.) That's what makes Disney Disney. (feels like the animation studio version of Valve) They are making something less of an art and more of a product these days. (Moana was ok, but Frozen feels more like that) I was also disappointed to hear that they were gonna make Frozen 2.

• Brohoof 1

My view on them? I look at them with my eyes, that's how I view them.

Serious answer: Disney quality is hit or miss. The only relatively consistent period in Disney's history was the '90s, and even then, Pocahontas existed. Nowadays Disney movies all feel soulless, including Pixar.

• Brohoof 2

I love all the classic animated and most of the older live-action ones. The newer live-action remakes (Shaggy Dog, Flubber, etc.) sucked compared to the originals. The new live-action versions of the animated classics started off okay with Cinderella (with a few notable missteps) but have gone steadily downhill as Disney has diluted more and more story with their politics; Beauty and the Beast being the worst of all, which pains me to say because the animated original is my favorite movie. Replacing the basics of the plot for a deluge of recycled alternate lyrics, songs or storylines that were tossed out of the animated film for a reason doesn’t make it a good movie, just a desperate one devoid of any good new material. It’s a cash grab that’s paid off but I don’t like it. I love a lot of the CG movies from Disney Animation though like Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Zootopia and Big Hero 6 to name a few. I’m afraid Frozen 2 is going to be a step in the wrong direction though.  

• Brohoof 3

Oh, I saw at the cinema as a kid: Oliver & Company, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, Toy Story, Pocahontas.

There is a reason why Pocahontas is last in that list: What happened to the animation? What happened to Disney? Etc etc.

Is there any Disney today that I like? Probably not, I can't think about anything that has that quality of the past classics. Oh and the past past classics, like Cinderella, they are just as great as ever!

• Brohoof 2

Walt Disney was a visionary and a great artist. He may have his flaws, but he never lets his flaws blind his vision in making memorable classics. Taking stories that were in the public domain and Disney-fying them. Walt Disney Animations is what gave birth and influence to the Anime Industry in Japan.

Fantasia is beautiful, along with Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs, and Pinnochio. The Disney shorts involving Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy were no slouches either although some of them came across a bit too propagandistic and dated which is to be expected since Warner Bros. were no different back then. Their timeless humor does hold up though alongside Tom & Jerry.

The animations of these old animated films hold up even to this day. I will always have respect for Hand Drawn Animations far more so than Flash. I know you can do a similar process in Flash where you can animate similarly to Hand Drawn. However, nothing beats the amount of time, effort, struggle, and patience of drawing that piece of animation over and over till it looks like eye candy. Walt Disney IMO would be ashamed for what his company has become.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Their animated movies are almost always great. They should concentrate on that and not trying to buy up the whole world.

Some of the underrated ones are some I like best like Atlantis and The Black Cauldron. About the only one I don't like is Chicken Little.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like the older movies, particularly late 90s-early 00s. My favorites are Atlantis, Treasure Planet (yes), and Hunchback of Notre Dame. I’m not a fan of the more recent movies/Pixar movies as I really dislike CGI animation :eww:. It doesn’t look realistic, just childish and over the top.

Edited by SparklingCaps
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think even their more classic films are a bit overrated, but they did used to be fairly respectable with (usually, but not always) making quality films. In the last 10 or 15 years they have become a corporate monstrosity that ruins everything they touch. They've dug their dirty little fingers into Pixar and LucasFilms among other things to make each company a shadow of their former selves. Pixar before Disney quite literally never released a bad movie. Their worst movie before Disney bought them out was f***ing Bug's Life (which was really just okay). Now we have the horrible messes that were Brave, Cars 2, and The Good Dinosaur. They also have released the mediocrity that was Monster's University as well as, from what I've heard, Cars 3. 

I'll give them credit where it is due. Yes, they made Mulan (The first one) and Emperor's New Groove, which both stand to be among my favorite animated films of all time and yes they also made plenty of other, from what I've heard, good films that I've never seen. But remember that not everything they make is good. You have Frozen, a mediocre and highly overrated film. You have all of their Direct to Video sequels that were downright terrible (especially Mulan II). You also have Chicken Little... And you get the point. They don't always hit the mark, and to be honest from what I've seen they're actually pretty hit or miss even not accounting for the tarnished Star Wars movies and how they indirectly ruined Pixar's reputation.

In other words, my reputation of them is a bit mixed and it's beginning to lean to the negative side more. :dry:

Edited by Barik

Most Disney movies I'm fine with, except the recent remakes that have been and are being released. If Disney focused on making new, original movies instead of capitalizing on past movies' successes by remaking them, I'd appreciate modern-day Disney movies more.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:42 AM, ~Dusky~ said:

Now we have the horrible messes that were Brave, ...

what was wrong with brave?

i thought it was pretty good

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, mini said:

what was wrong with brave?

i thought it was pretty good

I didn't feel that the movie had real heart or soul in it. Also, the story to me seemed like a total afterthought. I mean if you like the movie, I suppose that's fine, but I thought it was a total disaster especially for Pixar.

(edited)
On 2019-07-16 at 1:43 AM, Emerald<3 said:

I love Disney!

My favorite one is actually one of its underrated titles, The Aristocats. 

Disney 

Aristocats is a fun movie! :)

Edited by Starry Sky
  • Brohoof 3