Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Have you seen the Lion King?

DubWolf

Poll  

43 users have voted

1. 1. Have you seen The Lion King (1994)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bits and pieces and know enough
    • Bits and pieces but don’t remember much

Live action remake of the movie comes out tomorrow. Have you seen the original 1994 version though :sunbutt: ? Not everyone has seen every classic Disney movie (and if you have you’re not everyone :orly: ), so I imagine The Lion King could be one of those unseen movies.

Ive seen it, and it’s fun to quote it :P . Haven’t seen the whole movie in all it’s entirety in probably quite a while...

A little special to me since it came the same year I was born (a couple months after).

• Brohoof 1

I have watched the original, most people have. It's still popular nowadays, proving that the remake was unecessary.

I won't watch the remake unless someone pays for me to go. I've heard it's a literal remake of the 25-year-old movie, same songs, same characters, same plot but with different animation (which is the best thing going for it) and voice actors. Not only that, I never asked for Beyonce to sing the romantic song of a movie I have adored since I was a child.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen it at least twice (possibly more?) – the Finnish dub as a kid, and later the English version. :) I also saw The Lion King II fairly soon after its release, though I remember very little about it (I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one, though).

As for the live-action remake, I'm not interested in watching it – I don't really see the point. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 3

Some part of my life somewhat got defined by that movie. I saw it at the cinema when it was first released in 1994. I like it. I think it is impossible to animate something better, so it was pretty much the last Disney movie I accepted (thank Pocahontas for that)

• Brohoof 1

I think I've seen the original once, the second one twice, and 1 1/2 a good few. I think the original was an overrated film (still fairly good, but overrated), the sequel was mediocre, and 1 and 1/2 was okay.

100% of the people said yes not  surprised everyone should know what the Lion King is by now it’s a beloved Disney Classic that will never Be forgotten. I’m still excited for the new live action Lion  king movie  tomorrow thou 

For a long time Be Prepared was my favorite Disney song, but has since been supplanted by Friends on the Other Side. I get the live action versions are cash cows, but I’m not seeing them, and the only good one I’ve seen is the Pooh movie. I may be a little biased, as Ewan Mcgregor is my favorite actor.

I watched the original multiple times, I think its one of the best cartoon movies ever, and probably my favorite. Tomorrow I will watch the remake, some of the remakes are good, like the jungle book in 2016, it was definitely better than the original in my opinion.

Yes, I have seen the original movie. It is one of my favorite 2D movies produced by Disney. The music is wonderful, has a lot of great moments, and the voice acting is great. When I was a child, I watched this movie all of the time along with Aladdin.

I remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and when the 3d version came out years ago. I’ve been told that the remake is pretty much just a shot for shot remake of the original. So I will be skipping it like all the others. Disney needs to stop it with double-dipping into their movie library. I will not be giving Disney anymore of my money. 

Shocked :wacko: . I guess the polls may be different if the crowd was a bit younger.

Classic Disney movies I haven’t seen enough to recall very well:

Pocahontas

Snow White

Pinocchio

Euhh...

@WWolf moving to Media. 

And I absolutely have seen Lion King .... was my favorite animated film until being passed by some of the later Disney/Pixar films. Still a phenomenal movie and I watch it at least once a year. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, WWolf said:

Shocked :wacko: . I guess the polls may be different if the crowd was a bit younger.

You callin' me old, punk? Huh? Are ya? Huh?

• Brohoof 1

Spoiler

Yes has 100% (at this moment and probably forever)

I think Lion King is a good subject to talk to if you ever find problems talking to a new friend!

Well of course. It is in fact among my favorite animated movies of all time. A true masterpiece. I saw the cgi "live action" remake today. It has been getting a lot of negative comments recently, so I was curious to see what I would think. And just as most people also say, it's almost a shot for shot remake of the original with a few lines, shots and choreography changed here and there to make it fit with the more realistic theme.

Honestly, I don't think it deserves all the negative criticism it's getting. The movie was - just as the original - very good.  It is the same movie after all. What you could argue is, however, that since the movie is meant to be more realistic looking (And it really is! The team has done an amazing job, the landscape almost looks like it's filmed in real locations) they are unable to include these silly moments or artistic scenes such as the scene with the animals during the song "I just can't wait to be king". Since they aren't going with the animated look, they are unable to give the animals certain expressions and quirks that made their characters unique and interesting in the original. This is a fair criticism but again, as the point with this movie is to make it more realistic I believe they did it really well.

Lastly I see a lot of people shitting on the movie because they did not take any risks by making changes to the story and they are only making this movie for nostalgia cash grabs. While this might be true, I think that 1. This is what I prefer. I would have been sad to see them change the story I love so much. That's why I went to see the film after all. 2. This is criticism that should be targeted towards Disney, not the movie. The reason why the film was made should not matter if the film itself is good.

I'd like to say that there's clearly a lot of talent behind the live action remake coming out tomorrow. That said, it's lifeless, colorless, unexpressive, and has no character.. I wouldn't rather watch a Lion King themed nature documentary than the original. This and every other live action remake are gonna be a hard pass from me.

8 minutes ago, Jokuc said:

Honestly, I don't think it deserves all the negative criticism it's getting. The movie was - just as the original - very good.  It is the same movie after all. What you could argue is, however, that since the movie is meant to be more realistic looking (And it really is! The team has done an amazing job, the landscape almost looks like it's filmed in real locations) they are unable to include these silly moments or artistic scenes such as the scene with the animals during the song "I just can't wait to be king". Since they aren't going with the animated look, they are unable to give the animals certain expressions and quirks that made their characters unique and interesting in the original. This is a fair criticism but again, as the point with this movie is to make it more realistic I believe they did it really well

That's exactly the issue. The original Lion King is good, so of course the remake is gonna be good by default as long as it's true to the source material. The visuals are definitely impressive but they're unfitting, and the story itself is impressive but that's because it's literally from a movie that already exists and nearly everyone loves.